News   Jun 25, 2024
 548     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 637     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Hudson's Bay Company

Brookfield does indeed own the property.

The Bay hasn't had any office space in the tower for years.

I don't know why the Weston's would bring Selfridges to Canada (which essentially is Holt Renfrew) to compete with Holt Renfrew 50 feet away.

Selfridges is Holts done correctly. The men's dept at Selfridges alone... Get rid of Holts and bring in Selfridges (if we're talking dream scenarios).

Future Shop and Best Buy targeted quite different demographics; similarly Simpsons was viewed as somewhat more upscale than the Bay (I don't think they had a lot of brand cross over). With Selfridges and Holt Renfrew - they're basically the exact same store and carry VERY (if not the same brands). Weston Group seems to be interested in consolidating their positions - in Montreal - Holts and Ogilvy are combining.

I can't think of a mall that was built with Bay and Simpson's as anchors that was built after the Bay bought Simpson's. I think the last mall built with them at either end was Woodbine Centre...that one may have opened after the Bay purchase but was probably under construction (and pre-leased) prior to the merger.

If (and I doubt it) the Weston's wanted to operate out of Y&B why import Selfridges....they could just bring that other iconic Canadian brand that they own to town.....Ogilvy's Toronto has a nice ring to it.

Ogilvy as we've all know it so far will no longer exist. It will merge with Holts and will be one store. So why would they expand it in other cities when they are basically ending it in its home city? Holts has big plans for Canada. Give it some time. It can't happen overnight.

Selfridges is Holts done correctly. The men's dept at Selfridges alone... Get rid of Holts and bring in Selfridges (if we're talking dream scenarios).

It is about 2.5 times Bloor Street Holts!!! (It's 540,000 square feet!)

Ogilvy as we've all know it so far will no longer exist. It will merge with Holts and will be one store. So why would they expand it in other cities when they are basically ending it in its home city? Holts has big plans for Canada. Give it some time. It can't happen overnight.

minor point but Montreal is not Ogilvy's home city (AFAIK)....I believe it started in Ottawa.

Last I heard about the Montreal plan (to close Ogilvy's, move Holts in as part of a massive block redevelopment incorporating the old Hotel de la Montagne site (which Selfridges bought) has been at least postponed if not scrapped.....that aside, I was hoping the idea that I was joking about Ogilvy's coming here would come through somehow.

The Ottawa Ogilvy chain was actually different than the Montreal store. The st. Catharine Ogilvy is the original and only Ogilvy's (of the Montreal store).

The plans are moving forward to combine holt Renfrew and Ogilvy in one location. The name will be "Ogilvy part of the holt Renfrew collection"

Last edited:
The #1 scenario is the one I would really like to see happen. I love seeing Oxford and CF try and outdo one another. The consumer wins in the end! :)

1 - Oxford ups the ante and buys the building the Bay on Bloor is situated in, then buys out the Bay's lease. They then market that space, along with Sears at Yorkdale, to a foreign retailer like Federated or Neiman Marcus. Both the Bay on Bloor, and Sears Yorkdale are two of the best locations in the city for high end retail. If a foreign dept store wants to come to Toronto, this would be a great opportunity for them.

minor point but Montreal is not Ogilvy's home city (AFAIK)....I believe it started in Ottawa.
The Montreal Ogilvy is older by 2 decades. And i believe the two Ogilvy's were completely separate.

Last I heard about the Montreal plan (to close Ogilvy's, move Holts in as part of a massive block redevelopment incorporating the old Hotel de la Montagne site (which Selfridges bought) has been at least postponed if not scrapped.....that aside, I was hoping the idea that I was joking about Ogilvy's coming here would come through somehow.

They've already begun with the transformation.

Retail Insider reports that the sale of the Queen St. store to Cadillac Fairview has been completed:

http://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-created-as-toronto-sakshbc-deal-is-completed

On my way to work this morning...

10961966303_5c0478dc53_z.jpg

I understand why they did it. They placed it on the very left side of the corner two windows for each side. It would have looked better if they did it symmetrically though

Just noticed that it appears that the sign is alligned "correctly" on the NE corner:

1000w

http://www.retail-insider.com/retai...1/saks-fifth-avenue-to-open-150000-sq-ft.html

Last edited:
I was there yesterday. It was still in the final stages of being set up, but it was great. Lots of weddings recently, and everyone has registered at The Bay. This makes shopping a breeze.

Back