News   Mar 28, 2024
 125     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 231     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

John Street Revitalization

It’s only been utility work so far. No streetscape work, started off north of Queen then slowly made its way down.

Here’s how it looks now:
02E994D0-E7CC-48AA-978A-8733AB7DABE4.jpeg

and you can see the patch of construction they did south of King:
B9A6F827-264F-457E-9E8B-858693B1C380.jpeg

My memory is a bit foggy on the exact timeline but just north and south of King was under construction (through the night too) for at least a few months with lanes closed.

Cycling on John St. used to be part of my regular commute — looking at these photos is giving me flashbacks and making me glad that for all the bad this past year has brought at least I don't have to navigate that nightmare anymore haha

None of John Street is set to be prettified in the year ahead.

Construction of the new John Street deferred to 2022 and beyond as per this budget note in the Transportation Services Capital Budget.

1610726594534.png

Attachments

• 1610726561400.png
    1610726561400.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 203
So.....

As I'm walking south along John Street this morning, from Grange Park...........

Hmmm, this looks new...............

1629482854957.png

How new?

1629482900092.png

This area, in theory, will be subject to the John Street Revitalization........next year.

The plans do not call for a white concrete sidewalk here

So we (The City) just spent money doing this, so we can rip it out in 8 or so months, all going well..............SMH.

Yeah, I was thinking that...

...what was the condition of the sidewalk before that patch? I mean, if was so that anyone in a wheelchair was toppling over anytime they passed over it, I could see The City wanting do something about it before they're hit with liability cases that could end up being more of an expense. Not everything The City does is a make work project.

Yeah, I was thinking that...

...what was the condition of the sidewalk before that patch? I mean, if was so that anyone in a wheelchair was toppling over anytime they passed over it, I could see The City wanting do something about it before they're hit with liability cases that could end up being more of an expense. Not everything The City does is a make work project.

The project was originally organized with the idea that the revitalization construction crew would immediately follow Hydro down the street.

As such, you would only rebuild it once.

Somewhere along the line, the idea became that Hydro would get to finish the entire street before the revitalization work began.

As usual, wherever you find Toronto Hydro you find bad ideas and bad project management.

The project was originally organized with the idea that the revitalization construction crew would immediately follow Hydro down the street.

Somewhere along the line, the idea became that Hydro would get to finish the entire street before the revitalization work began.

As usual, wherever you find Toronto Hydro you find bad ideas and bad project management.
So was this Hydro's or The City's patchwork? Nor does it rule out the said area at some point deemed hazardous to traverse while awaiting for Hydro to move on this with their thumbs up it, either way...

...it's the only reason why I can see for the "quick fix" here. Unless you know of something else that is going on.

As a reminder, the John St EA was undertaken in 2012, so just 10 years between the study and construction start... I wonder, if the study were done today, would the recommendations be different? I really believe there is a strong case for completely pedestrianizing John Street between Grange Park and Rogers Centre. Looking at the Yonge Tomorrow study i feel like that wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

As a reminder, the John St EA was undertaken in 2012, so just 10 years between the study and construction start... I wonder, if the study were done today, would the recommendations be different? I really believe there is a strong case for completely pedestrianizing John Street between Grange Park and Rogers Centre. Looking at the Yonge Tomorrow study i feel like that wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Interesting thought.

Though, omitting any issues w/the way laneways are set up to function, and assuming deliveries can be managed, you still have about 4 significant buildings whose parking is accessed directly from John Street.

That might be problematic.

Though one (Festival Hall/Scotiabank cinema) will be torn down in the next little while.

The surface parking wrapping the Hooters might be an issue, but is also accessible off Adelaide.

The surface parking wrapping the Hooters might be an issue, but is also accessible off Adelaide.
I would argue surface parking over Hooters would be an evolutionary step here...if we could live with something more useful to be built there in the future instead.

I would argue surface parking over Hooters would be an evolutionary step here...if we could live with something more useful to be built there in the future instead.

I was specifically answering @Yegger 's post which mused about going 100% pedestrian on John Street.

The point being you can't have a 100% pedestrian block and access to/from a parking lot.

Last edited:

Yes, it's the Toronto way. Why do it properly once when you can spend lots more money and do it 2-5 times?

Back