News   May 01, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 304     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 349     0 

IT-Works! (Liberty Village, 4x 2-9s)

It might be a little hasty for me to say this, but this sounds like it's going to be an architectural disaster. A long series of office park-like buildings with advertising rights? I think we can expect an elongated version of TLS along the north side of the railway tracks.

Damn, I was hoping demolition would come to that pathetic 1-storey 80's retail strip with the Burger King, as well as the street-deadening city facility just east of it.

Don't dis said "street-deadening city facility". The original parts are classic 1930s R.C. Harris fare; the 50s additions are in keeping...

I guess this proposed office development for LV is still alive:)

OFFICE BLDG
Proj: 1260393-29
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS

IT Works, Phase One, King St at Dufferin St, M6K
$20,860,000 est Start: June, 2011
Note: This project has been placed on hold by the owner. Detailed design is complete for this project and for phases two through four, report number 9073107. Schedules for working drawings, tender for general contractor and construction are undetermined based on final municipal approvals and the owner's decision to proceed. Further update early winter 2011.
Project:... proposed construction of a commercial office building.
Scope:...140,000 square feet; 7 storeys
Development: New
Category:...Commercial offices

OFFICE BUILDINGS
Proj: 9073107-12
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS

IT Works Phases Two to Four, King St at Dufferin St, M6K
$44,700,000 est Start: 2012
Note: This project has been placed on hold by the owner. Detailed design is complete for this project and for phase one, report number 1260393. Schedules for working drawings, tender for geeral contractor and construction are undetermined based on final municipal approvals and the owner's decision to proceed. Further update early winter 2011.
Project: proposed construction of three 100,000 sq ft, seven storey office buildings.
Scope:300,000 square feet; 7 storeys; 1 storey below grade; 3 structures
Development:...New
Category:..Commercial offices

It say placed on hold though ?

It say placed on hold though ?

Yeah your right taal, i think since this development is going to be built at the most southern part of this neighbourhood, the developer is probably waiting for a commitment from the city regarding the development of the new east-west roadway...before investing down there.

The City of Toronto is studying the possibility of constructing a new east-west street along the south end of the Liberty neighbourhood between Dufferin Street and Strachan Avenue. The new street would provide the opportunity to improve circulation for all modes of travel and support community development.......http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/liberty3ea/ ........ http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/libertynewst/
Public Open House #1 is June 20, 2011.

A bit off topic, but i posted this a while back somewhere on UT regarding the soon to be vacant Canada Bread property on Mowat and Fraser streets.
The city is looking at keeping this part of West Liberty an employment area:cool:....no condos

Since the bakery is located on city-zoned Employment Lands, she notes that anyone hoping to put up a condo on the prime piece of real estate will be in for a major battle with the city. "Residential is coming in around the area, but from Hanna to Dufferin and King Street down to the railroad tracks we are an employment area and Toronto planning is very adamant that the area remain and be protected as an employment area."
http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/01/canada_bread_closing_and_the_end_of_industry_in_liberty_village/

So this whole area, along with King west is interesting in terms of employment. It manages to remain quite attractive to small / medium size business, a lot of them in the media / software development industries.

Regarding the Canada breads site, I think we'll be hard pressed to attract another industrial tenant, so redevelopment will probably be necessary eventually.

So this whole development is interesting as that is a TON of office space. Look at the Queen Richmomd center project, at about 280,000 square feet and it took them years to get started (which they're not yet :). This area is arguable less attractive, lower rents though, but it'll probably take more time.

I'd love to see this area retain and even improve employment.

At first I thought the entire liberty village area was a write off but the developments and retail on the west side of the project (i.e. in the converted buildings) are very interesting and make for a pretty vibrant neighborhood, lots available for lease though.

It Works includes the Canada Breads site. The site beside Canada Breads on Mowat was recently cleared and, IRCC, would be where the first phase will rise. I don't have a lot of hope forthis project though. The proposed 42 Fraser has been pre-leasing for years.

On hold but not dead .....http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/The-Company/Projects/Daily-Top-10/

OFFICE BUILDINGS Proj: 9073107-17
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON PREPARING PLANS
IT Works, Phase Two to Four, King St at Dufferin St, M6K
$44,700,000 est

Start: 2016 Complete: 2017

Note: This project has been placed on hold by the owner. Preliminary design is complete for this project and for phase 1, report number 1260393. Schedules for working drawings, tender for general contractor and construction are undetermined pending final municipal planning approvals and the owner's decision to proceed. Further update early 2015.
Project: proposed construction of three 100,000 sq ft, seven storey office buildings.
Scope: 300,000 square feet; 7 storeys; 1 storey below grade; 3 structures
Development: New
Category: Commercial offices

First report Thu Nov 01, 2007. Last report Tue Mar 12, 2013.
This report Tue Jul 29, 2014.

Back