News   Jul 23, 2024
 612     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.8K     3 

i want to be a first time buyer...completely new at this

iblastoff

Member Bio
Reaction score
First of all I pretty much know nothing about purchasing a condo and my current knowledge of mortgages/financing could be very much improved upon. I'm hoping to do that now.

I have to admit the recent fly condos deal caught my attention. It seems to have garnered some undeserved hype but it has sparked an interest in me to finally buy a place of my own. I'd like to use fly condos as an example and would appreciate any comments/enlightenment on what I currently know about the system.

Take this specific condo as an example: the baliancaga(pdf)

686sq feet - one bedroom + 1 den + balcony of 50-80 feet. The price shown here (pdf) says that 1 bedroom+1den starts at $265,900 and seeing as this particular floor plan is one of the larger ones I would assume it's going to be around $285'ish. The balcony looks like its going to be facing west so i assume i would be staring at 'the element' whenever that pops up.

anyway some financing / mortgage questions..the above price list shows the deposit structure as follows:
Interest will be paid on ALL deposits from date of receipt.
With Agreement - $2000
Balance to 15% spread over one year
Due on Occupancy- 5%

Ok so to break that down, I'm assuming that means upon signed agreement, I'd have to give a deposit of $2000, and from that starting date (lets say today), I have till june 15, 2010 to pay off 15% of the total amount of the condo correct? Of course those would be split into 3-4 month installments I assume.

I'm unclear as to what "Due on Occupancy" means though. I'm assuming by occupancy they mean when the condo is livable BUT not registered yet correct? During this "occupancy" stage you have to pay the whole "phantom rent" debacle right?

The financing is as follows (at least if you do it through their sales dept):
36 Month Capped Rate Mortgage Program through BMO (BankofMontreal).

First of all for pre-construction condos are they generally ok with you finding your own mortgage broker or are they set on you using one of their major bank systems? And when do you actually have to start paying your mortgage payments? I would assume *after* the first year where you pay the 15% of the balance?

And finally this "Premium per floor" and ceiling height system:
$1,000 per floor; $10,000 ceiling height premium from 10th to 11th floor
(Additional premiums may apply. Please inquire with an Empire Real Estate Advisor.)
CEILING HEIGHT: 8’ ceilings on floors up to the 10th inclusive, 9’*ceilings on floors 11 through to*PH*

This seems pretty straightforward but just in case...if I wanted to live on the 6th floor that means I'd have to pay an extra $6,000 correct? But if I wanted to live on the 10th floor or above, I'd have to pay 10 x $1000 per floor PLUS $10,000 ceiling height premium? Is that how it works?

Lastly, this is in regards to exclusive buyer's agents. Assuming I've already chosen the place i want to purchase, do I still need an exclusive buyers agent? I know there's pros and cons of having one...with my current knowledge of how things work I would definitely need one. but I want to educate myself as much as possible to the point where it wouldn't be as necessary.

I understand they get a certain amount of commission that technically comes out of my pocket despite the fact their services are "free" to you. I've read that people can often save several thousands by mentioning they weren't currently working with a buyers agent and thus save on commission cost. Is this something plausible for pre-construction condos or are they quite rigid on pricing?

I'm sorry if these are extremely naive questions but any comments/tips/corrections would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
hi iblastoff ... welcome to UT and Toronto.

686sq feet - one bedroom + 1 den + balcony of 50-80 feet. The price shown here (pdf) says that 1 bedroom+1den starts at $265,900 and seeing as this particular floor plan is one of the larger ones I would assume it's going to be around $285'ish. The balcony looks like its going to be facing west so i assume i would be staring at 'the element' whenever that pops up..

IMO this floorplan's layout is quite poor.
There is a column in the middle of the LR/DR/kitchen area, and that leaves only 8ft width and 13 ft length of usuable space for LR/DR when you take traffic patterns into consideration.

FYI ... here's a trick regarding floorplans.
use a marker and draw lines along paths you would take to walk around
(ie. from front door to kitchen to den to bedroom, etc.)

300 Front will be on the west side of Fly, Element is already constructed and on the east side.

Ok so to break that down, I'm assuming that means upon signed agreement, I'd have to give a deposit of $2000, and from that starting date (lets say today), I have till june 15, 2010 to pay off 15% of the total amount of the condo correct? Of course those would be split into 3-4 month installments I assume.
yes and yes.

I'm unclear as to what "Due on Occupancy" means though. I'm assuming by occupancy they mean when the condo is livable BUT not registered yet correct? During this "occupancy" stage you have to pay the whole "phantom rent" debacle right?..
yes and yes

First of all for pre-construction condos are they generally ok with you finding your own mortgage broker or are they set on you using one of their major bank systems? And when do you actually have to start paying your mortgage payments? I would assume *after* the first year where you pay the 15% of the balance?
you can find your own mortgage broker.
however, that being said, usually the bank that's doing the financing for this project is willing to give you a rate xxx months into the future, while most mortgage brokers won't commit to anything more than 3 months.

you start paying the mortgage after the building is registered, and you get the mortgage. in the interim from 'occupancy' to registration, you pay the phantom mortgage/rent to the builder.

This seems pretty straightforward but just in case...if I wanted to live on the 6th floor that means I'd have to pay an extra $6,000 correct? But if I wanted to live on the 10th floor or above, I'd have to pay 10 x $1000 per floor PLUS $10,000 ceiling height premium? Is that how it works?
your assessment seems right.

Lastly, this is in regards to exclusive buyer's agents. Assuming I've already chosen the place i want to purchase, do I still need an exclusive buyers agent? I know there's pros and cons of having one...with my current knowledge of how things work I would definitely need one. but I want to educate myself as much as possible to the point where it wouldn't be as necessary.

I understand they get a certain amount of commission that technically comes out of my pocket despite the fact they their services are *free* to you. I've read that people can often save several thousands by mentioning they weren't currently working with a buyers agent and thus save on commission cost. Is this something plausible for pre-construction condos or are they quite rigid on pricing?

first, if you're going with pre-construction, DO NOT register with the developer with your real name bc if you decide to work with an agent, the developer will say you've registered directly with them and will not pay the agent. so theoretically, you 'might' be on the hook to pay commissions to the buyer agent directly if you used their services.

ask the develop if they are willing to provide discounts if you buy without a buyer's agent. some do, most don't, which is why it's sometimes best to work with buyer agent who will offer you come commission kick-back. <<< get that in writing from the buyer agent if they are willing to do so.

yeah, I don't like the floor plan either. The big dot in the middle ruins everything.

Floor plan plays important role in re-sale.

You know, if there wasn't a massive pillar in the middle of the living space, I'd quite like this floorplan too. I think it has some good points. Lots of windows (almost 30 feet) and large balcony especially on odd numbered floors. I really like the bathroom in that you kind of have a guest bathroom without having two separate baths - you could keep the mess and more private stuff in the shower room.

Not specific to this floorplan, but some people don't like west facing units since they get a lot of sun in the afternoon. The place where I'm living right now gets extremely hot on spring/summer afternoons without a/c due to sunlight, but it is nice in the winter.

sun in the afternoons is fantastic. I think a bright unit facing west is way better then a darker unit, for living and resale purposes. Good blinds will help keep unit cool.

I agree re: the pillar. I have neighbours who curse the f*cking pillars in their space. It really is an impediment to your living space.

I would consider another floor plan.

thanks all for the informative replies! i actually didn't even notice the pillar right there.

on a personal note i cannot stand the sun at all. if it were a feasible option i'd definitely get a place facing away from the midday sun.

thanks all for the informative replies! i actually didn't even notice the pillar right there.
on a personal note i cannot stand the sun at all. if it were a feasible option i'd definitely get a place facing away from the midday sun.

OMG ... I laughed my ass off when I read that !

Imagine if you had purchased and upon moving day ...

la lala lala ... okay, let's move the couch into the LR ... BUMP ...
whooaaa'ssss THIS in the middle of my condo ???!!!??? :confused:

hahah yep definitely did not look at the floorplan closely...i sorta just picked a random one to use as an example to understand how it all works.

just curious, has anyone purchased a condo from fly condos and are able to share their experience thus far?

with respect to the pillar, a creative individual could construct a spiral bookshelf (like stairs) that winds itself along the pillar. anyways, congrats on your first home purchase whenever and wherever that may be.

that actually sounds like a pretty decent idea!

unfortunately i contacted fly condos...theres only one ballenciaga left and its on the 17th floor. its starting price is 327k which is more than i expected. tack on the 40k parking space and ehhh...

i'm now looking at liberty market lofts!

that actually sounds like a pretty decent idea!

unfortunately i contacted fly condos...theres only one ballenciaga left and its on the 17th floor. its starting price is 327k which is more than i expected. tack on the 40k parking space and ehhh...

i'm now looking at liberty market lofts!

wow... that's $477 sq/ft. for a place that isnt going to be done in another 3-4years. Preconstruction isnt cheap anymore.

wow... that's $477 sq/ft. for a place that isnt going to be done in another 3-4years. Preconstruction isnt cheap anymore.

Well, the time delay is a positive thing, financially speaking. You're not paying for it now but in 3-4 years. So, it's attractive if you think it'll be a good price for that place at that time.

Back