1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 624     0 

Heritage Toronto Mondays

Re: Victoria College (1895):

Victoria_College_circa_1895.jpg

Victoria College's annual book sale opens on Thursday at 4 p.m.

Storm's masterpiece, I think, and one of the few examples of the Husky Boy architectural style that I can stomach. If only he had lived a century earlier, running loose in the land of the Neo Classical design vocabulary.

Storm's masterpiece, I think, and one of the few examples of the Husky Boy architectural style that I can stomach. If only he had lived a century earlier, running loose in the land of the Neo Classical design vocabulary.

My dear doyenne: Do you really think that Neo-classicism was immune to "Husky Boy-ism"?

vienna53.jpg

I always found it a little overly "spiky" by Richardsonian standards--definitely a High Victorian sensibility trying to get hep with the times...

Romanesque revival almost always seems cluttered, awkward and lumpy to me- rarely graceful or stately.

The original Romaneque was known more for being "solid" or "substantial". Graceful and stately are not terms I'd associate with Romanesque--even the better Romanesque cathedrals impress more through their mass than their grace. My main beef with a lot of Romanesque revival is that it lacks a certain balance or symmetry.

What's nice about Victoria College ( and I count it as my main local architectural "guilty pleasure" ... ) is how balanced the exterior looks, given that it is asymmetrical and non-Classically inspired. Also, it is small enough for the pedestrian to circumnavigate without that viewer losing a sense of the entirety of the building, unlike major Husky Boy piles such as the Provincial Legislature, University College or even Lennox's City Hall. And it's a hidden gem, too, tucked in behind later buildings and with enough green space around it to create a sort of visual release from those neighbours. There's conflict, too - the exterior Husky Boy massing of interlocking forms suggests a complex interior that doesn't actually exist; go inside and the door surrounds and windows above them aren't Victorian but Classically inspired, there's a generous east/west oriented main floor central hall ( the same plan's repeated on the two floors above ) with rooms leading off of this central spine on the north and south sides of the building, and it's not at all the warren you're set up to expect.

What's nice about Victoria College ( and I count it as my main local architectural "guilty pleasure" ... ) is how balanced the exterior looks, given that it is asymmetrical and non-Classically inspired. Also, it is small enough for the pedestrian to circumnavigate without that viewer losing a sense of the entirety of the building, unlike major Husky Boy piles such as the Provincial Legislature, University College or even Lennox's City Hall. And it's a hidden gem, too, tucked in behind later buildings and with enough green space around it to create a sort of visual release from those neighbours. There's conflict, too - the exterior Husky Boy massing of interlocking forms suggests a complex interior that doesn't actually exist; go inside and the door surrounds and windows above them aren't Victorian but Classically inspired, there's a generous east/west oriented main floor central hall ( the same plan's repeated on the two floors above ) with rooms leading off of this central spine on the north and south sides of the building, and it's not at all the warren you're set up to expect.

You raise an interesting point with regards to interiors, U.S. Isn't the reality for most of these 19th century buildings is that whether they are wearing Romaneque-Revival/Pre-Raphaelite/Ruskin ball-gowns or Neo-Classical/Palladian/Jane Austen empire-waisted shifts, the interiors are usually (dare we say) Beaux-Arts, with clear circulation patterns, symmetry and "servant" and "served" spaces? None of these institutional buildings, including the Old City Hall, the Provincial Legislature or University College have "complex" interiors. Perhaps that is why the best of the Victorians, like Cumberland, Storm and Lennox could move so effortlessly back and forth between styles: the plan never really changed.

University College, perhaps the building in which one would expect the most flamboyant Hogwartsian interior, is suprising tame in plan, while its exterior implies Castle of Udolpho mysteries which don't exist. However, Cumberland and Storm are sophisticated enough to create the required Romantic atmosphere within this plan by way of towers and turrets implying "secret" rooms, connections to the outdoors by way of walkways and cloisters, along with elaborate decoration, lighting, volumes and materials.

From: http://www.fineart.utoronto.ca/canarch/ontario/toronto/uc.html

UCWalker.jpg

birdeye2uc.jpg

floorplanuc.jpg

ucww-overall-1.jpg

uccon-hall.jpg
ucdwg23-deta.jpg

uccloister.jpg
stairwell-det.jpg

mawtiles.jpg

uc.jpg

uc2.jpg

Last edited:
There's an interesting floor plan contrast, shown in the Lyle book published a couple of years ago, between the house he designed for himself and the house one of the other local architects ( Guinlock, I think ... ) designed for himself about the same time. Lyle's rooms are few and simple, whereas the other architect has all sorts of odd little spaces that seem to be the result of fitting rooms into an eccentric exterior.

Back