News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 272     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 805     0 

Iced tea - why no unsweetened version in Canada

I've discovered a great tasting unsweetened bottled iced tea at the Sobeys at Queen's Quay. It's called China Mist and is available in white tea, green tea and black tea. The only additional sweetness, which is not very much, is from the fruit juice blended with the tea.

The other unsweetened iced tea I can think of is from Starbucks. I personally enjoy their iced unsweetened pasion tea.

I don't mind the Starbucks iced tea but I always ask for just a bit of ice, otherwise you're paying for nothing but ice! I heartily dislike whatever iced tea concoction I tried at Second Cup however.

Hi I'm one of the partners at Kitimai Tea & Coffee and was just searching on our Kenyan Mamri tea to see if anyone had thoughts on it. I'm really glad to hear that people are enjoying our tea was we have been packing it for more than 20 years. I personally like making masala chai with the Kenyan Mamri tea. Or even just a nice strong traditional cup of tea with milk and sugar. I also would like to say thanks to all who have supported us by purchasing our teas and coffees.

Hope you're not too offended that I'm blending it with another tea? I'm fond of unusual pairings, when they work.

not a problem with me, I'm happy that you enjoy our tea. I also know the tea that you are blending it with from Sri Lanka it is a large leaf Ceylon OP1 grade tea with the slightest hint of bergamot, often so small you can not detect it. I will have to try this blend out one day. As we do have a very similar OP1 tea and could add just hint of bergamot to it to see what it tastes like. I also noticed that you liked Kenyan Milima, which is another nice Kenyan tea it is just quite a bit more expensive. Well time for a nice cuppa tea for me. Thanks for your insight!

Yes, I thought I noticed a hint of bergamot, so thanks for confirming it.

If you come up with a commercial version of my blend feel free to name it Urban Shocker Tea - it'll confuse the hell out of people who know Shocker only as an obscure baseball player from the 1920s. A "spitballer" whatever the heck that is.

I love to just brew some regular tea (orange pekoe) then stick it into the fridge. Add some ice and freshly cut lemon when it comes time to drink and it's just delicious.

Except it really is better with sugar. I am trying to cut myself down to a few spoons of sugar per gallon of "sweet tea." And I hate it with lemon--I prefer fresh mint leaves from my balcony. Sometimes, I use a tiny pinch of stevia instead--that way it is 100% sugar free yet isn't bitter.

Last edited:
Except it really is better with sugar. I am trying to cut myself down to a few spoons of sugar per gallon of "sweet tea." And I hate it with lemon--I prefer fresh mint leaves from my balcony. Sometimes, I use a tiny pinch of stevia instead--that way it is 100% sugar free yet isn't bitter.
Fresh mint leaves ... there's a thought. And perhaps a way to use the jungle of mint in my back garden. I planted a single mint plant last year. Despite pulling a few entirely, I counted over 70 plants recently ...

Back