News   Apr 25, 2024
 837     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 838     0 

Interlined Transfers

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
One viable implementation of this would be at St. George where eastbound Line 2 trains and southbound Line 1 trains could be on one level, and the opposite on the other level which makes for a lot less use of the stairs and elevators when making transfers there.

It's not possible without completely rebuilding the subway tunnels there. The current layout only has one of the four switches that would be needed (from upper level St. George to B-D Spadina station).

Yea it’s too bad St. George couldn’t be more like this.
It is a lost opportunity. Stations like Lionel-Groulx and Snowdon with cross-platform transfers in the inbound and outbound directions are rare, because it really needs both to be designed at the same time - but St. George was designed and constructed for both lines at the same time.

I'm sure there are other examples somewhere in the world, but offhand, I can't think of any. Maybe Lionel-Groulx was the first in 1978? Though Snowdon is probably somewhat underutilized, with the westbound Blue line extension to Cavendish and Montreal West deferred for 30+ years now.

I'd think that somewhere in Asia, there must be a more recent example!

And London has some interchanges where you walk across the platform to a different line .
In both directions? It certainly happens sometimes, when 2 or 3 lines come together on the sub-surface lines (Gloucester Road for example) - but I can't offhand think of something like Lionel-Groulx - or even St. George come to think of it.

In both directions? It certainly happens sometimes, when 2 or 3 lines come together on the sub-surface lines (Gloucester Road for example) - but I can't offhand think of something like Lionel-Groulx - or even St. George come to think of it.

Mostly on the Victoria line - it was built that way.
At Stockwell, Oxford Circus, Euston and Finsbury Park. One platform is directly connected to the platform on another line.

Some of the interchanges in Hong Kong involve two stations, one for same-direction transfers and the other for opposite-direction. Obviously that's a luxury few systems can afford, but it's necessary due to the volumes.

Mostly on the Victoria line - it was built that way.
At Stockwell, Oxford Circus, Euston and Finsbury Park. One platform is directly connected to the platform on another line.
Ah cool! And I've changed at Oxford Circus too ... though judging by the number of stairs I recall taking, I guess I wasn't taking the transfer that this happens. Looks like Highbury & Islington are like this too (the map at http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-tram-london/ is great for seeing these configurations BTW).

However - these aren't the same design as Lionel-Groulx and Snowdon. In those stations, the two pairs platforms are stacked on top of each other, meaning that even the worst transfer is just a flight of stairs (similar to St. George). In the Victoria Line, it looks like they took the existing platforms which are on the same level, and then built new tracks on the other side of the platforms, resulting in all 4 tracks at the same elevation. Which means that for some transfers, one has to take at least 2 different sets of stairs and a bridge over the tracks.

It's a brilliant solution for adding a new line, but I still can't think of an example like Lionel Groulx with the stacked platforms (other than Snowdon ... ironically St. George is the closest I can think of).

That being said, I've got a nagging feeling I have seen something like this in DC - but perhaps more like St. George than Lionel-Groulx

That being said, I've got a nagging feeling I have seen something like this in DC - but perhaps more like St. George than Lionel-Groulx

Pentagon and Rosslyn stations in DC have something similar but not the same. That's probably what you're thinking of.
Both stations are just before two lines diverge and one direction is on one floor, and the other direction is above it - primarily to allow the lines to diverge over each other just beyond the stations.

Back