542     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 266     0 

Int'l Academy of Design & Technology is leaving the CBC Buliding

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
CBC Toronto skips school
The sight of arts students asleep on sofas in the Barbara Frum Atrium may soon be a thing of the past.

For the past few years, the Toronto CBC building has rented out space to the International Academy of Design and Technology. In addition to much of the 8th floor, the Academy had ground floor space and took over a separate bank of elevators.

Today, CBC announced that it had “reached a mutually satisfactory agreement with the Academy that they will vacate the Broadcasting Centre as of April 2009.”

The move will allow CBC to reorganize its space for internal use, and organize leased space vertically on the west side of the building. And it will create something staffers like me have clamored for forever: ground-floor access to stairs. (I work on the second floor, but there’s no way to get between there and the ground without taking an elevator. Or pulling the fire alarm.)

Still, I’ll miss the students. At first it seemed to me like an uneasy match, with black-clad youngsters, replete with iPods and portfolio cases loafing around between classes, while CBCers eyed them suspiciously and clutched their laptops. But the Academy grew on me. Being around young people is a good thing, and having the school there made the CBC building part of the neighbourhood. Fortunately, the new plans for the building have neighbourhood involvement as a core tenet (along with finding a new core tenant.)

I got a press release that stated the International Academy of Design and Technology was not only leaving the CBC building but will cease all of its operations in Toronto.

Two of the major barriers cited was the inability to grant recognized provincial diplomas and offer distance learning courses from the campus.

Louroz

It always seemed to me to be something between an independent vocational facility and a Learning Annex-esque affair--figures that it and the Learning Annex would go into eclipse at roughly the same time...

They marketed themselves as some sort of exclusive premium school. Their tuition was ridiculously high! I almost caved in by taking a loan to attend the college, but my better judgement won over and I ended up at George Brown College (same kind of classes, huge difference in prices).

I'm not surprised to see them getting kicked out of CBC. I wonder what kind of tenant they'll get. Ritz will be across from them in a couple of years so I'm sure they won't have a hard time getting a "high end" tenant... Which is naturally the reason why CBC is freeing up the space. :p

The city won't let the CBC carve any more retail space out of the Broadcast Centre, so any new tenant may not be that interesting.

What I have heard is that the CBC has plans to reclaim for their own purposes the lobby and other parts of the building currently leased to other parties. I believe the plans are to make the lobby more of a "public space" that interacts with the community; not sure exactly what this means but part of the plans are to open up some of the studios to the street, a la CityTV I guess.

Although they are closing the museum and have moved CBC Radio Toronto upstairs, which doesn't seem like a good first step in making the place more CityTV-esque. Still, if I had to guess I think what they are trying to do is to turn the atrium into a sort of "nation's living room" as we saw a glimpse of during this year's Grey Cup celebrations.

They marketed themselves as some sort of exclusive premium school. Their tuition was ridiculously high! I almost caved in by taking a loan to attend the college, but my better judgement won over and I ended up at George Brown College (same kind of classes, huge difference in prices).

As I think of it, it was probably kind of an artsy DeVry...

Back