News   Jul 04, 2024
 269     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 442     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 530     1 

How far/long do you walk to transit?

My front lawn has a Brampton Transit bus stop sign on it. That said, I live directly in front of a bus stop served by 8 Centre.
Well that's somewhat horrifying.

Brampton Buses:
300-500m between three routes. I use the 18 (closest) mostly, then (19), and never use the 22 (farthest and doesn't take me where I want to go mostly).

About 50m further from the farthest, is a Trinity Common - Sheppard GO Bus Stop though.

I walk about 50 m for a local bus service and about 250 m to access an express bus service that has the same frequency as the local bus. The local bus also stops at the express stop.

This is the first time where I've lived somewhere where I can actually use something approaching "rational choice" in my transportation decision making.

...The point here is transit is accessible, but not affordable, especially in the suburbs.:(

+1! I agree. I know that many people who are just too far to use a border TTC route, just opt to use their cars because it's cheaper than having to pay for two or even sometimes three different transit fares. If there was a mutual agreement between the suburban transit authorities and the TTC to allow direct YRT routes that connect to the subway to allow the free transfer, then based on ridership the YRT would then pay back the TTC an amount of money, etc. This in turn would reduce congestion on some of these border routes and provide better comfort/ ease for commuters.

I live right across the street from the Finch subway, takes me about 5mins from my door to the train platform.

Within 500m, I have access to 3 buses. The 35 Jane, the 89 Weston, and the 32D Eglinton-Emmett buses. Of them the 35 Jane is most reliable, usually one every 5 minutes. Usually, because sometimes they bunch up on Jane Street in a herd of 4 or 5 at a time.

If I need to get to the Yonge-University-Spadina subway, I sometimes check the schedule to see if I can catch the 35D. However, in most cases I would take the 89 Weston south to St. Clair and transfer to the 512 St. Clair streetcar instead. The only drawback with that route is the traffic congestion coming off Black Creek Drive slows down the bus big time.

The walk to most of the bus stops from my home is around 5 minutes.

+1! I agree. I know that many people who are just too far to use a border TTC route, just opt to use their cars because it's cheaper than having to pay for two or even sometimes three different transit fares. If there was a mutual agreement between the suburban transit authorities and the TTC to allow direct YRT routes that connect to the subway to allow the free transfer, then based on ridership the YRT would then pay back the TTC an amount of money, etc. This in turn would reduce congestion on some of these border routes and provide better comfort/ ease for commuters.

It could start as an experiment like the introduction of a rush hour transfer with a 2 hour limit that you can use to transfer to other buses, or the obvious, transit system changes. The idea is that rush hour (between the hours of 7-9:30/10 and 2:45/3-8) could be used to see if ridership rises, and if it does, then the rush hour transfer could be turned into a regional transfer/ticket. If the transit systems want more than the shared payout, they could make it up to 25 cents from the base fare.

you walk 1000m in 5 mins? So you're telling me you walk 200m per minute? Are you 6'4 or what?

I'm 6'2" and I walk approximately 6.5 km/h, or about half that speed and I typically walk fast for most people. So I can't see how anyone can "walk" at at pace of 12 km/h.

I live about 550 m from the Bloor-Danforth (Donlands) line and it takes me about 5-6 minutes, depending on whether I have to wait for the light at Danforth or not.

I also live 300 m from the nearest bus stop (300 night bus aside) and 1020 m from the nearest streetcar (506) stop. Though I rarely use the bus (83 Jones) since it only runs once every 18-30 minutes outside rush hour. I have an additional streetcar line (501) located 1760 m from my house. In addition, I have a 72 Pape bus stop about 700 m away, though typically if I'm not taking the subway, I walk the 1850 m to catch the 504 on Broadview.

I've probably given away way too much geographical info. Please don't stalk me. I have a very ferocious dog. :)

750m walk to Bayview Station or 900m walk to Bessarion Station. Walking to Bayview doesn't seem that long as the middle third of the trip is done via Bayview Village Mall.

you walk 1000m in 5 mins? So you're telling me you walk 200m per minute? Are you 6'4 or what?

I was guessing in metres, it's about 550 metres when I measure on Google Maps.

Bus Stop, N/S = 41 Keele, 500M
Bus Stop, E/W = 165 Weston Road N/96 Wilson, 600M
Subway, YUS = Wilson, 3.5KM
Subway, B/D = Keele, 9.6KM

I live about 550 m from the Bloor-Danforth (Donlands) line and it takes me about 5-6 minutes, depending on whether I have to wait for the light at Danforth or not.

I also live 300 m from the nearest bus stop (300 night bus aside) and 1020 m from the nearest streetcar (506) stop. Though I rarely use the bus (83 Jones) since it only runs once every 18-30 minutes outside rush hour. I have an additional streetcar line (501) located 1760 m from my house. In addition, I have a 72 Pape bus stop about 700 m away, though typically if I'm not taking the subway, I walk the 1850 m to catch the 504 on Broadview.

I've probably given away way too much geographical info. Please don't stalk me. I have a very ferocious dog. :)

wow I think we're neighbours

Back