News   Jul 22, 2024
 288     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 360     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

how are FM radio stations still making money

The Edge's format is more or less "new rock" so 70s punk doesn't really fit in. Still, they acknowledge punk's importance. Especially if you listen to the Ongoing History of New Music - 70s punk comes up all the time. They even did a six part series on the history of punk.

That isn't really enough though. And I find it hard to belief that average Edge listener would not like songs like "I Wanna Be Sedated" or "God Save the Queen," especially considering all the non-rock songs that are played on the station.

My issue with 102.1 is that the old stuff they play. Nirvana is NOT 'new' rock. It may have been new rock more than 10 years ago, but nowadays it's anachronistic. They don't have enough variety in my opinion.

It is the same kind of music. 80's rock might different, but rock music (alternative rock) since Nirvana has been very similar. Nirvana isn't new, but it's still "new rock."

If anything, I wish they play less new music. One of my main issues with 102.1 now is all the emo shit they play nowadays. I can't stand emo music, or emos.

The contemporary music that CBC Radio 2 plays at night - that thing hosted by Laurie Brown - is pretty good. CBC's Music and Company in the morning has a more varied classical playlist than 96.3 ... and they have a thrilling cage match every week! This week it's a guess-which-piano-piece-is-played-by-Glenn Gould, and last week it was a showdown between pirates ( G&S vs. Captain Blood ).

Well, if there ought to be a positive future for music on FM, it's in that sorta stuff. While the "popular" slumlords down en route to migrating away.

Sort of like how the future of storefront music retail is luxury/specialty rather than mass-market...

Not as long as the CRTC is in charge. Remember how long it took Flow to get a license for a hip hop station? Not that I'm a big fan of Flow's music, but governments should not be in charge of regulating cultural content on the airwaves. The "Canadian Content" rule is particularly ridiculous*

*ironically, Canada is an incubator of amazing musical talent that goes completely unrecognized on our airwaves despite that dogmatic rule. Haven't the guys at the Edge heard of the Polaris music prize?

I gave up on listening to most radio atleast 5 years ago. I set my alarm clock to wake up with CBC Radio One and I will occassionally flick it on at other times of day for cultural programming and documentaries etc.

As for mainstream radio, I find it panders way too much to this elusive "mainstream". Not just in the musical content but with the vapid and mindless hosts that recycle American trash info-tainment (Brittney and Paris et al.) They are just so fake and cheery it makes me want to vomit! Everything is a joke... its like watching CNN, where after they tell you about some hideous catastrophe they reel off corny little one liners, that somehow its funny and entertaining.

I listen exclusively to cd's in the car... whatever mood I'm in I know I will hear the exact tunes I want. When I sometimes forget my music of the cd player doesnt feel like working I prefer silence to what's on the radio...

What I like about radio is that someone else is making decisions for me about what music I'll hear next. I'm being entertained and sometimes amused.

Back