News   Jul 31, 2024
 411     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 622     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 496     0 

Is the Core poised to destroy itself (downtown congestion)?

With frequencies of less than 15 minutes at peak hours on the lakeshore line, I fail to see how those passengers can be carried on smaller trains.

I don't think anyone is suggesting reducing capacity for GO.

I'd keep the bilevels and reserve them for peak/shoulder peak express regional service, and keep smaller trains for midday, weekend and evening service at 15-20-30 minute frequencies (as demand warrants), and for local all-stop service that would be used to provide 15 minute service to the inner stops, like Weston, Mimico, etc, plus new stops like Parkdale, Mount Dennis.

Re: Re: Is the Core poised to destroy itself?

Transform the GO Richmond Hill line into an all-day, every-ten-minute express service. I'd:

- insert a new transfer stop by creating turning a TTC stop on the Danforth line into an intermodal TTC/GO station, for transfers to the Bloor-Danforth line.

- merge the Oriole GO and Leslie TTC subway stations. Properly -- not just the long-promised delivery of some walkway, but one merged structure which encourages transfers. Yeah, onto the Sheppard line.

- merge the Langstaff GO station and nuttily-named Richmond Hill Centre VIVA/YRT stations. Again, properly -- not just some lonely walkway opening through a chain-link fence in the middle of a giant parking lot, but integrated in a way that encourages transfers. Heck, even inside an enclosed structure. And, okay, still in a giant parking lot, albeit next to a giant movie theatre.

Still. That gives you what's basically a north-south express line that shifts traffic off the congested Yonge Street line, bypasses the congested Yonge-Bloor station, trades traffic with the B-D, Sheppard, and VIVA east-west lines, and gets a bunch more people in York Region out of their cars on a daily basis. You'd want YRT to integrate better with the new and improved Langstaff station by considering hubbing my routes through it.

Which is when GO unveils its evil genius scheme to partner with a not-so-risk-adverse real estate developer, put underground parking beneath where its surface parking is now, and roll out a series of jaw-droppingly cool, family-friendly condo buidings at every GO train stop. Each atop a street-facing retail podium. Each of which, whatever else it had, would have a café and a gym Members of which would, naturally, have access to all other GO-colocated gyms, too.

... and, uh, presto. No impending crisis. :eek

Major Transportation Improvements Needed NOW!

I guess the question comes down to weather the city of Toronto is ready to handle the influx of new visitors, workers and residents into the western part of the city core. As we currently speak, the simple answer is NO.

Improvements to the downtown infrastructure should have been completed years ago; instead we are playing catch up now and its already too late.

To recap what is happening today:

Transit and Pedestrian Improvements:

2nd Union Station is FINALLY under construction.
Western GO Concourse is planned.
Western PATH Extension is under study.
King Street ROW under study.

Road Improvements:

Southern extension of Simcoe Street under construction
Front Street to be repaved and public realm improved.

What Needs to Happen NOW, but is not:

Bike Lockers at Union Station and in the basement of all new major towers to encourage GO commuters to bike the rest of the way to work.

New Bike Lanes on Front, Simcoe and John Streets.

Queen Street ROW between Spadina Road and University Ave at least during Peak Hours.

All of Union Station needs to be renovated which should include a new inner city Bus Terminal to replace the hideous one at Bay and Dundas.

New Peak Day GO Train Service from Union Station to Meadowvale, Bramalea, Rutherford, Langstaff and Markham to service downtown commuters working in 905 business parks.

Front Street Extension needs to proceed, and Front and Wellington Streets turned into one way streets to facilitate better movement of traffic in and out of the core.

Bremner Blvd needs to be extended to Bathurst to connect with Garrison Road to provide an alternative route to Lakeshore Blvd and towards the Fort York/CNE Neighbourhood.

At least one new major Public Parking Garage somewhere in the western part of the core to replace the loss surface parking lots.

Affordable housing and larger family units need to be built in the downtown core to provide housing options for a diverse range of incomes and for families.

Louroz

Re: Major Transportation Improvements Needed NOW!

I agree that adding more roads is not a solution to the problem, but it must not be overlooked either. Cars are necessary as are delivery trucks and vans who must get supplies to and from all these added people/workers in the area.

The roads that exist today are sufficient to handle the cars and trucks that need to be there... the issue is that those same roads are congested with people who do have a viable choice to use transit and who haven't taken it. There is no way around the congestion those who genuinely need to drive a vehicle experience without getting the others off the road. Of the vehicles caught in rush hour gridlock on the Gardiner each day, how many are delivery trucks, how many are people who will work in multiple locations throughout the day, and how many are people driving in to work at a place they will stay the entire work day who have simply decided they don't want to use transit?

I fail to see how downtown congestion is bad. Regardless, Toronto is at a size where regardless of how many roads, public transit, people working and living in the same area, downtown will always be congested during peak periods. If options are taken to reduce congestion, the less busy roads will just encourage more to drive, and then you are back to square one. The focus should be on lowering emmissions on cars/trucks/lawnmowers, increasing the effiency of cars, and funding transit.

Plus, I think people would be insane to pay a premium for a small condo in downtown, just to drive out to Markham every workday for their job. Even though there are people doing it, I doubt it is a significant in actual numbers. In my opinion, these small units downtown are/will become a bastion for young white collar professionals that work downtown. They will probably migrate to bigger living quarters as their families get bigger, and their job mobility options get limited as they get older. But there will be younger generations to take their place.

I think people assuming that the condos that are being built are being inhabited by a large number of people who will walk to work are disillusioned

The 2001 number don't lie, people who live downtown tend to be more apt to walk, or take transit to work. People do use lifestyle issues in their living area decisions. Plus, I think its quite naive to think that people will haphazordly move into a downtown condo (in large significant numbers) without thinking about their commutting decisions.

The core is poised to destroy itself!

501358~The-Core-Posters.jpg

Who will save us? Why... Hillary Swank?

Front Street Extension needs to proceed, and Front and Wellington Streets turned into one way streets to facilitate better movement of traffic in and out of the core.
"A" for effort, but no thanks!

Maybe we could build a Queen St. subway and leave the Queen Streetcar intact for local trips?

Maybe we could build a Queen monorail as well, like the one built in Springfield, Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook.

I'd be in favour of a toll both on the DVP and the Gardiner, if the money was used to upgrade public transportation.

If there is a big stink of people against it, perhaps just a rush hour toll.

Not sure if tolls are a deterrent, but at least there would be more money for public transportation..

I've always wondered if Simpsons-era kids hear that Eric Burdon mondegreen: "Down In Monorail"

Hardass traffic policing on King Street would improve streetcar throughput. Every day at five streetcars are stuck behind cars meters from their stop while people stand there shivering or sweltering, depending on season, while fscking @ssholes stop to turn right, holding up the show when the posted sign clearly says no rights onto Bay at peak! Taxis block up the outside lanes midblock which doesn't help. Tell the taxis to sod off to Wellington I think, not least because if film trucks can park there so can they.

Also, we need new streetcars that are modular as well as accessible. I hear from sources back home that Dublin's first 30m Citadis tram to be extended to 40m due to huge demand is soon to return to service. TTC cars are 18m and 28m and aren't modular.

Community Consultation Meeting
Dedicated Streetcar Lanes on King Street

Wednesday April 18th, 2007 at 7:30 pm
City Hall, 2nd floor, Committee Room 2
100 Queen Street West

Councillor Adam Vaughan and Toronto Transit Chair, Councillor Adam Giambrone invite you to discuss a proposal for a temporary, reserved right-of-way on a four to five block section of King Street for the summer of 2008. The area under consideration is the Entertainment District on King Street.

Please attend this meeting and invite your neighbours and friends. If you are unable to attend and would like to voice your opinion or concerns, please contact:

Angela Kinnear, Executive Assistant, Councillor Vaughan, at

Telephone: 416 392 4044
Fax: 416 392 4130
Email: akinnear@toronto.ca

A poster is attached in PDF format. Please feel free to post it in your building to let other residents know about the meeting.

If you do not wish to receive e-mails from Councillor Vaughan's office, please reply to this message with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.

Councillor Adam Vaughan

Trinity-Spadina / Ward 20
City of Toronto
Councillor_Vaughan@toronto.ca
416 392 4044

So tempting to go to this, just to tell them what a dumb idea this is. All King street needs is:

1) Get police to enforce the traffic laws (no stopping, no left turns, etc.) and streetcar lane
2) Extend parking restrictions to 7-10AM and 4-8PM
3) Tax layby's between York and Bay
4) New LRV's!

??

You think its a dumb idea for a temporary ROW, but then suggest police to inforce the streetcar lane? Cars are currenlty allowed to drive in the streetcar lane. Thats the whole point.

Back