287     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 867     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 485     0 

Intercity Bus Services

Awesome!

Here's several you can add:

Most of the Hammond routes appear to be shopping shuttles, with only one trip a day, terminating at an "A&P" - even though Metro discontinued the A&P and Dominion brands in 2007 or so after purchasing the chain in Canada. The A&P in Bracebridge became a Metro, but was downgraded to Food Basics a few years ago.

The Lake of Bays and Muskoka Lakes services may count, as they technically allow for a connection, even though they aren't great, and still only run once a week. I also didn't realize that Bracebridge had a local circular transit bus route, so I will add that in the next update.

Most of the Hammond routes appear to be shopping shuttles, with only one trip a day, terminating at an "A&P" - even though Metro discontinued the A&P and Dominion brands in 2007 or so after purchasing the chain in Canada. The A&P in Bracebridge became a Metro, but was downgraded to Food Basics a few years ago.

The Lake of Bays and Muskoka Lakes services may count, as they technically allow for a connection, even though they aren't great, and still only run once a week. I also didn't realize that Bracebridge had a local circular transit bus route, so I will add that in the next update.

Nice work.

You should consider including Sudbury's regional transit routes that go well outside of the city proper.

Transport giant FirstGroup has sold off three major bus facilities in North America for a total of £102m.
The Aberdeen-based firm said the move was part of a continuing drive to rationalise its Greyhound bus property portfolio.
The disposals include a garage and customer terminal facility in Los Angeles, as well as facilities in Denver, Colorado, and Ottawa, Canada.
The group reported a total profit for the three transactions of about £73m.
The cash proceeds will be used for "general corporate purposes".
FirstGroup said it was moving operations to intermodal transport hubs or new facilities "better tailored to customers' needs".
The company has already sold six smaller "surplus locations" in the first half of the financial year.
A number of other "property sales processes" are also under way.
<https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-55497587>

Has there been any news on where Northland buses will be departing from instead?

No. Northland still uses Central Station, though it remains the only tenant. The commuter buses to surrounding towns in Ontario and Quebec use Albert and Slater, even after the LRT opened.

If it were me, I'd move whatever is left of intercity bus services to the VIA station, which has a bus lane under the canopy and plenty of room, and better transit than Central Station, which was not well-served at all, despite its "Central" location. I remember arriving there from Pembroke in 2019 on a rainy night, and deciding to walk to my hotel downtown because it was faster than waiting for a bus. It would allow for connections from the upper Ottawa Valley and Northern Ontario to and from Montreal and Toronto, should Greyhound disappear for good.

No. Northland still uses Central Station, though it remains the only tenant. The commuter buses to surrounding towns in Ontario and Quebec use Albert and Slater, even after the LRT opened.

If it were me, I'd move whatever is left of intercity bus services to the VIA station, which has a bus lane under the canopy and plenty of room, and better transit than Central Station, which was not well-served at all, despite its "Central" location. I remember arriving there from Pembroke in 2019 on a rainy night, and deciding to walk to my hotel downtown because it was faster than waiting for a bus. It would allow for connections from the upper Ottawa Valley and Northern Ontario to and from Montreal and Toronto, should Greyhound disappear for good.
If VIA doesn't want the buses (and I really don't know why they wouldn't, but could see it happening) it should also be possible to fit them into Hurdman.

There was talk in the Ottawa thread a few months ago about this. There’s also plenty of room on the south side of the tracks, on Terminal avenue, to possibly build some facility and connect it to VIA and the Otrain with the planned (or existing?) tunnel.

There was talk in the Ottawa thread a few months ago about this. There’s also plenty of room on the south side of the tracks, on Terminal avenue, to possibly build some facility and connect it to VIA and the Otrain with the planned (or existing?) tunnel.
There's an existing tunnel under the tracks between the station and Terminal Ave according to this Doc for a proposed 9 storey office building. Its not publicly open though I dont think.
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image Referencing_Site Plan Application_Image Reference_Assessment of Adequacy of Public Services - Site Servicing Study D07-12-10-0266.PDF
Page 79:
1613493732846.png

Back