News   Jul 12, 2024
 830     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 747     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 317     0 

John Lorinc: The Perfect Slogan for Toronto

The idea has merit. I think this would've been a great idea quite a few years ago - but the "global village" is such a familiar phrase I don't know if it could be successfully be applied to Toronto without people thinking of some sort of high-tech commercial.

Borrowing from Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, how about "Toronto - Less is More"?

We have created a city that is more livable and more attractive with less world-class architecture, less great street furniture, a less attractive waterfront and less subway lines than other major cities. Not to mention less funding from senior levels of government.

The problem with that is most people believe more is more - thus the advertising campaign would have to do more than generate recognition in a receiver, leading them to action, but it would have to fundamentally alter the way people think.

No way would we ever hope to have a budget of the size necessary to do the job.

If you look carefully along the bottom of the Scotiabank windows on the north side of 390 Bay, you'll see a leftover 70s "Affectionately Yours" sticker...

"You belong in this global village here where less is more but good enough to be the most livable city, affectionately yours."

I really liked the 2008 Olympic Bid slogan: Expect The World. I think that could be applied to the city too, although it might make the city sound like some sort of multicultural theme park.

... without a theme.

Nine days in England, and the only mentions of Canada I've seen in the media have been TV and print reviews of The Drowsy Chaperone ( which opened in London ), a TV piece about some vandalized concrete cows in Milton Keynes that were designed by a Canadian artist, and travel print pieces about how lovely Vancouver and Alberta are at this time of year ...

..not Fafard's cows, how could anyone defile such wonderful creations :(

Global village sounds like a good one to me, especially when you consider that it is term that was coined by one of Toronto's most notable citizens.

'You Belong Here' was fine- catchy but imho quite fleeting.

"You belong here" is okay, but for me it's a bit too mushy and doesn't say anything about what the city is all about.

It almost sounds like it's speaking to immigrants, not tourists. Is that what we want?

I like "Expect the world" as an Olympic slogan, but it's not quite right for the city itself, I think. It's on the right track though. It might grow on me. Expect World Class? Just kidding.

I know I haven't offered an alternative here. I once suggested "Come see what a city can be" but it was shot down on this or another forum. I don't like it that much either anymore, but at least it's not nothing.

The coos are by Liz Leyh. Doing beastly and despicable things to them - chopping their heads off and moving them to different locations - has been a hobby of the local vandals for years.

Back