News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 408     0 

Is the west side of Toronto more prominent than the east side?

One East End neighborhood that really shines, in my opinion, is The Beach. I think part of the reason is that it offers and excellent stock of older, mid-rise rental apartments right along Queen, and an overall greater variety of housing options than the remainder of the East End. Of course, Woodbine beach is a major draw, and the Jazz Festival really puts the neighborhood on the map. Riverdale along Broadview is another excellent area.

Aside from those two, however, I feel that each of the remaining individual neighborhoods make poor cousins to their western counterparts. East Chinatown vs west Chinatown, Danforth vs Bloor, Little India vs Little Portugal, etc. That is, of course, not to say that they aren't worthwhile on their own, or that they do not contribute to Toronto's great variety and vibrancy. It's just that in the context of this thread, along the imaginary Yonge Street divide, this is how I would personally allocate preference and perceived prominence.

I think this is a very good assessment. Both the Beaches and Riverdale are very nice neighborhoods - that's reflected in real estate prices as well, I don't you'd pay any different for an equivalent west end house (Beaches and High Park are pretty similar I think, for example). But the gritty-but-gentrifying neighorhoods of the west end impress more than their east end counterparts.

That realtor sounds like your typical snake oil salesman. These cats are always cynically dissing some nabes and talking up others, depending on their turf.

Both are fine neighbourhoods, offering similar things. Beyond that, it's down to personal preferences and one's degree of comfort / familiarity with the area.

Some comparisons between the west end (wards 13, 14, 18 and 19) and east end (wards 30 and 32):

Renters:

West end: 52%
East end: 39%

Live in apartment:

West end: 60%
East end: 38%

University degree:

West end: 44%
East end: 44%

Post-graduate degree:

West end: 17%
East end: 16%

$100,000+ household income:

West end: 27%
East end: 34%

$150,000+ household income:

West end: 13%
East end: 19%

Low income:

West end: 17%
East end: 16%

Average personal income:

West end: $45,763
East end: $54,255

Another notable distinction. As I expected, there's a lot of truth to the perception that the west end is young and childless, the east end is more family-oriented.

Ages 25-34:

West end: 22.8%
East end: 14.9%

Under 15:

West end: 12.5%
East end: 16.1%

Both of these age groups make up 15% of the population of Toronto.

I guess that's why you hear about people moving to Riverdale "for the schools." You don't really hear that for the west end so much.

Last edited:
Some older data on commuting to work (2006).

Auto

West end: 47%
East end: 54%

Transit

West end: 38%
East end: 35%

Which leaves about 15% and 11%, respectively, for walking and biking.

Those are some interesting statistics King of Kensington. I would be interested in knowing the population or catchment area they are talking about.

But then you need to add Playtor Estates to Prime Riverdale and not include South Riverdale, and your back in the same league.

I was already including Playter Estates, which is nothing like Baby Point or Swansea. The small area of Playter Estates that has the nice homes reminds me more of High Park homes.

Back