News   Apr 22, 2024
 773     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 656     0 

Homeowners face 4% tax hike

Not the end of the world.

However, the city is going down deep in a chasm.

If the city did not give massive wage increases to the unions, the city could have had no hike and still have more then enough money to get the Hobo's on the streets, fix the potholes, a better TTC and give more incentives for Businesses to set up shop in Toronto.

Really the city should focus on things city's should do have always done. It is not the city's job telling people how to sneeze or telling how to be more energy efficient. It is not the city's job to run a zoo. That is the the job of the province and private enterprises...

Instead Miller should be focusing all that money on fixing infrastructure and helping the poor instead of trying to shift people's lifestyle and beahviour to suit his own messed up outdated political view.

Call me a crazy conservative... :confused:

I think I am just making common sense.

^
Absolutely. I want my city to worry about city issues only.

And these clowns still give themselves a raise each year!!
It's time for a change at City Hall!
Since taking the helm as mayor, David Miller has increased Toronto's property taxes by over 20%, not including this new increase by 4%. At what point will Miller finally say enough money is enough?

I would not mind if the city raised property taxes to fix infrastructure/ improve city services or hire more police officers but I know its mostly going to fund useless programs and help pay higher wages for their union supporters.

Sad fact, is most of you just sit around and thinks it all for the TTC and for the betterment of the city. :rolleyes:

The city needs to raise taxes more, as they are too low now. We also need fewer police officers.

We also need fewer police officers.

yes and will just increase taxes more and more and give out more welfare and handouts to poor people so they will not commit crimes...

got it... :p

Unfortunately, the city's reserve fund, created to be used in bad times, was used in the good times instead.

Too bad if they decide to sell the underused municipal buildings, that the price will now be lower. And who will buy them? Nobody.

Jesus...Christ....Have you read the comments people made on CTV Toronto's story. OMG, it's almost as bad as the neo-cons all over the Star's comment boards. Wow, what do you expect the city to do, money doesn't grow on trees. The 311 line clearly has no point, but the other highlights of the budget are fine. The last thing we need is cutting services, and the ABSOLUTE last thing we need is a city in $100's of millions in debt. Taxes will go up all over the place, what else can you do? No, it doesn't exactly help people in this struggling economy, but "the taxes killed the real estate mareket", and the "the vehicle registration taxes killed of car purchases" arguments are complete crap.

Since taking the helm as mayor, David Miller has increased Toronto's property taxes by over 20%, not including this new increase by 4%. At what point will Miller finally say enough money is enough?

The City of Toronto has experienced approximately 2% inflation annually since 2003. So in total, we've had about 12% increase in costs.

http://www.opseu.org/research/cpitable3b.htm

That leaves 8% that isn't inflationary, amounting to roughly 1% a year. Most of that is in the shift in tax burden from commercial to residential properties, as explained before.

I think it's fair to say "Miller&Co" has done quite well.

You CANNOT have no tax increase. As I stated before, it is because of such idiotic policies during the conservative Mel Lastman years that depleted our reserves that we finally used the last of this year.

Why can't people understand that conservatism does nothing but cater to the ... sorry to say it... idiotic. This is an ideology that is increasingly dependent on one line vote grabs that exploit the ignorance of the masses.

Example 1: Mel Lastman's "zero tax increase" promises that did nothing but screw us over now - when sustainable inflation-rate based tax increases would have been much better

Example 2: Stephen Harper's "cut the GST by 2%" that sucked billions out of Federal coffers right before when we needed it most (i.e., now), not to mention all his "tax credits" for various things that reduce budgetary revenue and don't achieve their objectives (i.e., Transit Pass Credit)

I can go on and on. There used to be good parts of fiscal conservatism, but sadly, it's been perverted by the politicians that supposedly represent it.

Last edited:
Yes, after reading comments on the Star / CityTV / CBC ... pick any news outlet you'd like (although, admittedly - there's a lot of variance between them) and you'll have yourself a good laugh ... or cry (as was my case) :)

Anyway,
give credit were credit is due ...
The city did cut back 100million in savings from a variety of sources, none of which included explicitly ending / closing programs. Although this number was suppose to be closer to 150 million.

We still have a large discrepancy with the commercial tax rate. Although the city is working on this it's just not fast enough.

As a result, you see the silly incentives their giving to specific projects i.e. Woodbine live for example along with the development charge freezes. Although these all work, it's just like throwing continuously a bandage on a cut that won't heel. Yes were taking steps to solve the issue but it might be too late / or enough damage will be dealt.

Issue # 2 ...
Social assistance! i.e. welfare.
Ontario is the only province in which cities still need to pay this / part of it from their own coffers. Not only that, although Toronto makes up only 20% of the pop we pay 40% of the Welfare in the province. Given the recession this is really eating away at the budget.

That leaves 8% that isn't inflationary, amounting to roughly 1% a year. Most of that is in the shift in tax burden from commercial to residential properties, as explained before.

explain how the Budget went from 6.5 billion to 8.7 billion in 6 years.

There is no logical answer!!! NONE!!!!

Only one wage increases, wage increases wage increases!!!! :mad:

Did the city of Toronto grow by 34%????

Its an increase of 6% per year, far higher then inflation and other factors.

Have the roads and transit gotten 34% better?? lol

I am saying you guys sit here and say whats 4% for a property tax hike. You think that because you honestly think the city is doing everything possible to fix our infrastructure. Give me a break....

The problem is you guys ignore the increases have mostly all gone to pet projects and increased overinflated wages.

Really if 2 billion dollars more were being spent on the city every year, we would have seen a huge difference. :D

I am not one of those guys that wants no taxes and I think the 2nd gst cut was idiotic. However clearly the money is going to waste and I cannot fathom how any of you sit idly by and cheer Miller on his stupid quest.

Last edited:
905 municipalities raise taxes by at least 5% each year while Toronto has held the increases to less than 4% each. So I think everyone should just calm down and shut the hell up.

They have a reason.

There cities are growing by leaps and bounds....

Back