John Lorinc: The Perfect Slogan for Toronto

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Final thought: The perfect slogan for Toronto, coined by a citizen genius

May 27, 2007 04:30 AM
John Lorinc
Special to the Star

In the course of Toronto's tortured search for a catchy brand, documented in these pages last Sunday by Leah Sandals, the perfect slogan has been hidden in plain view.

Ever since city officials and destination marketing experts began building the inevitable camel, I've wondered why we didn't scrap the consultants' reports and simply nominate Marshall McLuhan's prescient expression, "the global village" – an organic but universally recognized phrase that succinctly acknowledges Toronto's best features.

The case for "Toronto: The Global Village" works on several levels:

With apologies to fans of Northrop Frye and Harold Innis, McLuhan is arguably Toronto's greatest intellectual export – an iconoclast who anticipated the future of communications and the media. His axiom described how "hot" media, like television – or, in our era, the Internet – collapse the distances between nations, peoples, cultures.

How much of McLuhan's thinking was influenced by this city I can't say. But "global village" comes as close to capturing the essential Toronto as anything I've read.

First, we are a city of urban villages. Toronto may not be especially adroit at commissioning great buildings or revitalizing its waterfront. But the city has evolved into a magnificent tapestry of livable, diverse neighbourhoods, each with its own nuances and inflections, one melding effortlessly, but distinctively, into the next.

Toronto is also a city that has given itself over to a kind of recombinant cosmopolitanism unseen anywhere else in the world. About 44 per cent of Torontonians were born abroad, a statistic that makes us the most ethnically diverse city on Earth. In New York and London, by comparison, foreign-born residents account for only a quarter of their respective populations. Our civic identity is thoroughly, unflinchingly, global.

But there's an additional, less literal, layer of meaning. McLuhan concerned himself with the new media universe. Perhaps not coincidentally, Toronto since his day has become a city steeped in the art, science and business of communication. Combined, Toronto's film/TV, culture/arts, information and communications technology sectors generate over $40 billion in annual revenues and employ 300,000 people.

Much of Canada's media is headquartered here, and the city's most famous icon, the CN Tower, was originally built as a radio communications beacon. Indeed, as recently as last week, amidst all the media genuflecting about foreign takeovers, Toronto's Thomson Corp., one of the world's information giants, acquired Reuters, a global communications brand if ever there was one.

What's the link between this multicultural city of urban villages and Toronto's powerful knowledge economy? I'd argue that a metropolis like ours simply couldn't function without a collective compulsion to communicate with one another as a means of reducing social distance and tearing away linguistic barriers. McLuhan's global village was an academic abstraction that has found physical expression in this city, at this time.

City brands, of course, shouldn't be over-interpreted – that's not their role. But unlike all those clunky predecessor slogans, "Toronto: The Global Village" is not a square cliché being jammed into this round hole. Rather, these words work because they resonate with the ring of truth. Quite simply, McLuhan's phrase tells our story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Journalist John Lorinc is the author of The New City (Penguin Canada, 2006).

It may be a descriptive phrase, but it sure is not unique to Toronto or inspirational.

Next suggestion please.

If used, the word "village" will come back to haunt us at some point.

I like understatement. 'Village' is much safer than some boastful word. Anyone trying to take a swipe at us were we to use the word village in the slogan would be shown up for the clueless lout they are. There is real beauty in the phrase Global Village because of the juxtaposition of the immense and the small. Village brings Global down to scale, reduces the boast, make the reader consider the point.

I Love New York is extremely generic in a way, and maybe that's what has made it so iconic as a slogan. Toronto - the Global Village has a chance in that regard too.

It can't hurt to give it a whirl. If it fails, there are always more consultants lined up at the door.

Suggest you keep the wisecracks to a minimum. Or take a brand identity workshop at the Learning Annex.

Because it's a great idea. It is legitimate, accurate, descriptive, memorable and (bonus round) even references a home-grown intellectual giant/visionary.

It's easy to own... exquisite "forest for the trees" idea. Three thumbs up.

I like it. It works both locally and globally, and we can claim ownership of this particular "brand" because of the McLuhan connection.

I really liked the slogan post-Sars: Toronto - You belong here.

I've this whimsical fear that kids might associate it with Global Television, just as they used to think Dominion Day had something to do with a grocery chain...

Hi all you TO'ers.

I've just been following your slogan thread and thought I'd serve something up.

Today and yesterday, I attended the trial of Antonio Batista who's charged with "uttering a death threat and intimidation" for a poem he wrote and sent to Mississauga Councillor Pat Saito.

Just have to go to my notes... born 1931, Portuguese, came to Canada in April, 1964. Lived up until the last few years in Toronto. So far as I'm concerned Mr. Batiste is a Torontonian.

In one of his letters to Pat Saito, he urged putting drinking fountains in all Mississauga parks "like they do in Toronto" because "the kids deserve a little better in life."

But here's what really left an impression and I want to convey this to you TO-ers. In a city where I'm forever reminded of being "The Best in Canada" "The Best" "The Best" "The Best", Torontonian Antonio Batista had this to say at his trial.

Clayton Ruby asked why he wrote the letter. Mr. Batista responded:

"we should be treated well by these people and we are not."

and here it is:

"I believe that the City of Mississauga should not be any less than Toronto."

Oh, how I wished that Hazel McCallion could've heard that!

In that courtroom yesterday, on that stand? He sounded like one very homesick Torontonian. You-all should be very proud.

"I believe that the City of Mississauga should not be any less than Toronto." Antonio Batista.

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

Sounds a little too pretentious. We need something with more pizzaz like...
Las Vegas - What Happens Here, Stays Here.
or
Yuma, Arizona - Experience Our Sense of Yuma. :D
or
Hershey, PA - The Sweetest Place on Earth.

Those seem to stick because people can relate.

Here are some other suggestions...

Toronto - Global Village. On One Full Tank.

Toronto - The World. Up Close and Personal.

Toronto - "How's it going, eh?"

Toronto - Sunny Days Don’t Necessarily Mean Warm Days.

Back