News   Apr 15, 2024
 983     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 655     0 

Intercity Bus Services

Why doesn't HSR make a deal to Run buses along HWY 6 to Guelph?
Why doesn't Guelph Transit do runs to Hamilton? Municipal transit agencies have limitations imposed upon them by their boards/commissions, councils, lawyers and taxpayers. Perhaps it would require an upfront fleet capacity improvement that they don't want to fund. City buses usually aren't geared to run a lot on highways. In the olden days, tires often weren't certified for highway use but I don't know where that stands now.

Why doesn't Guelph Transit do runs to Hamilton? Municipal transit agencies have limitations imposed upon them by their boards/commissions, councils, lawyers and taxpayers. Perhaps it would require an upfront fleet capacity improvement that they don't want to fund. City buses usually aren't geared to run a lot on highways. In the olden days, tires often weren't certified for highway use but I don't know where that stands now.
Highway 6 has a speed limit of 60-80kmph.
A lot of joining municipalities have services to other regions like Niagara and St Catharine's, TTC and YRT.
Yes it should be run by GO transit but Metrolinx doesn't see a need so that's the problem.

Maybe the operators and funding base (taxpayers) of the two cities don't see the need either, or maybe they figure it is a provincial problem. It 's really easy to say 'somebody needs to do something' but something always needs to be paid for by somebody.
You think Metronlinx is going to pay to upgrade a bridge on a corridor that they don't own? Unless there is a purchase happening that I don't know about.

Because HSR probably doesn’t care. Each municipality is apathetic in this whole situation. However, I will reach out and ask about the possibility- I could see a partnership between GRT, Guelph and HSR to operate an hourly service via hwy 7/6.

The problem with HSR in Hamilton is that the city still has area ratings for property tax collection. It’s dumb, but it’s why there’s no service to Binbrook, and why it’s limited to other outlying areas. It limits HSR funding too. Hamilton has to get its act together.

When I took the 12am? Bus when greyhound was running from Toronto to Ottawa it took all these side roads and went along highway 7. It let people on and off at these random street corners.

That's where the majority of revenue was from. The bus to and from Arnprior to Sudbury had people standing until Kanata.

So express buses are faster but I think the local bus had more ridership.

When I took the 12am? Bus when greyhound was running from Toronto to Ottawa it took all these side roads and went along highway 7. It let people on and off at these random street corners.

That's where the majority of revenue was from. The bus to and from Arnprior to Sudbury had people standing until Kanata.

So express buses are faster but I think the local bus had more ridership.

Peterborough had several daily buses, including a weekday commuter-friendly run from Peterborough to Toronto, Toronto-Peterborough-Ottawa express runs, and a local bus that’d stop in places like Havelock and Madoc.

This is hardly enough. Perth and Carleton Place still don’t have their Ottawa commuter buses restored, never mind the direct Greyhound service to Toronto.

At least Ontario Northland runs a daily bus between Ottawa and Sudbury with stops in Arnprior, Renfrew, etc. but there should be several runs between Ottawa and Petawawa.

Peterborough had several daily buses, including a weekday commuter-friendly run from Peterborough to Toronto, Toronto-Peterborough-Ottawa express runs, and a local bus that’d stop in places like Havelock and Madoc.

This is hardly enough. Perth and Carleton Place still don’t have their Ottawa commuter buses restored, never mind the direct Greyhound service to Toronto.

At least Ontario Northland runs a daily bus between Ottawa and Sudbury with stops in Arnprior, Renfrew, etc. but there should be several runs between Ottawa and Petawawa.
ONR should take that route

Back