News   May 03, 2024
 903     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 560     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 273     0 

If you could change one thing about Toronto, what would it be?

One thing?

I would like that officials would care, that they would actually try to solve problems.

I recently tried to get the local high school involved with the 20 minute makeover programme. The TDSB replied to my request AFTER the date of the makeover.

I recently tried to get the Parks Department to institute the Dog Waste Programme in the local park. First off the park is too "small". Second off the other area is under control of the TTC. Do you think anyone took it upon themselves to say that they would contact the TTC about the suggestion?

They recently reconstructed numerous sidewalks in our area, now Ferpal has come in to redo the pipes. This involves ripping up some of the newly laid sidewalks!

The new 311 system is way behind schedule, and I hardly think that a note to them would get ALL of the affected departments working in earnest.

So my suggestion is that we get a Co-ordination Minister in place to solve these dilemmas.

There are many competent people working for the city but the ethos seems to be that if it's not my department I don't care.

This is what I would change!

"They recently reconstructed numerous sidewalks in our area, now Ferpal has come in to redo the pipes. This involves ripping up some of the newly laid sidewalks!"

Things like this are wasteful enough that I'm sure there will eventually be an IT solution created to help cities coordinate infrastructure upgrades/maintenance with various utilities to minimize rework.

True indeed

But it's 2009, don't they have that already, I can see the ripped up sidewalk on Bing Bird's eye view! Well not really, but you get my point.

We're talking about government, here... anything IT related costs 10x as much and takes 10x as long and has a 50% chance of abject failure.

IT investments require hawk-like oversight to ensure results are delivered on time and on budget. Governments, for whatever reason, seem to be bad at this. Of course, beyond that, there is the odd case of nepotism and corruption (the city has seen this on a pretty large scale).

I hate to sound like an alcoholic but the blue laws need to go.

no more last call, return to happy hour, open container in parks and at events etc.

I can live with the LCBO (even though the convenience of purchasing wine at Target that I've grown accustomed to seems so civilized) but the blue laws stink.

I'm only leery about drinking in public spaces. Unless the crack down on disturbing the peace, drinking often leads to a decrease in other people's enjoyment of public space.

Drinking in public makes me uneasy as well. If it was just some guy having a beer in the park while walking his dog or at a picnic that is one thing. In places like London though, you get abject alcoholics just drinking a bunch of schwag then passing out on a park bench, a bunch of chavs huddled around some malt liquor and weed and just a general increase in poor public conduct.

I'm totally fine with lowering the drinking age, making it easier for places to get a liqour license and at least lifting the LCBO monopoly, but only as long as it is regulated to ensure that drunkedness stays where it belongs, pubs, clubs and people's homes, not parks, back alleys and sidewalks.

Drinking in public makes me uneasy as well. If it was just some guy having a beer in the park while walking his dog or at a picnic that is one thing. In places like London though, you get abject alcoholics just drinking a bunch of schwag then passing out on a park bench, a bunch of chavs huddled around some malt liquor and weed and just a general increase in poor public conduct.

I'm totally fine with lowering the drinking age, making it easier for places to get a liqour license and at least lifting the LCBO monopoly, but only as long as it is regulated to ensure that drunkedness stays where it belongs, pubs, clubs and people's homes, not parks, back alleys and sidewalks.

meh, I don't really think you'd see all that much increase in that sort of behavior since it occurs anyway and the sort of people who'd take advantage of an opening in that law are probably the same people doing that anyway.

I just meant for events like say Pride or outdoor concerts. I'm a little tired of being sequestered away in some stupid tent.

It just seems more civilized than the complete an utter nanny state that's the norm right now (at least where alcohol is concerned).

I love Toronto's many street festivals (Queen's Park, Harbourfront and Distillery included). If there was one thing I could do to improve in Toronto, it would be to improve these many festivals.

I think they can be a much larger draw for tourists and they could go a long way towards helping our economy and culture. I know some are already huge and don't need much help but the festivals should be a key to Toronto entertainment and tourism strategy.

Invest in the ethnic festivals, invite cultural groups from the homeland and the large American cities to join in our festivals. Bring their artists and their population will follow.

Stagger them better so that there street festivals every weekend, spring, summer and fall. Have a few in the winter too. At least one "frosty frolic" every winter month.

During street festivals, allow people to drink alcohol while walking the enclosed areas. It would create more of a party atmosphere with the patrons from the restaurants spilling off of the patios and into the street.

The festivals show us how street food is to be done. Curried goat next to pad thai, Shawarma next to Nutella crepes. Scrap the failed street food program and let the people decide.

Lets make Toronto "Festival City". It'll be more fun and business for all.

In addition to the governance issue, I highlighted before, I would love to see some pedestrian streets. I definitely think Yonge south of Bloor should be pedestrianized. Imagine a pedestrian that connects to key public spaces like Dundas Square.

meh, I don't really think you'd see all that much increase in that sort of behavior since it occurs anyway and the sort of people who'd take advantage of an opening in that law are probably the same people doing that anyway.

I just meant for events like say Pride or outdoor concerts. I'm a little tired of being sequestered away in some stupid tent.

It just seems more civilized than the complete an utter nanny state that's the norm right now (at least where alcohol is concerned).

Yea, that would make sense. Its ridiculous at sporting events to have some tent off in the boonies for people to drink overpriced beer surrounded by enough police to invade Poland. Sporting events, festivals, certain parades and various other parties should be able to apply for some kind of exemption so that they are exempt from some liquor laws.

Drinking in public places

While I would not list Drinking in public as any one of my top 10 priorities for the City, I do think we could do with a little more freedom and little less nanny state in this regard.

Keep in mind, separate from the open container rules; that being drunk in public is a criminal offense unto itself (though rarely enforced, unless people are causing trouble, which is as it should be)

While I don't care for seeing people up and down the street boozing it up (I don't think this to be a likely problem); but I have this thought, that going on a picnic w/one's significant other, and bringing a bottle of wine ought not to be a crime (I don't think any police officer in their right mind would charge anyone now, but then we don't need a law police won't enforce!)

I'd be inclined to start the push for looser laws though by simply saying let's match Quebec, 3AM last call, legal drinking age 18. All hell has not broken loose in our neighbours to the east, so I think that is a very winnable argument.

Back