News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 841     0 

How Can Toronto improve? How can Toronto become a better city overall?

It's amazing how much the stereotypes in Toronto have veered over the past 20 or 30 years. The city was once known as an almost laughably clean and proper place. Not sure what changed that.

So true. Related to this, I cannot recall ever seeing in Toronto a shop keeper sweeping the sidewalk in front of their shop. It's a common sight in European and Asian cities to see merchants cleaning the sidewalk and street in front of their business.

All part of a total lack of respect of public space that Torontonians seem to exhibit more than folks in any other major city I've been to.

Had to comment on this one ... I see shopkeepers doing this all the time so I disagree wholeheartedly. Using the Yonge and Eglinton area it happens quite often and I've seen it on Queen W frequently as well.

I think the problem is sweeping it away on the street / other areas doesn't accomplish much :) Which is the common practice.

Having said all that, I think people are a lot more disrespectful here of the public infrastructure and I'm not sure why ... i.e. throwing gum / cigarette buts on the street.

I mean even on the new Bloor granite sidewalks I see gum !

Had to comment on this one ... I see shopkeepers doing this all the time so I disagree wholeheartedly. Using the Yonge and Eglinton area it happens quite often and I've seen it on Queen W frequently as well.
Seconded ... I've seen it along pretty non-ritzy sections of Danforth and Gerrard quite recently.

Maybe, but it sounds like you're hunting for some rare illusive butterfly... I mean, if you have to look that hard...

"shhh, be very quiet. If we are very still we may just glimpse a shopkeeper sweep their doorstep."

As they say - one swallow does not a springtime make.

To answer the topic question....

-Immigrants need to not be allowed to foster anyone from their home country.
-Stricter rules to get into the country.
-Giving a shit about Toronto (This could include so many things like littering, vandalism, rudeness, etc.)

Seriously?

-Giving a shit about Toronto (This could include so many things like littering, vandalism, rudeness, etc.)

You just trying to be an idiot? This city's best attributes are all due to immigration!

So true. Related to this, I cannot recall ever seeing in Toronto a shop keeper sweeping the sidewalk in front of their shop. It's a common sight in European and Asian cities to see merchants cleaning the sidewalk and street in front of their business.

All part of a total lack of respect of public space that Torontonians seem to exhibit more than folks in any other major city I've been to.

My wife had a shop on Queen East for 4 years. She, her neighbours, the rest of the street, etc. had people sweeping, cleaning their windows, and shoveling the snow. Otherwise, no one would come into your shop. This, BTW, included the guys with dive bars, and was on a generally pretty run-down part of Queen East. I think it might have something to do with the fact you were a tourist in Europe, out at the time of day this would be done -- just before open, say 10am ish -- whereas you're hard at work at your desk while the merchants are sweeping.

Interesting. I spend about three months of the year in Toronto - living near Yonge and Wellesley, and I have not seen the merchants in the area doing what they should be doing. The rest of the time is in Europe and Asia where I see the neccesary being done all the time. Maybe I am just out at the wrong time of day and Toronto streets are spotless when I am not there. You tell me.

I actually liked Ford's idea of building bike lanes in a square around the downtown core. We don't get them on every street, but it would give bikers a way to safely move around the area until you needed to enter into it. I think he said they would be dedicated lanes too.

Why not? If they are Canadian citizens, why would they not have the same rights as any other Canadian citizen?

Why? Everyone knows that increased immigration helps the economy. One of the reasons we've weathered the recent recession better than the USA.

Are you just being sarcastic?

baystreet.jpg

baystreetjpg.jpg

Another golden spot Torontonians mustn't neglect.
When I look at that building from the Bay & Bloor crossing, I see a grand possible future for Bay street.
People should at least put something equivalent to Met Life building in NYC or the Chicago Board of Trade Building in that location.

Last edited:

honestly? without immigrants being allowed into our country we wouldn't have most of our best neighborhoods! e.g. chinatown, little italy, greektown etc. etc. we should pride ourselves in being a multicultural city, and country! and as other people said immigration drives the economy forward if anything we should encourage immigration. not discourage it

Back