News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 838     0 

Immigration App Rejected

Firstly, it is quite clear that my previous response was not directed toward immigrants or visible minorities. Rather, it was directed toward anyone (new to this country or long time resident) that takes more than they put in.
Spreading the lie that immigrants are any more prone to this than anyone else only furthers the prejudice.

Spreading the lie that immigrants are any more prone to this than anyone else only furthers the prejudice.

That's not my prejudice, is it yours? In each of the two responses that I have given so far, I quite clearly stated that my viewpoint applies to new and existing Canadians.

That's not my prejudice, is it yours? In each of the two responses that I have given so far, I quite clearly stated that my viewpoint applies to new and existing Canadians.
Well I apologise if I've misinterpreted. When you referred to "the huge number of new (and existing) residents who refuse to learn one of our official languages, mooch off the system, choose not to work, and really end up being more of a burden than anything else." I thought you were singling out immigrants. But truth be told, I was making an assumption. Though off hand, I can't think of too many Canadian-born citizens who refuse to learn either of our official languages ... but I'm starting to think that isn't exactly the way you meant it.

Thank you, I accept your apology.

To clarify, my official language quotation simply meant that by learning your new country's official language, it allows existing Canadians to get to know you better :)

I wouldn't move to China if I couldn't speak Mandarin or Cantonese, or at least had no intentions of learning it fluently.

It seems a lot of immigrants come to Canada without this in mind. And their sponsors don't even bother at all.

Maybe if Canada didn't bend over backwards to make sure that new immigrants had to make the least effort possible to get anything out of their new country, that would change.

If the thread continues at this level of discussion, it might be bettr to close it.

Brandon, I don't know anything about you or your personal situation, so can comment only in the vaguest of terms. I extend my best wishes to you and can say that, if recent changes have been adverse to you, there is also the possibility that things can change back in the opposite direction, especially once we get past the current economic difficulties (and yes, we will get past them). Someone suggested above that you finish a 4-year university degree, instead of the 2 years that you currently have, if I have understood correctly. Maybe your studies could be aimed in the direction of one of those 38 categories? I wonder if that would help your case? (Perhaps not, I don't know. I realize it's gratuitous advice, which is easy to offer.)

-----

As for "backlogs" in the immigration system, which some people complain of as if they were something new, it's worth pointing out that they have existed for many years and will certainly continue to exist for many more years, regardless of who is in government. They are pretty much permanent.

We live in a country where half or more of the world's population would love to relocate, if they could. We can't accommodate more than a fraction of these people, and it's impossible to visualize how there could not be backlogs.

I actually have a 3 year associates degree, something slightly different from a college diploma as its more liberal arts oriented and less trade oriented like a college diploma.

However, education isn't the factor anymore. I could have a master's degree, unless I have at least a few years of experience in one of the 38 job categories, I would have been rejected. I thought 1 year was enough, but its not. Technically it is enough, but not by the immigration officer who reviewed my application (and misspelled my name on the rejection letter, which is highly insulting for someone who is supposed to go through detail after detail and be very precise when reviewing the app).

And again, if I had the money I would have applied at a university in Canada years ago. Its mucho expensive for an international student and I simply don't have the financial ability to do that.

The only way for me to seek immigration at this point is to work in Canada under a work permit, and that's what I tried in 2004 and 2007. After thousands of resumes and applications, I have come to learn that it takes a personal friend or connection, or a very special job in order to get a work permit to be sponsored. Its much more rare than anyone really understands. After working on a permit for at least 12 months I would then qualify no problem and it would be smooth sailing.

That is really the only way, unless I marry someone or if I were lucky enough to have family (which I don't). And I don't take marriage lightly, I'm not marrying someone (nor do I want to be stuck with someone) for dependence just to live.

Last edited:
Brandon, I would also like to suggest that you keep your head up and I hope that one day our system works in your favour (even if in the short term you've given up, who knows what's down the road, right?)

Perhaps I've missed it, but what is your work background?

There might be someone here who knows someone or is in a position where they can help you out. I'm sure people here have tried to help you out, but there's new people joining this board all the time that aren't aware of your situation. All you need is one break and things can turn around quickly. So I wouldn't give up complete and utter hope. There's a community here, and I think you've entrenched yourself in it, and I have no doubts that if someone here can help you, they will.

I actually have a 3 year associates degree ...
I've never figured out what Yanks mean by Associates degreees. It's not a University degree, but I keep being told their colleges are the same as universities.

I've always figured it's what you get for working at Walmart.

Is this the equivalent of a community college degree? Kind of like a 3-year DEC?

I know in the long term it may work out, but there are serious issues to go through. I'm going to be 27 later this month, and eventually I can only move and rebuild social networks so much. I just now got settled in Pittsburgh and have really been reconnecting a social network I've not had in a while.

Right now I'm trying to get into a program that will begin an accelerated program to allow me to finish studies next year in 2010. Especially now that I know I won't be in Toronto, and these opportunities take a long time to work up to. Its a 100% tuition reimbursement program so that I may finish up right here in the states. I've been wanting to finish up at a Canadian institution, with Canadian rates.

I've been putting so many personal things off for so long because I just knew this year would be the year I could move. I had no idea this would happen as I thought I met all the requirements. Its so complicated no matter how much is written would describe it.

Beyond these issues, I still have a love for Canada and Toronto that will go on. I can never truly say I'll give up totally, but what can someone do after so long?

As far as what a degree means, I don't think there is an Associates Degree equivilent in Canada. The college diploma program is as close as it gets. Associate programs are meant to be the first two years of a traditional 4 year university program OR as a trade oriented program (if you choose that path) to get a job after 2 years of study.

The American community college system was set up to be a primer for university, as trade schools are considered separate entity here. In Canada I don't think that's the same, I think colleges are meant to primarily prep people to work after 2 years.

This is one of those things that are certainly different, all I can say is the majority of my education (2 years) were spent in a 4 year university environment.

Also, many American universities offer Associates programs. I'm sure UofT or York doesn't offer an associates degree on 2 or 3 years of study. Its one of the subtle differences between American and Canadian education.

As far as my background? From 2004-2007 it was tech support and e-services support oriented. From late 2007 - today its more database combined with fundraising via phone banks. Right now I manage a database system and a fundraising system.

Brandon, would you maybe consider learning one of those 38 trades in the US and then using that skill to help your immigration process? Also, I think that you could start an online business that would be registered in the US but earn you enough money to live at least part of the time in TO. With your experience in fundraising, you could probably dig up a valuable list of contacts that could help you get started. Not to mention, living in Toronto can be amazingly cheap if you don't have high standards and the exchange rate is very favourable right now.

Back