News   Apr 26, 2024
 206     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 449     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Intercity Bus Services

The existence of Kasper MiniBus disproves the notion that rural bus routes are economically unviable. In the last few years, Kasper has grown to be a major player in traditional fixed-route intercity bus service in Northern Ontario, without any government subsidy. They've added a bunch of routes over the past couple years and even expanded into Manitoba. They are also planning to take over the Ontario route that Greyhound is planning to abandon.
View attachment 150518
https://gokasper.com/bus/scheduled-bus-routes/

That's how well they're doing without any subsidy. Knocking 13% off the ticket price will only make the tickets more affordable and routes more profitable, allowing them to increase service while still being viable. The government's loss of the 13% tax on a $50 Kasper ticket represents $6.50 of lost revenue (i.e. passive subsidy) - an amount which can easily be justified given the social, economic and environmental benefits of scheduled bus service.

Does Kasper's existence make this whole topic (as far as Ontario is concerned) a non-issue? Anyone used there service who can speak to it? If they are profitable it seems that the minibus model works.

^ @lenaitch I think it may be best to leave "Equalization Payments" out of the discussion, if for no other reason than that they are highly misunderstood and misleading for most persons. I just Googled to post a clarified description. I know there are some online, but my first Google showed nothing but reactionary articles.

So let's use another measure of the argument you raise (and wisely so, this is a conversation we have to have before we cripple ourselves running to catch a bus before it's cancelled).

We can approach the argument by comparison to *roads* themselves. If we need roads for our economy to function, it does not follow that we need cars. It does follow that we need to transport goods in and out of farms and factories. And people.

Buses served us very well in generations past. Then came the car for everyone and everybody...almost. But now the cost of doing that is becoming apparent. We just can't afford to build roads at the rate we have, nor can Nature pay the bill.

The swing back away from owning a car has already started, and surprisingly from the iMemyself generation! Why? Major reason isn't altruism, it's *cost*.

The largest "war against cars" is in the pocket, not the fist. So there's a very favourable argument to be made that retaining bus service in rural areas and between cities worked for previous generations well when car ownership costs dictated taking the bus. Why can't it now? The answer lies not in recreating yesterday's model, but in *adapting* it. The economics of 'riding the bus' (and 'subsidies' aren't necessarily what the term implies) outweigh that of maintaining a car, in the big picture as well as small.

The trick is in the delivery, and other than heavily travelled bus routes (which one has to question if there isn't a rail alternative?) the answer, as practised in a number of nations with high standards of living, is the *minibus*.

And I'm going to have to quote a well-researched article to continue on this:
Don't Believe the Microtransit Hype
  1. SIMON J. BERREBI
NOV 6, 2017
Minibus startups like Chariot aren’t succeeding. But transit shouldn’t be judged on whether it turns a profit.

In 1914, during a streetcar strike in Los Angeles, a motorist in a newfangled private car began giving rides for a jitney—slang for nickel. The flexible service and novel automotive technology easily seduced passengers, and soon jitneys swept the nation, challenging run-down and crowded streetcar systems.

But they also clogged city streets, caused numerous crashes, and cannibalized transit ridership. Following a public outcry, many cities, including Los Angeles, decided by referendum to regulate them. By the mid-1920’s, jitneys had gone virtually extinct, replaced by tightly regulated taxi companies.

Today, a similar story is unfolding for microtransit. Microtransit is a for-profit bus service that caters to commuters willing to pay more for a ride that’s more direct and comfortable than those offered by existing public transportation. Since 2014, microtransit companies have been using sophisticated algorithms to plan fixed routes, based on demand, in San Francisco, Boston, and New particularly by CityLab—as having the potential to change urban mobility.

In my Ph.D. research and as an entrepreneur, I’ve developed algorithms to improve transit operations using real-time information. I believe that software can transform the place of transit in metro regions, and I support anything that helps the public move more efficiently. But microtransit is not living up to its promise these days. In just three years, three of the leading companies have gone out of business. In October, the California Public Utilities Commission forced Chariot, a microtransit company recently purchased by Ford for $65 million, to cease operations for several days, after they found that drivers did not have the proper license to operate.
[...]
https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2017/11/dont-believe-the-microtransit-hype/545033/

There's quite a number of similar articles, pro and con online. Ontario had best start discussing this before we all are left at the bus stop waiting...

Does Kasper's existence make this whole topic (as far as Ontario is concerned) a non-issue? Anyone used there service who can speak to it? If they are profitable it seems that the minibus model works.

The Kasper experience indicates where the baseline is with no subsidy. The intercity routes range from 3x/week to 2x/day, and tickets are somewhat pricy but still arguably affordable given the gigantic distances.

Moving up from that baseline, increasing the subsidies* will progressively increase the amount of service and reduce the ticket price.

*First you reduce taxes. Then if you have no tax and still to support service even more, then you start actually providing direct subsidies.

In this thought experiment, if it became absolutely uneconomical to live in a non-urban area, where would the urban area's food come from? Where would the urban area's energy and other processed natural resources (or unprocessed for processing in said urban area) come from? In terms of a national economy, is it an acceptable to say 'someplace else', meaning that Canada consists of a scattering of urban areas with nothing in between.

It seems eternally curious that the issue of subsidies seems to focus more on their 'efficiency' than their mere existence. If enough money was left in the pockets of Toronto/GTA and their residents', would it be reasonable to expect that the billions in transit and other funding flowing from other levels of government would no longer be required? I would think that would require the local imposition of income and consumption taxes.

I also noted the use of the term "uneconomical places" to refer to other parts of Ontario (i.e. everywhere but Toronto/GTA). Does this imply that Toronto/GTA is now an economical place to live? Many may argue.

I get the point and this is simply, as stated, a thought experiment. No doubt that in terms of passengers per dollar or whatever metric is appropriate, greater density will obviously afford greater 'efficiency' of dollars spent. On the other hand, it is a large and diverse nation and, as Red Green used to say, "we're all in this together"

It is curious to me that economic distribution spoken in terms of 'equalization payments' is generally seen as a positive thing but when thought of in terms of 'subsidies' it becomes freighted with baggage. Perhaps the difference is the former is based on a formula (admittedly unexplainable and unfathomable to most) and not dependent on specific projects or goals while the latter is more political/patronage/election-winnable based.

I didn't mean this to be an us versus them thing. I am a very strong supporter of the rights of all Canadians to live wherever they want. Most people don't want to live in the city and people should live wherever works for them. There should be settlements all over the province, but what does that mean as far number and size? I don't know. Any isolated communities will be expensive to service so what is the right answer? Living in rural areas means worse health care outcomes due to lack of access to health care. Is that ok? Do we leave it at that's a personal decision and we make the appropriate care available at the larger rural communities? Residents of these communities are educationally and economically disadvantaged due to lack of access. The province and the country are worse off because of that. Rural areas are losing their population to urban centres due to lack of opportunity. Is it right to embrace the change or try to mitigate it? I've asked the smaller question regarding transit but it's part of the bigger question is the right decision here. Personally, I think the rural communities themselves need to come up with the appropriate answers as they live it, they know the problems the best and they are the best ones to come up with answers. They can come up with appropriate solutions and request appropriate assistance from the province if needed. Regarding Northern Transit it looks like Kasper is doing the job without subsidies. It is likely a business started by a resident of Northern Ontario. The communities can come up with answers.

As far as food in Ontario, I did a quick google search and most of Ontario's agricultural land is within a 2 hours drive of Toronto or Ottawa so food production lands are not within the scope of this discussion. Based at a quick glance at energy generation maps, the energy used in urban area seems to be generated within a 2 hour drive of Toronto or Ottawa so energy discussion is also out of scope. As far as mining is concerned, I'm all for it if a company finds it economical to do so. I am not a fan of corporate welfare in any form including for the high profile cases we have seen in Toronto.

The content of the post missed something big, it's already been established that the tax revenue from Toronto subsidizes the country. Toronto is paying for it's own transit and for government services across the country. It is not 'now' an economical place to live (as far as the government providing services), it's probably been like that for at least 50 years. You can argue otherwise, but the tax revenue incoming and the expenditures outgoing have already been calculated.

In this thought experiment, if it became absolutely uneconomical to live in a non-urban area, where would the urban area's food come from?

Wageningen University (Netherlands) has over the last 3 decades has designed extremely successful growing programs for very tiny plots of land with minimal resources; to the point where the Netherlands outproduces most other countries despite very little land and very little in the way of subsidies. Our output per acre is about 1/15th of what they get.

In short, using those techniques it may be possible for farmers to live in the GTA and commute 1 hour in any direction and produce more food than the city requires.

We can see a little bit of this in Ontario with the few acres of greenhouses around Bruce Nuclear which provide hot house tomatoes to the north-east during most of the off-season.

Last edited:
I didn't mean this to be an us versus them thing. I am a very strong supporter of the rights of all Canadians to live wherever they want. Most people don't want to live in the city and people should live wherever works for them. There should be settlements all over the province, but what does that mean as far number and size? I don't know. Any isolated communities will be expensive to service so what is the right answer? Living in rural areas means worse health care outcomes due to lack of access to health care. Is that ok? Do we leave it at that's a personal decision and we make the appropriate care available at the larger rural communities? Residents of these communities are educationally and economically disadvantaged due to lack of access. The province and the country are worse off because of that. Rural areas are losing their population to urban centres due to lack of opportunity. Is it right to embrace the change or try to mitigate it? I've asked the smaller question regarding transit but it's part of the bigger question is the right decision here. Personally, I think the rural communities themselves need to come up with the appropriate answers as they live it, they know the problems the best and they are the best ones to come up with answers. They can come up with appropriate solutions and request appropriate assistance from the province if needed. Regarding Northern Transit it looks like Kasper is doing the job without subsidies. It is likely a business started by a resident of Northern Ontario. The communities can come up with answers.

As far as food in Ontario, I did a quick google search and most of Ontario's agricultural land is within a 2 hours drive of Toronto or Ottawa so food production lands are not within the scope of this discussion. Based at a quick glance at energy generation maps, the energy used in urban area seems to be generated within a 2 hour drive of Toronto or Ottawa so energy discussion is also out of scope. As far as mining is concerned, I'm all for it if a company finds it economical to do so. I am not a fan of corporate welfare in any form including for the high profile cases we have seen in Toronto.

The content of the post missed something big, it's already been established that the tax revenue from Toronto subsidizes the country. Toronto is paying for it's own transit and for government services across the country. It is not 'now' an economical place to live (as far as the government providing services), it's probably been like that for at least 50 years. You can argue otherwise, but the tax revenue incoming and the expenditures outgoing have already been calculated.

Perhaps I'm missing the point of the reply. The fact that Ontario's most arable land is within 2 hours (possibly worth arguing, but whether it's 2 or 4 hours is largely moot). In the original post, the argument was to depopulate rural areas and have them move to Toronto. Regardless of the distance, it can't be denied that these areas are, in fact, rural, and if the people leave, so does the food production. Regarding energy, fair point that I overlooked the contribution of the generating plants in the GTA and Niagara (but not Toronto).

Part of the lack of clarity by some may be the definition or perception of 'rural' and 'urban'. To me there is a difference between 'rural' and 'remote' and I have lived in both, as well as Toronto. To others, it seems anything north of Steeles is rural. I haven't researched it but I'm not sure the health outcomes of somebody living in or near Kingston or North Bay would be any worse than Toronto.

Wageningen University (Netherlands) has over the last 3 decades has designed extremely successful growing programs for very tiny plots of land with minimal resources; to the point where the Netherlands outproduces most other countries despite very little land and very little in the way of subsidies. Our output per acre is about 1/15th of what they get.

In short, using those techniques it may be possible for farmers to live in the GTA and commute 1 hour in any direction and produce more food than the city requires.

We can see a little bit of this in Ontario with the few acres of greenhouses around Bruce Nuclear which provide hot house tomatoes to the north-east during most of the off-season.

Fair point. The limited land of Europe has spawned greater innovation. The hothouse farming base is strong in the Essex county area as well. I'm not exactly sure how well the intensification practices translate to livestock farming while still maintaining a sense of welfare for the animals, but I haven't researched it and I don't know if they have found a way around growing forage, which takes acreage. I fail to see why a farmer would want to live in the GTA and commute to a farm unless they are an employee of a corporate farm. Farming is as much a lifestyle as it is a way of making a living.

The world isn't made up of people who live in a city and those who want to. Discussions such as these inevitably end up in 'us-vs.-them. There was a thread a while back discussing whether someone should leave their home area (i.e. Toronto) for employment. Some felt that it was abhorrent that they should have to leave family, friends, patios and theatre simply to make a living. Similarly, other threads argue for regular train service to Collingwood or Muskoka, seemingly so they can be entertained by the poor mooks who have to live there. It seems that, to some, the value of rural areas is measured only in how they serve urban areas.

Sorry for the rant. It often boils down to one's perception of where live is better lived.

I fail to see why a farmer would want to live in the GTA and commute to a farm unless they are an employee of a corporate farm. Farming is as much a lifestyle as it is a way of making a living.

I don't know either, but the premise I was responding to involved rural Ontario having a very very high cost of living.

I was merely pointing out that produce farming, at very least, is quite compatible with living in dense urban environment (which one assumes is affordable for median incomes in the provided scenario).

Some articles on Kasper and the Bus Boys:
[...]
While providing subsidies to carriers to reach some isolated communities might be warranted, it’s not just profitable for a bus company to do so, Kuznak said.

“Is it necessary? I think a good business will try to work it out as best as possible first and see if it’s viable before saying, we could use some help here. So far we haven’t had any issues in making everything work. It’s just a matter of being creative and getting out there.

“You just have to be willing to take the risk and try and help these communities. If you can’t figure out a way to get it going then you’re not trying hard enough.”

It’s why the company is running with small vehicles rather than full-size, 50-seat highway coaches, he said.

“You look at the market itself and see what it can bear. That’s why we chose to run a smaller and leaner service so we can get those niches that the larger vehicles are too expensive to run. That’s the direction we decided to go because that’s what the region requires now.”
https://www.northernontariobusiness...rtation-launches-inter-community-route-372131

Why does the government grant monopolies to bus companies that cut routes?
OPINION: Greyhound just announced dramatic service cuts, but their most lucrative routes in this province will be protected. That doesn’t make sense for Ontarians in the north or the south, writes John Michael McGrath
Published on Jul 10, 2018
by John Michael McGrath
[...]
For those who don’t know, Ontario gives intercity bus companies a pretty sweet deal: bus routes are legal monopolies guaranteed by the Ontario Highway Transportation Board — it’s effectively illegal to operate a scheduled commercial bus on the same route as any incumbent. (Technically, the board could grant permission, but that doesn’t happen.) This isn’t supposed to be a giveaway: the idea was that bus companies would plow the profits from more lucrative routes between big cities into the lower-ridership services rural communities depend on.

That’s the theory: in practice, though, Greyhound has made cuts, cuts, and more cuts to rural bus service while continuing to enjoy the golden goose that is the Toronto–Ottawa route. After the latest round of cuts, Greyhound’s rural service will basically not exist. But its monopoly on some of the highest-ridership routes in the country will — for now.

This doesn’t make sense. Riders on the 401 corridor deserve at least some competition between private bus operators to keep prices low and to spur companies to offer better service. An argument could be made for the old monopoly when Greyhound was serving more remote locations, but if that’s no longer happening, then intercity passengers in southern Ontario shouldn’t be bilked.
[...]
https://tvo.org/article/current-aff...t-monopolies-to-bus-companies-that-cut-routes

Northern Ontario bus service getting enhanced
Collaboration between Ontario Northland Transportation Commission and Kasper Transportation to connect Northwestern and Northeastern Ontario while $40 million grant program to fund new or expanding initiatives.
Dec 1, 2017 3:35 PM by: Matt Vis

THUNDER BAY – With Northwestern Ontario home to many small communities often lacking services and spaced hours apart, the province is committing to ensure those residents will be connected and able to access transportation.

The Ontario government on Friday announced two initiatives aimed to boost bus service across Northern Ontario, through collaboration between the Ontario Northland Transportation Commission and Northwestern Ontario provider Kasper Transportation to link northern communities and establishing a $40 million grant funding program.

Northern Development and Mines Minister Michael Gravelle acknowledged the importance of bus travel for Northern Ontario residents who need transportation.

“There are great distances between communities and sometimes there can be just that gap between one community and another that has no service whatsoever. For people who really do have that constraint, motor coach or bus services are vital,” Gravelle said.

“There’s no question when you look at medical appointments, travel for personal reasons, sometimes the only way you can access it is through motor coach or bus service. This will change things a great deal and we’ll be seeing some real improvements in the next couple of months.”

Earlier this year the Ministry of Transportation released the 2041 Draft Multimodal Transportation Strategy for Northern Ontario, which included a direction to establish an intercommunity bus system.

In the news release issued on Friday, the province said the collaboration will benefit a number of communities including Hearst, Hornepayne, White River, Red Lake, Emo, Rainy River, Fort Frances, Atikokan and Red Rock.

Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca said the ministry has received feedback on the importance for a baseline of routes to run five days per week with return service.

“We’ve heard it loud and clear that we needed to step up, both the MTO and the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines,” Del Duca said. “The fact we’ve landed in this place, I think is very good news. We’ll continue to monitor what the ridership looks like and how people are being impacted.”

The challenges of operating a transportation service across the vast region have taken their toll on a number of private sector carriers, most recently when Thunder Bay-based Caribou Coach dropped its run from Thunder Bay to Fort Frances earlier this year.

Kasper Wabinski, the chief executive officer of Kasper Transportation, said the partnership with the Ontario Northland Transportation Commission will allow the two organizations to align schedules to more easily allow travellers to get between Northeastern and Northwestern Ontario. Expanding to the east could allow communities like Manitouwadge, White River and Hearst can become stops along the network.

Wabinski said the company already connects Thunder Bay to Sioux Lookout, Sioux Lookout to Winnipeg and is looking to provide a route to hit Fort Frances, Kenora and Red Lake.

“It’s for the passengers, this whole announcement,” Wabinski said. “It will allow somebody to go from Thunder Bay to Cochrane or Cochrane to Winnipeg. It’s about having a mutual understanding of scheduling and logistical challenges to make it less painful for the travelling customer.”

The province also announced the creation of a Community Transportation Grant Program, which expands on a previous $3 million pilot program that served 22 communities. The new fund over five years will have $30 million available for municipalities with another $10 million set aside for Indigenous communities, organizations with Indigenous leadership and not-for-profits.

Coun. Iain Angus, who is the vice president of the Northern Ontario Municipal Association, said there will be consideration given to providing a transportation service in the rural area surrounding Thunder Bay.

“If you look at McIntyre and Neebing where we really don’t have quality urban transit service, that’s an opportunity,” Angus said.

“There’s a real opportunity on the outskirts of Thunder Bay to develop some kind of service so Hymers, Nolalu, Gillies, O’Connor, Kakabeka and Neebing could have some kind of service that could bring their people into the city or to connect with Kasper as it comes through on the highway.”
https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/northern-ontario-bus-service-getting-enhanced-780560

I don't know either, but the premise I was responding to involved rural Ontario having a very very high cost of living.

I didn't read that in the previous posts but may have missed it. Some costs may be marginally higher, such as electricity and fuel (depending on how far one drives) and, depending on area, property taxes, but the biggy - cost of housing - is much much cheaper, primarily due to lower land costs.

I was merely pointing out that produce farming, at very least, is quite compatible with living in dense urban environment (which one assumes is affordable for median incomes in the provided scenario).

I'm not familiar with The Netherlands study but assume that they are making better use of rural land, not putting greenhouses in downtown Amsterdam. It would be interesting to see if the land costs in a dense urban area such as Toronto would make building a greenhouse complex financially viable. And of course you need a location that isn't shadowed by a sea of highrise buildings.

I think the Kasper model has great potential for connecting rural communities in the northwest and I think using smaller buses on the connecting routes is something ONTC is exploring. For the more connecting and long distance 'line runs', I don't know what amount of luggage capacity Kasper's smaller platforms offer. People traveling longer distances on line runs tend to have more luggage.

Perhaps I'm missing the point of the reply. The fact that Ontario's most arable land is within 2 hours (possibly worth arguing, but whether it's 2 or 4 hours is largely moot). In the original post, the argument was to depopulate rural areas and have them move to Toronto. Regardless of the distance, it can't be denied that these areas are, in fact, rural, and if the people leave, so does the food production. Regarding energy, fair point that I overlooked the contribution of the generating plants in the GTA and Niagara (but not Toronto).

Part of the lack of clarity by some may be the definition or perception of 'rural' and 'urban'. To me there is a difference between 'rural' and 'remote' and I have lived in both, as well as Toronto. To others, it seems anything north of Steeles is rural. I haven't researched it but I'm not sure the health outcomes of somebody living in or near Kingston or North Bay would be any worse than Toronto.

Fair point. The limited land of Europe has spawned greater innovation. The hothouse farming base is strong in the Essex county area as well. I'm not exactly sure how well the intensification practices translate to livestock farming while still maintaining a sense of welfare for the animals, but I haven't researched it and I don't know if they have found a way around growing forage, which takes acreage. I fail to see why a farmer would want to live in the GTA and commute to a farm unless they are an employee of a corporate farm. Farming is as much a lifestyle as it is a way of making a living.

The world isn't made up of people who live in a city and those who want to. Discussions such as these inevitably end up in 'us-vs.-them. There was a thread a while back discussing whether someone should leave their home area (i.e. Toronto) for employment. Some felt that it was abhorrent that they should have to leave family, friends, patios and theatre simply to make a living. Similarly, other threads argue for regular train service to Collingwood or Muskoka, seemingly so they can be entertained by the poor mooks who have to live there. It seems that, to some, the value of rural areas is measured only in how they serve urban areas.

Sorry for the rant. It often boils down to one's perception of where live is better lived.

There is a little bit of talking past each other as we aren't aligned in this discussion. I'm referencing the areas that Greyhound is no longer serving (that it appears Kasper is ) in this discussion. This being applied against the Golden Horseshoe and Ottawa region. In saying Toronto, I mean the Golden Horseshoe region (its in my first post ). People live in Barrie, Niagara London, Kitchener, and Kingston and work in Toronto. These cities are all part of the Toronto economy.

I feel by presenting a question with two sides, my question was turned into a judgement call. My questions are not a judgement call on better, Each to their own and the government should not force a single thing on where people choose to live. Instead, what is the best way for the province to proceed for the prosperity of the province. Is it appropriate to subsidize a train to the North at a supposed $400 a rider? Maybe it is. Is it good for the province if high school students are in transit for 4 hours a day? Maybe that's fine too. I think these questions need to be asked so the residents get an outcome that works for them. Thereis probably a better way, it needs to be discussed.

Regarding Northern Ontario health outcomes, I made the reference because I'm exposed to health care providers who have worked in northern/remote areas. See the official quote below :

In Ontario’s two northern Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) regions:

• People have shorter expected lifespans than the average in Ontario
  • People are far more likely to die prematurely (before age 75) from suicide, heart disease or other causes
  • People are much less likely to report being able to see a primary care provider, such as a family doctor or nurse practitioner when they’re sick

It would be interesting to see if the land costs in a dense urban area such as Toronto would make building a greenhouse complex financially viable.
I don't want to take this string off-topic too far, it's an excellent discussion, but be aware that the Eglinton Flats were as fertile as Holland Marsh. I can't find a reference to link at this time, but it was mostly Dutch and Chinese truck farmers working the land there. I remember being fascinated looking down on it from Lambton Avenue walking to school (as was the norm in those days) at Roselands Public School as a recent immigrant myself.

To compare farming to the Dutch one has to compare to Holland Marsh, not regular alluvial soil or moraine.

I think the Kasper model has great potential for connecting rural communities in the northwest and I think using smaller buses on the connecting routes is soTmething ONTC is exploring. For the more connecting and long distance 'line runs', I don't know what amount of luggage capacity Kasper's smaller platforms offer. People traveling longer distances on line runs tend to have more luggage.

From my experience using AboutTown's van from Guelph to Hamilton (vice versa most of the time) there was room in the back of the van for luggage and my and partner's bikes went in no trouble either in the back door accessible space. You could get four road bikes in there, no problem, and not have to pop-off wheels to do it.

The real drawback is the lack of a toilet, a la GO bus, but something Greyhound provide. For males, having to urinate, asking the driver to pull over wouldn't be a problem on long distance trips. For women and for men's heavier calls, a rest stop would be necessary. But to put that in perspective, that's no different than driving.

A key reference we're seeing in all that's posted so far is the use of "mini-buses". I have to return to wondering whether that's key in more populated regions too.

Just as the TTC runs WheelTrans, could GO run TransitVan? Hang on...didn't they used to do that in York Region a few decades back? What was it called? Google shows nothing, I don't have the right tag.

For Kasper Minibus:

Luggage size – bus
Bus – 1 bag under 40lbs and one carry on under 20lbs

** Additional pieces will be treated as freight and will be subject to freight rates.

https://gokasper.com/baggage/

Last edited:
There is a little bit of talking past each other as we aren't aligned in this discussion. I'm referencing the areas that Greyhound is no longer serving (that it appears Kasper is ) in this discussion. This being applied against the Golden Horseshoe and Ottawa region. In saying Toronto, I mean the Golden Horseshoe region (its in my first post ). People live in Barrie, Niagara London, Kitchener, and Kingston and work in Toronto. These cities are all part of the Toronto economy.

I feel by presenting a question with two sides, my question was turned into a judgement call. My questions are not a judgement call on better, Each to their own and the government should not force a single thing on where people choose to live. Instead, what is the best way for the province to proceed for the prosperity of the province. Is it appropriate to subsidize a train to the North at a supposed $400 a rider? Maybe it is. Is it good for the province if high school students are in transit for 4 hours a day? Maybe that's fine too. I think these questions need to be asked so the residents get an outcome that works for them. Thereis probably a better way, it needs to be discussed.

Regarding Northern Ontario health outcomes, I made the reference because I'm exposed to health care providers who have worked in northern/remote areas. See the official quote below :

In Ontario’s two northern Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) regions:

• People have shorter expected lifespans than the average in Ontario
  • People are far more likely to die prematurely (before age 75) from suicide, heart disease or other causes
  • People are much less likely to report being able to see a primary care provider, such as a family doctor or nurse practitioner when they’re sick

Fair enough. That's one of the inherent problems with a text conversation. Perhaps I made an unfair leap from the regions impacted by the bus cancellations into rural areas more proximate to Toronto.

When considering the data from the those two LHIN regions (assuming northwest and northeast), one has to remember that they include remote fly-in FNTs that have their own unique health care and social issues.

I don't want to take this string off-topic too far, it's an excellent discussion, but be aware that the Eglinton Flats were as fertile as Holland Marsh. I can't find a reference to link at this time, but it was mostly Dutch and Chinese truck farmers working the land there. I remember being fascinated looking down on it from Lambton Avenue walking to school (as was the norm in those days) at Roselands Public School as a recent immigrant myself.

To compare farming to the Dutch one has to compare to Holland Marsh, not regular alluvial soil or moraine.

From my experience using AboutTown's van from Guelph to Hamilton (vice versa most of the time) there was room in the back of the van for luggage and my and partner's bikes went in no trouble either in the back door accessible space. You could get four road bikes in there, no problem, and not have to pop-off wheels to do it.

The real drawback is the lack of a toilet, a la GO bus, but something Greyhound provide. For males, having to urinate, asking the driver to pull over wouldn't be a problem on long distance trips. For women and for men's heavier calls, a rest stop would be necessary. But to put that in perspective, that's no different than driving.

A key reference we're seeing in all that's posted so far is the use of "mini-buses". I have to return to wondering whether that's key in more populated regions too.

Just as the TTC runs WheelTrans, could GO run TransitVan? Hang on...didn't they used to do that in York Region a few decades back? What was it called? Google shows nothing, I don't have the right tag.

For Kasper Minibus:

Luggage size – bus
Bus – 1 bag under 40lbs and one carry on under 20lbs

** Additional pieces will be treated as freight and will be subject to freight rates.

https://gokasper.com/baggage/

Good point about the washrooms (although many would argue on-board bus washrooms are their own form of hell). I doubt a commercial carrier would entertain 'pulling over to the side' for nature calls as part of their SOP. There liability and operational issue along with negative public perception. At the very least, I doubt it would appear as a service feature on the website!

My point regarding luggage was only raised based on photos of some of their fleet and a few years driving a commercial 10-passenger van. I don't do the level of research that some do on this site.

^Some excellent posts in terms of quality of discussion. @Northern Light might have some valuable input here too.
I doubt a commercial carrier would entertain 'pulling over to the side' for nature calls as part of their SOP.
This is a relevant point, it came up on the Peterborough to Oshawa run a few days back with an intoxicated woman complaining 'how badly she had to to' for a good hour.

But I've been on GO buses where they have stopped at gas stations/donut shops for a passenger to use the rest room. It may be an awkward issue, as on the routes in Northern Ontario rest room stops are few and far between. Off the top of my head, without thinking this through in detail, could towing a 'relief trailer' be the answer? (Needless to say, the vehicle would have to come to a stop).

Same trailer could also have more space for luggage and/or cargo, as 'bus express' used to do. This would allow a bit more seating in the van.

Last edited:

Back