News   Aug 30, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 493     0 

How Can Toronto improve? How can Toronto become a better city overall?

We can improve by actually putting the design review panel to good use. Wasn't it implemented a couple of years ago? Why are so many monotonous, thoughtless buildings still popping up?

In my opinion, the street festival/carnival/fair is one of Toronto's greatest assets for he enjoyment of our population and tourist alike.

I'd like to see a festival of some sort somewhere in the city every weekend of the year. While some of these marquis events are already popular and big draws, these don't have to be huge events with complicated set ups and expensive operating costs. Just something simple where people can come together in the out of doors, enjoy food and drink on the street(or in a park) and come together for a shared experience.

52 weeks of fun. Simple.

Last edited:
... or at least just one decent one in the winter.

You hit it on the nail, we have a lot of great programming in the spring / summer months. But not too much going on in the winter.

The lowels Christmas market is pretty special though (only 2 years now or so) I can see this growing bigger and bigger each year.

I don't think it would take too much effort at this point for us to spread out street permits, and park permits to enough of Toronto's 72 BIAs and the numerous social, cultural and commercial organizations, to ensure there is some event location every weekend throughout the year.

Give the BIA's the opportunity to connect to these groups.

It's as simple as connecting groups who would take advantage of this opportunity with the BIA's that would host them.

One weekend they hold an ice carving festival in Wychwood Heights. Ask residents to participate if there is snow on the ground. Have snowman building competitions for residents. Invite food trucks, artists and crafts people. Maybe add a roaming farmers market to the mix.

On another weekend in Longbranch you have a hat festival. Invite hatmakers, sellers and crafters to sell their wares. Have a hat design competition. Silliest hat contests. Invite different food vendors to participate.

Next it could be the German community being hosted by Queen East. Let the community take care of the entertainment. Encourage the German community to get involved. Get the Consul involved.

I'm sure that some will be cancelled for bad weather. Some will will be wash outs for totally different reasons. I know but there is enough population in the region to support this.

These events could extend beyond the city borders into the suburbs. Port Credit, Thornhill Village, Old Main Unionville would be good canditates for winter fests outside the city.

What could be Toronto's big winter fest be themed on? Hmmm...Naked tobagganing at Earl Bales? It'd be a great spectator sport.

Back