News   Apr 26, 2024
 599     2 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 705     0 

Is Toronto Beautiful?

Toronto Core is beautiful. Someone completely disagreeing with that is just arguing for the sake of arguing. However, I do agree Toronto is ugly once you leave the core (York Region, Central Scarborough, Weston, North Etobicoke, etc...).

Personally, I feel that I live and work in the ugliest areas of Toronto. So I know what ugly is and the City Core it ain't (did I say that right?)

I don't think anybody is suggesting that Toronto is without redemption. No question there are nice buildings, nice streets and nice places to visit. We just need to build on these things!

The problem here is with the wider and more prevailing context of ugliness, shoddiness and disrepair that characterizes the overall look/feel of the place, and even in the most central and 'touristy' of areas. As a case in point, the new AGO is great (see Torontothegreat's pic) but the park and streetscapes around it are an embarrassing and unsightly mess. To be considered 'beautiful' we need to do better than this.

Positives to note:
a) changes are being made all the time that are encouraging
b) Simple improvements can make a huge difference, i.e. the implementation of basic standards regarding street furnishings, pavements and repairs etc. would go a long way.

Challenges:
a) Toronto needs to tackle some problems that require more long term solutions, i.e. burying hydro wires little by little, greening/improving the public realm through street plantings etc.
b) Toronto needs to invest funds to make itself beautiful, and this is a challenge in a reactionary and polarized city that essentially views itself as broke. In other words, it will be an uphill battle to get people to understand that they should be spending anything on these things at all, not to mention political suicide in many cases.

Problem is that in attempting to clean up the city the baby is being tossed with the bathwater. Good buildings with charm and grace are being demolished, places like Liberty Village are being built. I swear Liberty Village (at least the most recent phases to the East) could rightly be deemed crimes against humanity.

I swear Liberty Village (at least the most recent phases to the East) could rightly be deemed crimes against humanity.

That's pushing it. We're not talking about Pruitt-Igoe or Robert Taylor Homes here.

Indeed, I'm even at a certain peace w/Bohemian Embarrassment now--maybe because being actually "lived-in" mitigates the damage...

Not far off though, but what makes Liberty Village so tragic is that it's essentially part of downtown, not in an outlying district. Toronto really needs to have it's nose rubbed in this one. It would be an embarrassment if it happened 50 years ago, but it's happening in our midst.

This is not a "problem", in that 20th and 21st century architecture has different aspirations, and it is not an issue confined to Toronto, since no city in the world has been able to build the kinds of spaces and places I've described in recent years, nor is Toronto absent of this kind of architecture/city experience - I alluded to the fact that I get that same response in Cabbagetown. What I'm saying is that maybe it's time to give classical 'beauty', as I've defined it, another shot. This would create the mix of styles that you're looking for, and nobody ever accused old, classical cities of being unresponsive to urban living.

The irony is that, when British, German and French archaeologists and travellers rediscovered Classical Greek temples in the 18th century, they were often shocked by the strength and apparent simplicity of the form. Buildings from the Renaissance onwards were based on Roman forms and a sense of harmony. The Palladians in England in particular had shitfits over the new ( actually very old ... ) buildings, which they described as uncouth and ugly. A similar comparison might be made between early modernism and Brutalism.

The quote below is from junctionist in the Montreal thread of this site. I thought I would repost it here because he lists a number of public realm design elements Toronto needs to think about - not just for a few blocks of a few streets, but for main streets in the entire city, or at least its core.

"Montreal is a city that knows how to fashion itself well. When you see street after street without overhead wires, with unobtrusive traffic signals with black casings coordinated with the attractive, low-profile but well-made street furniture, consistently attractive and well-scaled street lighting, you might not think about these things. You might not notice the attention to urban design, or the fact that square after square has been renovated within the last decade with excellent designs, either. You might notice the fine design of the subway stations because it's a rare thing to see, down to the easy electronic payment system, sleek Modernist signage, intense calming blue lighting on platforms at the 'designated waiting areas' and even a pleasant, polished tone preceding announcements at stations.

But in the end, you just say "what a beautiful city". The history, architecture, and culture shines through. The refinement of the small details reassures you (even unconsciously) that the more noticeable stuff like the buildings, retail, institutions is great, too. There may be even more impressive cities out there, but many haven't yet achieved such a great job of presenting themselves, inspiring mixed emotions."

The quote below is from junctionist in the Montreal thread of this site. I thought I would repost it here because he lists a number of public realm design elements Toronto needs to think about - not just for a few blocks of a few streets, but for main streets in the entire city, or at least its core.

"Montreal is a city that knows how to fashion itself well. When you see street after street without overhead wires, with unobtrusive traffic signals with black casings coordinated with the attractive, low-profile but well-made street furniture, consistently attractive and well-scaled street lighting, you might not think about these things. You might not notice the attention to urban design, or the fact that square after square has been renovated within the last decade with excellent designs, either. You might notice the fine design of the subway stations because it's a rare thing to see, down to the easy electronic payment system, sleek Modernist signage, intense calming blue lighting on platforms at the 'designated waiting areas' and even a pleasant, polished tone preceding announcements at stations.

But in the end, you just say "what a beautiful city". The history, architecture, and culture shines through. The refinement of the small details reassures you (even unconsciously) that the more noticeable stuff like the buildings, retail, institutions is great, too. There may be even more impressive cities out there, but many haven't yet achieved such a great job of presenting themselves, inspiring mixed emotions."

But all that stuff is for latte sipping elitists. Toronto is all Tim Hortons and proud of it, no?

Sarcasm aside I do wonder just how much of a lobby there is in Toronto for 'city beautiful' initiatives?

On the one hand it is somewhat understandable that the average Hortons-snorting hoser doesn't care too much about street-scapes or urban design... on the other hand many Toronto urbanites, who we would expect to favour such things (as they tend to do in other cities), are often more inclined to be of a 'bread not circuses' bent... which is maybe just a newer, 'cooler' incarnation of Toronto dowdiness?

Sarcasm aside I do wonder just how much of a lobby there is in Toronto for 'city beautiful' initiatives?

On the one hand it is somewhat understandable that the average Hortons-snorting hoser doesn't care too much about street-scapes or urban design... on the other hand many Toronto urbanites, who we would expect to favour such things (as they tend to do in other cities), are often more inclined to be of a 'bread not circuses' bent... which is maybe just a newer, 'cooler' incarnation of Toronto dowdiness?

This thread become just another forum for bashing Toronto. What a load of bunk !

Back