News   Jul 25, 2024
 544     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 605     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 475     0 

Is Gay Pride anti Israel?

Well it's hard for me to take Bnai Brith and its "leader for life" Frank Dimant seriously. Since they are an ultraconservative organization that's been making alliances with the Christian Right and of course since they'd never participate in the parade themselve, I don't think they have any right to lecture anybody on gay rights.

The Canadian Jewish Congress including Bernie Farber participated in the parade even though they expressed objections...there's a lot to criticize them about but they've been supportive of gay rights over the years.

My view is that the Pride Parade wasn't "taking sides." A pro-Israel group marched as well.

Being both Jewish and gay, I'm a bit upset to see a protest like this in the pride parade. Although Israel may still not be as progressive as say Canada, it is none the less the only Middle Eastern country that not only supports the rights of gay people as a policy, but even allows a pride parade to occur on its own soil. I dare these protesters to step foot in Saudi Arabia, or even the Gaza Strip for that matter, while holding their partner's hand.

Although Israel could undoubtedly be handling the Palestinian situation better, it's beyond ridiculous to protest Israel in a gay pride parade. Definitely keep protesting, but do so at a different venue.

I'm sure being a gay Israeli is a lot easier than being gay and living in one of Israel's less tolerant neighbours, but at least Queer people in those countries have the possibilty of supporting themselves economically. At least they have citizenship making migration to a more tolerant country much much easier. Queer Palestinians do not always have it so easy. Being stateless and living in a refugee camp or a town/village constantly under attack is not freedom. Queer liberation in Palestine cannot be accomplished as long as Israel continues to terrorize and oppress the Palestinian people. One form of oppression cannot and should not be used to justify another.

It should fall to the international community to ensure the rights of Queer Palestinians as we move towards a two-state solution - something we didn't do in either Afghanistan or Iraq while their new constitutions were being prepared.

I'm sure being a gay Israeli is a lot easier than being gay and living in one of Israel's less tolerant neighbours, but at least Queer people in those countries have the possibilty of supporting themselves economically. At least they have citizenship making migration to a more tolerant country much much easier. Queer Palestinians do not always have it so easy. Being stateless and living in a refugee camp or a town/village constantly under attack is not freedom. Queer liberation in Palestine cannot be accomplished as long as Israel continues to terrorize and oppress the Palestinian people. One form of oppression cannot and should not be used to justify another.

It should fall to the international community to ensure the rights of Queer Palestinians as we move towards a two-state solution - something we didn't do in either Afghanistan or Iraq while their new constitutions were being prepared.

Did you not see the Hamas leader being quoted about gays being morally and mentally perverted a couple of pages back? Do you think he will change his mind if Israel ends the occupation? Do you think the international community can exert pressure on someone who willingly sends women and children to die as martyrs?

Last edited:
Someday these guys will get exactly what they wish for in the Middle East.....it will be a one party Islamist-led independent Palestinian state that doesn't just persecute but resorts to physically torturing or even executing lesbians, gays and trans-gendered individuals. If anybody thinks this is far-fetched looked at the rest of the Middle East. And many of those ruling regimes aren't as fanatical about Sunni Islam as Hamas.

^Although to be fair, I'm certain benjamin netanyahu's views on queers are probably pretty conservative as well, as are the orthodox rabbis that really run the agenda.

Yet, he's got a constitution and a whole liberal democratic system preventing him for actually doing anything of significant to queers. What's the check on Hamas in the Gaza Strip?

Someday these guys will get exactly what they wish for in the Middle East.....it will be a one party Islamist-led independent Palestinian state that doesn't just persecute but resorts to physically torturing or even executing lesbians, gays and trans-gendered individuals. If anybody thinks this is far-fetched looked at the rest of the Middle East. And many of those ruling regimes aren't as fanatical about Sunni Islam as Hamas.

they better hope god's not gay. every sunday i buy a bag of skittles and "taste the rainbow" just in case.

^Although to be fair, I'm certain benjamin netanyahu's views on queers are probably pretty conservative as well, as are the orthodox rabbis that really run the agenda.

His views probably are pretty conservative, but there is quite a difference between conservatism and whatever one would call Hamas. Let's be very clear that opposing gay marriage is quite different from calling for gays to be slaughtered.

Also, the rabbis aren't quite so important to Israeli politics. A lot of people just here 'jewish state' and assume it has theocratic implications, whereas Jews would likely think of themselves more along ethnic lines. Most parties in Israel are quite secular. Yisrael Beiteinu, even though it is often portrayed as a radically right wing faction, is quite notable in it's anti-secular stance on issues. The only party which is really theocratic in nature is Shas and UTJ.

Indeed, the great irony of Yisrael Beitenu's being in the coalition is that Lieberman may actually demand some progress on the pro-secular issues important to his Russian immigrant constituency--like an end to religious-only marriages (these were one of the concessions tossed to the religious right back in the day), various taboos about doing this or that on Shabbat and, most deliciously, moving pork sale and farming out of its current legal grey area.

In this way, YB and Liberman owe more to old-school ethnic Jewish nationalism than to the contemporary religious right. As usual in Israel, nothing is quite what it seems.

All that said, there is a major problem here: the religious minority has lots of babies, and the secular majority doesn't. That could change things down the road.

Back