News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 897     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

Details on the Rees and Simcoe Slip + Spadina bridge, from the June 12 WT Board Meeting:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//4856731e283a3.pdf
(p. 8-12 of PDF)

AoD
simcoe slip looks crazy!

i'm a bit confused about the bridges though. it seems that they are also going to be building bridges further in front of the head of slip structures? so in the case of the simcoe bridge, i'm guessing that they will be taking down the white steel bridge that is already there?

Wow.. looks like the Spadina slip deck is the most tame of them all.

The Simcoe slip deck is nuts! Look at those jagged edges! Can't wait.

The Yonge deck description talks about a possible public market at the foot of Yonge.

Regarding the bridges: even more WOW! Some pretty unique stuff going on there with the Rees bridge. As for the Simcoe bridge, I'm also assuming they're taking down the metal white bridge that's there currently. What's more, they're building a lift bridge in the shape of a Maple Leaf. That should be quite interesting.

Metro:

I don't think they are going to tear down Amsterdam Bridge - all the new bridges under the scheme aligns along the shore - the former is in the middle of the slip.

AoD

WOW! This is turning out to be better than I realized. All those bridges and public art is awesome. And that pavillion. Very nice!

The Amsterdam bridge being torn down to make way for a plan by a Rotterdam-based company? Hmm: is there a little Netherland civic rivalry at work here?

Well, they should tear it down if only to get rid of the tacky lights shaped like a boat on it. Buh-bye.

Couldn't agree more! At night, the lights give what is actually quite a nice bridge the air of something from an expensive, high-tech, glow-in-the-dark paintball parlor. Tacky!

Perhaps I'll go down there and remove them myself...:cool:

Looking at that pdf, I wonder what happened to the proposed giant insect legs that were to wave around in the air -- were they not selected? If so, too bad, I think that it would be the have been the most interesting of the public art proposals.

Looking at that pdf, I wonder what happened to the proposed giant insect legs that were to wave around in the air -- were they not selected? If so, too bad, I think that it would be the have been the most interesting of the public art proposals.
That was in West 8's design which did not win the competition for the Jarvis Slip park. Claude Cormier's Sugar Beach idea won.

can anyone else see skateboarders tearing apart those raised portions?

Oh no! The scary skateboarders strike again!

There is not much to worry about since the real problem is not the skateboarders themselves, it's the lack of provided facilities. While I would never advocate an American-style solution where the construction of a single skatepark is enough to ban skateboarding on city streets altogether. I do believe that Toronto would never tumble down such an insipid path but the glaring lack of any sort of skateparks (and other such facilities) in any official plan.

Yet another reason I will never live in the US.

June 22, 2008

Looking great.

js3.jpg

js4.jpg

js2.jpg

js1.jpg

js5.jpg

Back