News   Apr 23, 2024
 381     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Iced tea - why no unsweetened version in Canada

lead82

Member Bio
Reaction score
When traveling to the US, I always enjoy drinking unsweetened iced-tea because I find the regular (sweetened) iced-tea to be too sweet.

Yet in Canada, where generally we have healthier food options than the US, no restaurant of store sells unsweetened iced-tea.

Does anyone know why this is the case?

I'll bet the answer will be "market research" dictates that. I have never been asked any "market research" questions. Must keep asking people who have a sweet tooth.

Also, must be asking the same people who prefer the oversize laundry scoops one gets inside laundry detergent boxes. No one asked me if I want a scoop that are 1½ times the required amount for a single load. I could have ended up using more detergent than required, which results in using up the box faster, if I forget.

Haha, maybe the dentists association of Canada banded together to offer more sugar into beverages such as iced-tea. :)

If it's unsweetened you crave, just brew a jug of teabags and put it in your fridge.

I have issues with the US never having sweetened iced tea. Every time I order iced tea in the US, I forget about the whole sweetened/non sweetened thing and end up with a drink that I cant drink. I don't like the taste of unsweetened iced tea at all. The worst case of this was in Chicago when I ordered a large iced tea from McD's. Ended up tossing it out.

It would be great if unsweetened iced tea was offered in Toronto. There is a serious lack of low-sugar, non-"diet" beverage options other than water or overpriced Perrier.

Ah, true enough. I use loose leaves actually. I'm very fussy about my tea. I always make my own iced tea because I find the stuff in bottles tastes like chemicals and the stuff in cans ... well, it tastes like the can.

I have issues with the US never having sweetened iced tea. Every time I order iced tea in the US, I forget about the whole sweetened/non sweetened thing and end up with a drink that I cant drink. I don't like the taste of unsweetened iced tea at all. The worst case of this was in Chicago when I ordered a large iced tea from McD's. Ended up tossing it out.
Actually just a few days ago, I ordered an iced tea (without specifying) and got one that was nastily sweet. I still finished it though.

Back