News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 455     0 

Hudson's Bay Company

The other main reason is that Cadillac wanted it downtown and was willing to pay.

Somewhere right now the store manager at Holt Renfrew on Bloor is saying "whew".

Not sure they are.....this move clusters more of the shopping down by the Eaton Centre.......with Simon, Nordstrom, Hudson Bay, Saks all down there, it does make it less likely that the shopper, particularly the toursit shopper, will find their way up to Bloor. I would bet the manager at HR would love there to be another anchor/destination shop in their 'hood. Maybe HBC will try and convince Brookfield to pumping in some cash at Y&B to make an attractive looking Lord & Taylor shop.

The $500 million cash infusion would have appealed, there may be tax benefits in leasing as opposed to owning, they unloaded an office building that is nearly 50 years old and needs to be upgraded, this allows them to focus on retailing and not on property management at that location, &c, &c.

Not sure they are.....this move clusters more of the shopping down by the Eaton Centre.......with Simon, Nordstrom, Hudson Bay, Sacks all down there, it does make it less likely that the shopper, particularly the toursit shopper, will find their way up to Bloor. I would bet the manager at HR would love there to be another anchor/destination shop on their 'hood. Maybe HBC will try and convince Brookfield to pumping in some cash at Y&B to make an attractive looking Lord & Taylor shop.

Fair enough on the first point. (ETA: Other than the reference to Simons, which has not yet been announced for TEC and might not be, although I share that hopeful thinking and believe Cadillac would be stupid not to secure Simons).

Lord & Taylor won't be coming to Canada unless they decide to ditch the Hudson's Bay banner.

Last edited:
this is very crucial, all of those tourists that go to the Eaton centre now and read the maps to see what is in the mall get told it ends at the Macdonalds at Queen Street....
McDonald's at Queen Street? Looks like you haven't been to the Eaton Centre in a few years.

Interesting news. Never thought HB would want to get rid of those properties. I also question whether technically falling under the Eaton Centre banner will make that much of a difference, though I can see some of the potential.

Hopefully the space is divided in a thoughtful way. The downtown Bay is a pretty iconic location.

Hopefully this also means they'll make some big changes to the Yonge & Bloor store.

Wonder what will happen to TOPMAN/TOPSHOP with Nordstrom moving up to Canada? TOPMAN/TOPSHOP have a contract with Nordstrom in the states.

From a marketing perspective, I think this whole idea of creating a Saks within The Bay is going to create too much brand confusion and ultimately cause Saks to underperform in Canada. Hudson's Bay, in spite of the recent improvements, is still not highly regarded as a luxury department store. Bloor St would have been the preferable option as its already an established shopping district catering to well-heeled clients. Damn, HBC you had to gone and mess it up!!!

Wonder what will happen to TOPMAN/TOPSHOP with Nordstrom moving up to Canada? TOPMAN/TOPSHOP have a contract with Nordstrom in the states.

I think Topman/Topshop will remain with HBC until Nordstrom opens in Toronto.

From a marketing perspective, I think this whole idea of creating a Saks within The Bay is going to create too much brand confusion and ultimately cause Saks to underperform in Canada. Hudson's Bay, in spite of the recent improvements, is still not highly regarded as a luxury department store. Bloor St would have been the preferable option as its already an established shopping district catering to well-heeled clients. Damn, HBC you had to gone and mess it up!!!

Agree completely.

I don't like the fact that we're having shopping neighborhoods scattered around town. I prefer the Chicago and Montreal way where all is in the same area. One destination to find it all, where everybody wants to be.

Nordstram's deal will be for America....HBC's is for Canada....the stores we are talking about are in Canada....so....

Back