News   Jul 04, 2024
 431     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 476     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1K     0 

INCENTIVES - Condo builders roll out the barrel

Baby boomers just lost 40%+ in the stock market and possibly their jobs. They're not buying anything. They are selling what they have and hiding it under the mattress!

that describes my parents exactly.

They are going to wait for the market to rebound and then are going to invest the gains in safer things like bonds or what ever.

Sure you should plan for the long term but never time the market. Sometimes its best to take your gains when your ahead, because in two months you can be down 40%... :D

that describes my parents exactly.

They are going to wait for the market to rebound and then are going to invest the gains in safer things like bonds or what ever.

Sure you should plan for the long term but never time the market. Sometimes its best to take your gains when your ahead, because in two months you can be down 40%... :D

real estate is still one of the best forms of investments (imo)...

Really? RE best form of investing?is that is why u came here to tell forum about that enlightment? go to LA and say it there.

real estate is still one of the best forms of investments (imo)...

perhaps ... but TIMING is everything.

currently, at least in Canada, it's not the right time.
one would be better off in the US since they have the combination of low rates + low prices; in Canada, we have low rates but prices are still inflated.

Timing IS everything. Pity us buyers who purchased prior to the market slowdown. A condo my partner and I bought 2 years ago and is now in the process of being built is offering free parking and locker (a $30M value) to move the remaining units. I'd love to call the developer to complain and ask for a similar concession on our unit, but know I probably wouldn't get very far. There are no rewards to buying early.

Timing IS everything. Pity us buyers who purchased prior to the market slowdown. A condo my partner and I bought 2 years ago and is now in the process of being built is offering free parking and locker (a $30M value) to move the remaining units. I'd love to call the developer to complain and ask for a similar concession on our unit, but know I probably wouldn't get very far. There are no rewards to buying early.

Not at the moment, no.

Early buyers in 2003/2004 did pretty good compared to folks buying in the same building in the 2006/2007 period.

You could still have bought a place in late 2006 and made a very respectable amount by now. Condo prices between 2003-2006 only went up about 4-6% each year, but in 2007 they shot up 20-25%, so that's where the real money was made. Now is a horrible time to buy, especially pre-construction, although there are a couple opportunities like X and some of Freed's properties that you can severely negotiate down on. I honestly laugh at condo's like U and Ice that want $600/ft for their places when even if they were built today wouldn't be worth that. The developers have become greedy and instead of charging today's worth, they're trying to guess the market value in several years and charge that.

Back