News   May 28, 2024
 670     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 510     0 

Is CityPlace Toronto’s next ghetto?

Truly great cities have neighbourhoods where people can live close to downtown but enjoy some peace and quiet too. Not every neighbourhood needs to be a destination. Cityplace is right in between King West and the waterfront, and offers a very safe and quiet place to live with great views, amenities, and location.

I too would have built more short towers instead of homogeneous tall ones. I too would have done it differently. But it says it all that when I could have moved anywhere in Toronto, I moved here. Best view, amenities, location, and safety my money could buy.

It is only lacking one thing urgently: families. Build that school as soon as possible please.

I'm sure its been mentioned already, but Jamestown was built in a period of inner-city decline (Toronto's population had declined from over 700,000 in 1970 to less than 600,000 a decade later - a steeper drop than the likes of NYC) and low property values. As such, there wasn't much desire to live in that area at all, let alone in an apartment when houses were so cheap. In the reality of today's Toronto, people will pay good money to live in anything so long as its centrally located.

I'm sure its been mentioned already, but Jamestown was built in a period of inner-city decline (Toronto's population had declined from over 700,000 in 1970 to less than 600,000 a decade later
Inner city decline? From 1970 to 1980? That's mostly the result of changing densities and lower family sizes. It's quite comparable to what is seen elsewhere, where there wasn't a lot of expansion going on. Take Brooklyn in New York City, which dropped from 2.6 to 2.2 million.

I don't recall seeing significant quantities of vacant housing in Toronto in 1980.

And besides, St. James Town was largely built in the 1960s, not the 1970s (though the "western wall" along Sherbourne came in the 70s)

off topic. but wile there are many amazing new projects going on in the city... i hate to say it but as a big fan of most of tne glass condos/towers, to much of a good thing can happen. or is happening. glass is nice but more solid and heavier buildings would also look just as nice. can we expect to see some orher matwrials being used other then types of glass and tinting in the future?
is there anything over 199 m being built now? with out glass being its main focus?

Back