News   Jul 09, 2024
 687     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 591     0 

Hazel McCallion on Hot Seat

I find it highly unlikely that the minutes support Hazel's lie by accidently. More likely Hazel has the clerk under her wrinkled thumb.

BTW, I think it is hilarious that even her supporters refer to her as a "witch."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/707864--hands-off-queen-of-mississauga

Hands off Queen of Mississauga

By Christopher Hume Urban Issues, Architecture
Published On Fri Oct 09 2009

In some cities, people can't wait for their mayor to go; in Mississauga, they hope she will never leave.

This was made clear yet again by the outpouring of outrage occasioned by recent Star stories and photographs of Hazel McCallion. They don't call the Mayor of Mississauga Her Worship for nothing.

As one irate Mississaugan put it, without a hint of irony, "God bless Hazel, she is the Queen of Mississauga." As tempting as it may be to laugh off such feelings, there's something about them that won't be so easily dismissed.

Obviously, McCallion's popularity has little to do with politics; after all, the city she has led since 1978 remains a showcase of urban sprawl, in this case organized around a shopping centre that dates from a more innocent age.

Mississauga's "city centre," built well after the mall, represents a well-intentioned attempt to add a layer of urbanity to this discontinuous and disconnected landscape.

Despite the architectural excellence of some of the civic buildings, especially Mississauga City Hall (which most Mississaugans apparently dislike), they do not add up to a city. And for all the talk about sustainable growth, public transit and 21st-century densities, Mississauga remains a textbook example of what Metro Toronto's first chair, Frederick Gardiner, once called "multiplication by subdivision."

Given this, it may be that the secret of McCallion's enduring electoral success bears no relationship to what Mississauga is or isn't. Instead, she has become the personification of a community that otherwise would not exist except on paper, that wouldn't know itself except as a series of postal codes.

She is the thread that holds it together, that provides Mississauga with its history and its meaning, that makes it more than the sum of its parts. She has become quite literally the face of Mississauga. That could be why so many Mississaugans were so upset when the Star ran a wrinkles-and-all portrait of the 88-year-old McCallion on a section's front page last weekend.

Ultimately, the question of McCallion's significance should be left to psychologists rather than political scientists. Perhaps Mississauga can best be understood as a community that has become overly identified with its mayor, a classic parental figure.

With so much invested in one individual, it's not surprising that Mississaugans have come to consider McCallion the Queen of Mississauga. That might explain why only one in four Mississaugans vote in municipal elections: a queen doesn't need to be elected, a queen holds her position and power by virtue of who she is. And a queen holds that position for life.

When McCallion announced recently that she would seek a 13th term next year, she was in effect reassuring Mississaugans that her reign would continue; they need not worry about issues of abdication or succession just yet.

When it comes to pass, as it must, that McCallion can no longer wear that crown, residents will finally have to take back the responsibilities they long ago ceded to her. It won't be a happy day in Mississauga. Après Hazel, le déluge.

Interesting point.

People in Mississauga love Hazel as she is the only thing special or unique about that city.

Wow... Hume is flopping like a fish out of water. One day its 'Hazel needs to go!' the next its 'Leave Hazel alone!'

Let me lament once more the sorry state of the Mississauga News.

It really doesn't help that there's no real media presence out here to keep Hazel honest. What we've got is not much better than a Pennysaver -- for a city this size, it's just embarrassing.

bwahahaha

People in Mississauga love Hazel as she is the only thing special or unique about that city.

Well, how many mayors do you know have two right hands?

thebloodystar.jpg

The "original" uncropped "photo" can still be found here:

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/150947--mayor-at-meetings-about-son-s-project

Okay, so first Hazel was called out on her lie about declaring a conflict of interest. Then it was revealed that the city clerk has fabricated the minutes about her declaring a conflict of interest. And now people are pointing out the Toronto Star's doctoring of photos in their reporting of these news. Crazy...

What is point of this I wonder? Obviously, someone else was sitting beside him in the original photo, and Hazel was photoshopped in. What is the Toronto Star's agenda? My guess is that they wanted to make her and her son look really close so that the conflict of interest seemed more plausible. Sneaky...

Last edited:
The tone of Christopher Hume's Article from Oct 5 was right on the money. I could never figure why there is always (until recently) such a media love-fest with this lady. Sure, she's 88 years old and still a working mayor, but well...she's 88 years old and still a working mayor?.
Missausauga is a dump. I've only been through it a few times and avoid the place like the plague. It's a soul destroying, ugly and depressing place. Am I making my point? Mississauga is, like Hume states in his article, "a poster community of how not to build a city". Thanks Hazel, job well done.

Last edited:
The "original" uncropped "photo" can still be found here:

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/150947--mayor-at-meetings-about-son-s-project

Okay, so first Hazel was called out on her lie about declaring a conflict of interest. Then it was revealed that the city clerk has fabricated the minutes about her declaring a conflict of interest. And now people are pointing out the Toronto Star's doctoring of photos in their reporting of these news. Crazy...

What is point of this I wonder? Obviously, someone else was sitting beside him in the original photo, and Hazel was photoshopped in. What is the Toronto Star's agenda? My guess is that they wanted to make her and her son look really close so that the conflict of interest seemed more plausible. Sneaky...

Isn't it possible that's the hand of someone behind them that was edited out for legal reasons?

No it is not possible. They are sitting down on a sofa. Who could be behind them? The only possible explanation (besides Photoshop) was that person was sittingto the left of Hazel and was cropped from the photo and had long enough reach to reach past Hazel and put his hand on the opposite shoulder of Peter McCallion. Either way it is bizarre.

Back