News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 839     0 

Immigration App Rejected

I expect that once the Liberals are elected the immigration rules will be changed once more. If the current rules are as restrictive as you say, I'd expect that to change.

Brandon, would you maybe consider learning one of those 38 trades in the US and then using that skill to help your immigration process? Also, I think that you could start an online business that would be registered in the US but earn you enough money to live at least part of the time in TO. With your experience in fundraising, you could probably dig up a valuable list of contacts that could help you get started. Not to mention, living in Toronto can be amazingly cheap if you don't have high standards and the exchange rate is very favourable right now.

I don't know if I was explicit in my previous messages, but my current job title is actually a Database Operations Manager, I don't actually do the phone calling for our fundraising efforts. I do help manage payroll, hiring, and some other non-database tasks... I mostly manage the data behind the scenes right now. Although technically my job can also be considered a fundraiser because I do a lot of behind the scenes work on that front as well. Basically its two jobs in one.

I qualify for 0213 NOC code as classified by Human Resources Development Canada, which the new immigration rules accept.

The problem is that I don't have "enough" experience based on the opinion of the immigration officer that reviewed my app.

And there is little reason to keep working in another field, remember immigration rules are subject to change. This is something I'm already dealing with. I have 3 years of working experience with NOC code 2282 (tech support), and on the old rules I could pass no problem.

That was my plan, that was what I was working on for the past several years.. Now the rules are changed.

With the new rules, I could theoretically pick another category (which technically I have now that I'm in 0213), but in another 2-3 years, after I've built experience, what is keeping your government from changing rules again?

Its nonsense. None of the advise your giving me has went unsaid or unthought of before... (but I very much thank you for engaging me in discussion, any thought is a good thought)

My only way in at this point is via work permit for an employer willing to wait a few weeks and sponsor me. Its the only legitimate way.

I can then qualify for perm status after I work 12 months in Canada, because there are no restrictions on what kind of job you can have via work permit.

I need a personal connection for a job that can afford a life in Toronto (or somewhere in south central Ontario to at least get started).

I've applied for jobs as far away as Sasketchewan before, for what its worth. LOL

Last edited:
Brandon I really hope that it all works out for you & that your dream does come true... it sounds like you are more deserving than a lot of people to live in Canada so I wish you all the luck in the world :)

Thanks! I hope you get your dreams to come true as well.

Today marks the first full week of letting the news sink in, and I no longer can say I've given up forever. Methods will be changing, but I guess I'm a tough guy who never gives up.

:D

If it's of any reassurance, I have a friend moving here from California. He's also in IT.

I mention that only to point out that what you want to do can actually happen. Don't give up.

Geez, I'm surprised I didn't see this before.

Judging by what you've said, I'll think you made a skilled workers application and you are classified as an OAB worker.

What you have not said is how long have you been working at said job (or similar jobs). I hope you have retained an immigration consultant or lawyer (I myself am an immigration consultant, part time anyways) although I'd guess you did as you have made the right moves (temp. worker sponsored by an employer). Tech support is an OAB classification so it should count for experience (but since you work for a charity, do you receive renumeration?).

I think the officer might have been playing fast and loose with the rules but I will withhold that judgment unless I see your file.

Don't feel bad however, you're not the only one having this problem. Many people are getting rejected almost arbitrarily (yes, that is the new immigration policy that allows immigration the right to refuse entry for whatever reason they seem to deem fit). The CPC is actually bad news for any immigration it's just that the average joe does not realize the huge impact it has until they see friends and family being deported.

I'm quite surprized to learn about this immigration process, sorry to drudge up a dieing thread its just made me realize that my cousins experience wasn't unusual as I had thought. My cousin wanted to move up here, and got denied even though he is some radiologist in the hospital in San Francisco. Recently I went to Queen Alexander Hospital in Edmonton to take something to my roommate, and noticed they were looking for 12 of his position. Something isn't right with our immigration system thats for sure......

makes me glad I have both US and Canadian citizenship:)

I have been AWOL for a while on these forums... Thanks for the extra input. rpgr, to make things short, lets put it this way.

I was at a university years ago, wanting to move to Canada, and started reading about the process. This was the 2002-2004 time frame, during my first visit to Canada and first job searches.

In that time frame I realized I wanted to get the education and job experience as quickly as possible, so I switched to a community college and got an associates degree instead of finishing my bachelors. There were some monetary concerns as well, I couldn't afford university fees at the time.

So in 2004 I finished up my program, and in August 2004 the first thing I did was field out my resume in Toronto (as well as chicago here in the states). Unfortunately those attempts failed and by fall I accepted a job in Nashville with Dell doing tech support. This is going on 5 years ago mind you...

I decided to stay in the tech support/customer service fields to build experience. So for 4 years I gained experience, and gained points. In 2008 I finally had the points necessary to come to Canada under the old system.

All of a sudden, Harper rages in with this new immigration bill and it puts everyone's application in limbo for an entire year in 2008. All apps submitted after February 28, 2008 were recategorized starting last fall.

I decided to apply anyway, and use the new 0213 classification (because i was a supervisor at my last job and currently do database work that classifies under that as well), but even though I have over 1 year of experience in this new category that is accepted by the new Harper rules, the immigration officer who reviewed my case said i didn't have ENOUGH experience because its just barely over one year.

In other words, I've spent the last 7 years working/studying for nothing, changed by this government.

Also, the entire reason I moved to fucking Oregon - 2500 miles away - is because an employer based here in the US had Canadian locations and I thought I could do an internal transfer to. But the economy screwed that job over, which in turn screwed that option.

But I find solace in the fact that i'm not the only one facing this situation. And I also have other options, such as finding an employer who will just sponsor a work permit.

So I'm going to stop seeking permanent immigration status for now and just focus on trying to get a work permit. After 12 months in canada, even under the new system, you are pretty much guaranteed residency if you submit an application at a later date - so long as that rule doesn't change anyway.

So that's the new plan, and I just have to find an employer willing to hire, and a situation that doesn't downgrade my lifestyle to poverty status. Once that happens, I can move up.

And finding an employer willing to sponsor you is much harder, much more tedious than any of you can imagine. I just sent out my resume to 8 potentials this past week and we'll see where it goes.

Aren't radiologists covered by NAFTA, and thus wouldn't need to apply to immigrate - they could just get a job here? (I haven't checked the list of allowed profession, but I'd be shocked if radiologist wasn't on there).

NAFTA is bullshit. It really means nothing for individuals, otherwise I would have been in Canada years ago.

And I just realized how much bullshit this new Canadian Experience Class is.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

According to the actual web site, you have to have graduated from a Canadian college or university AND work 1 full year in a field (although it doesn't look like the list is limited to the 38 categories at a first glance).

This is total bullshit, because you could ALREADY apply for a work permit under the old system and as long as you had a year of experience you were pretty much guaranteed immigration.

Students are not allowed to work full time in Canada unless they get a work permit, I've talked with international students already.

So the only positive thing the new immigration system has created is a farce.

Lets be clear. You cannot immigrate to Canada automatically just by graduating from a Canadian university or college. You have to find an employer willing to work with you and hire you on a SEPARATE work permit.

I can apply for a work permit if a potential employer hires me without a Canadian education.

I wonder if it's easier to find a Canadian to marry instead of going through the whole immigration process :p With so many lay offs I keep reading almost daily, it might be hard to find a job.

I just applied to go to college at several GTA schools, but it looks like only one might be a good option due to financing, program availability, and etc.

There's another intense immigration discussion in the politics section that I've devoted more time to recently, more is available there for reading right now.

Just a personal update, my US Dept of Education FAFSA form came back with good qualifications, now its just up to a bank to finance the loan to go back to college this fall in Ontario. Its my understanding that since its federally backed, it shouldn't be too awfully hard to get. But I do have some credit problems from the past, so we shall see... April is going to be an important month to see about my future.

Back