News   Oct 02, 2024
 70     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 297     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 406     0 

Highway 407 Revenue

well I don't really mind tolls if they are like the US style Tolls, however the 407 was one of the stupidest deals ever signed....

Buying land for highways...

Probably $100 million to buy the land. Either way, that's what you get when you use Wikipedia:D

I checked with MTO on Wikipedia's reported $100 billion price tag, (which was apparently taken from a quote in Hansard). Here's what MTO said:

1. How much did the government spend on land for the 407, prior to its sale in '99?

* Claims of $100B in property costs are unsupported - and we agree that the number is too high.
* The province initiated the process of protection and acquisition of lands for Highway 407 in the 1950's
* Determination of the actual property acquisition costs would require an examination of MBS and MTO historical records over the past 50 years - unfortunately, such an undertaking would require enormous staff resources.

2. What about the other numbers mentioned in wikipedia entry--$1.6B cost to build--$104-107B total taxpayer investment--are they accurate?

* The central section (68.2 km from Hwy 403 to Markham Rd.) was built for $945 million in 1998.
* Electronic Tolling Technology cost about $90 million.
* The west extension and the east partial extension were built for $507 million in 2001.
* Therefore the total cost to construct Hwy 407 was approximately $1.6 billion.

Wikipedia is not to be trusted as a reliable source on anything, especially Ontario highways. Having said that, 407 ETR is built like a more "quick and dirty" route than anything, but it does it extremely well. The jersey barriers used in the north Toronto part are there because of the rapid expansion that takes place. It's easier and far cheaper to push jerseys over than to demolish Tall Wall every time you want to add a lane.

Okay, I will rephrase that- not huge profits, but profits nonetheless. And as junctionist points out, they are making more money for doing less, while continually raising tolls on the highway. Eventually, people may stop using it due to the ever rising cost and the group of investors will probably try to sell it back to the government- naturally recouping their initial cost and probably making a nifty profit. Not to mention, it is no longer as fast as it once was- their are traffic jams which snarl the 407 now too.
Raising the tolls is a key facet of supply and demand. If you raise the price, less people will use it, and the traffic lessens.
Also, wasn't it to be like 20 years of tolls and then the highway would become just another 400 series highway - no tolls etc.?

p5

That is true.

Show me a highway, free or not, full of potholes in the GTA.

Why just the GTA? Ontario maintains the entire province's worth of highways.

Hwy 427 is a good GTA example though. Hwy 402 in Petrolia had several vintage 1982 pavement sections that are only now getting replaced. Hwy 401 east and west of Tilbury has faultlines from the concrete underneath poking through that make for an irritating ride.

It's too bad that concrete isn't used more often on roads, as it's more durable and requires less maintenance.

Concrete is found underneath much of the asphalt you drive on. It was paved over because it was easier to do that than to repair the cracks. The 401 through Toronto is mostly concrete. Technology has improved and concrete is making a comeback though, like at 401 in Tilbury, 407 between Mississauga and Markham, etc. It remains to be seen what they use in St. Catharines when it gets rebuilt... I'd like to see it go back to concrete like it was 70 years ago!

I've just driven home from Kitchener along the 401 to Trafalgar Road, then south to the QEW and then to the Gardiner. The left lane on the east bound 401 was awful, with chucks of surface concrete missing, especially where the lines are painted and where the shoulder meets the lanes. Then when I got on the east bound QEW there was a near tiring ripping pot hole under the bridge of the 427. Through the entire drive I noted large cracks, pot holes and missing surfacing material on the highways, resulting in a bumpy, rough ride. Sure, they can blame it on the freeze-thaw cycle, but you don't see this on the 407, which is like driving on glass by comparison. Ontario's private-for-profit highway is certainly the best surface around. Honestly Ed, do you drive at all on the 400 series highways much?

Don't even get me started about the rural highways in Ontario, as some look like they're been to war, with mashed up, broken surfaces, with patched and vastly uneven tarmac. I've driven from Toronto to points north, such as Cochrane, Thunder Bay and the Soo, and those roads are a national embarrassment. Now, to be fair, Ontario's rural highways are MUCH better than New Brunswick's, but Ed wanted to know about potholes, so here you are.

You're spot on with the 407 comment. Also the Middle Road part of QEW (Mississauga/Oakville) isn't in the greatest shape, but Oakville is going to be upgraded soon. We already lost the Fourth Line bridge and next up is the Bronte Service Road bridge. After that it's hopefully smooth sailing to link up those new spans on the QEW!

Remember also that Harris downloaded a lot of services, including provincial routes to the lower governments in 1997/1998. Sometimes the municipalities themselves are to blame (Hamilton).

well I don't really mind tolls if they are like the US style Tolls, however the 407 was one of the stupidest deals ever signed....
It's a great business and I'm glad to be a customer of theirs. :)

US style tolls are horrible, you mean a mix of EZ-Pass and coin?

Show me a highway, free or not, full of potholes in the GTA.
Ed, I've got to ask you again, do you even drive on the highways in the GTA? I almost had a wheel torn off on a foot deep pothole on the 401 outside of Milton this morning. The entire 400 series highway system is covered in potholes, well, except for the 407 somehow.

Staggering Number Of Potholes Keep City Workers Busy
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_19755.aspx

I just drove the 401 yesterday, and it is indeed filled with potholes. They're all very new, though, so they've probably been caused by the hard winter. They should be fixed pretty soon, I'd imagine.

Back