News   Apr 22, 2024
 818     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 693     0 

Homeowners face 4% tax hike

The problem I think is that folks are going to start feeling fee fatigue pretty soon, and that's being reflected in this anger over a tax increase. When the fees being charged and well over the value of whatever the service the fees are supposed to be paying for, it becomes obvious and citizens don't feel that they are getting value for their tax dollar.

This is a scenario that I really fear. Every time I go to the US I am reminded of it. Many Americans despise taxes because they perceive little value (in terms of service) from what they pay. They see little difference in their day-to-day lives. And some of you'll will come back saying, 'oh but they drive on the road, use the water network, etc.' Sure, but do they perceive value in the service that they are consuming for their tax dollar. If those fees keep going up, in addition to property taxes, people are going to end up electing another Mel Lastman.

There is a lot of merit to shifting tax burden away from property taxes. Things like water, snow removal, garbage, etc. should be done on a user-pay basis to encourage more sustainable practices. A lot of the social services and 'public goods' would be more fairly funded through personal income and sales taxes. To prevent beggar-thy-neighbour tax policy, though, rates should be agreed upon at a GTA-wide level.

It looks like without this years provincial surplus grant of $238 million plus the further reserve reduction of $40 million next years tax is going to go up by more than 10% before one extra penny is spent.

Back