News   Jul 22, 2024
 230     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 377     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 427     0 

Homelessness and Panhandling in Toronto

Could this murder lead to a police crackdown?

Everyone: Does anyone remember back in the late 70s the sad high-profile case of the shoeshine boy murder on the Yonge Street strip? I remember reading about the case and also seeing an exhibit at the Toronto Police Museum on College Street about this case-the boy was 13 or 14 years old and was found atop a building on Yonge-this caused a crackdown on Yonge Street's seamy underside-I cannot help but wonder if this panhandler murder will spur a similar crackdown on the homeless today by TPD-like I mentioned I have sympathy and I am all for helping the truly down and out-but these aggressive substance abusers should be dealt with a tough attitude-they are potentially dangerous-like the four young people that were arrested. In this case only time will tell if TPD takes a tough stance on the homeless-but it will probably be to the detriment of the truly needy! Lets see how all this turns out! LI MIKE

its all a matter of experience.

You may love panhandlers and your heart may bleed for them, but will they once they threaten or even attack you.

In downtown i was verbally assaulted by panhandlers in Chinatown and chased by one in Ottawa.

From that point, i knew these people aren't society's disadvantaged people, but a group of aggressive bums who really don't deserved to be help. Due to these people, we cannot help the real homeless, so this problem cannot be solved.

Get out of your idealist dreams and wake up and see what really happens around you...

From that point, i knew these people aren't society's disadvantaged people, but a group of aggressive bums who really don't deserved to be help. Due to these people, we cannot help the real homeless, so this problem cannot be solved.

This is what you think of all people who panhandle?

Maybe you need some therapy to help you get over the trauma of your "incidents" with street people?

So I was driving on Eglinton today and I pulled up to the Don Mils intersection. I noticed 2 men on both sides of the roads standing in the middle dividers, holding up signs and asking for money. I was shocked...I have never seen Toronto beggers in such a suburban location. Is this is a regular occurance in the area, or was this just a one time thing?

So I was driving on Eglinton today and I pulled up to the Don Mils intersection. I noticed 2 men on both sides of the roads standing in the middle dividers, holding up signs and asking for money. I was shocked...I have never seen Toronto beggers in such a suburban location. Is this is a regular occurance in the area, or was this just a one time thing?

it's regular. i see more homeless people in york & north york than i have seen downtown.

This is what you think of all people who panhandle?

i am talking about the ones who attack innocent people...

I am talking about the young able bodied ones who harass the public because they choose not to work.

I am talking about the ones who murdered a man in the streets over a few bucks.

I am not talking about the ones who need it to survive day to day...

I am not talking about the ones who are mentally and physical incapable of providing for themselves.

You know what and of whom i speak and i have not gone on a hateful rant against poor people.

You know its a problem, stop ignoring it...

They're all over the city, all the time. They're more visible and not easily ignored in the suburbs, unlike downtown, where they're expected, part of the gritty big city landscape, etc.

The Salvation Army refused to help the same sex partners of people killed on 9/11 because they are unable to be legal next of kin. The Salvation Army also lobbied the Bush Administration to continue to allow them to discriminate in their hiring practices. Again no gays allowed.

So they may do some good, they also do great harm.

If that's the case, then they are on par with the outright homophobia of Canadian Blood Services, who refuse donations from any gay man, irrespective of whether they have AIDS or not.

Top court decision means anti-squeegee law stands
CP

August 24, 2007

Ottawa -- The Supreme Court of Canada won't review an Ontario law designed to rid the streets of so-called squeegee kids and outlaw aggressive panhandling.

In a decision released without comment, the court denied leave to appeal to 11 homeless men convicted under the Safe Streets Act for offering to wash car windshields for money.

Lawyers for the men had challenged the legislation on constitutional grounds, claiming it violated their rights to freedom of expression, fundamental justice and equal treatment before the law.

Both a trial judge and the provincial appeal court agreed the law did indeed infringe on individual liberties - but they said the infringement was justified in the interests of public safety.

The refusal to intervene by the Supreme Court means the law stands.

The legislation was brought in by Mike Harris's former Conservative provincial government as part of a package of law-and-order measures.

It was sponsored by Jim Flaherty, then attorney-general, now Finance Minister in Stephen Harper's federal Tory government.

If that's the case, then they are on par with the outright homophobia of Canadian Blood Services, who refuse donations from any gay man, irrespective of whether they have AIDS or not.

I haven't given blood for a while but I don't remember gay men automatically being excluded. I thought they asked if you've had sex with a man recently. There's a difference.

No, they ask if you have had sex with a man since 1977 (or thereabouts). If you anser yes you are automatically disqualified, which makes this automatically discriminatory to gay people. They don't take into consideration whether you are HIV-negative, just that you are gay.

Back