353     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 276     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 304     0 

Harry Stinson is not dead

Article re Hotel Niagara, Niagara Falls, NY:
http://buffalorising.com/2014/08/falls-landmark-rebirth-on-the-horizon/

Redevelopment hopes seemed bleak for several years before Harry Stinson, an energized developer from Hamilton, Ontario acquired it in 2011 giving it a new lease on life.

I stumbled across this. No surprise here.....:rolleyes:
Letter of Intent Signed to Purchase Historic Hotel Niagara http://buffalorising.com/2015/05/letter-of-intent-signed-to-purchase-historic-hotel-niagara/

A letter of intent has been signed between Canadian developer Harry Stinson and Matthew Shollar of Reception Hotel & Resorts for the iconic Hotel Niagara that has sat vacant in the heart of Downtown Niagara Falls for several years.

Harry Stinson has struggled to attain financing for his vision of restoring the Hotel Niagara back to its 1920s glory as an independent destination hotel. If a deal is struck, Shollar and his partners intend on pursuing a Raddison flag or comparable flag for the hotel redevelopment. It is estimated that the total project cost will be $27 million with much of it being earmarked for interior restoration and renovation. No longer in the plans as previously reported are dorms to house Niagara County Community College students who are currently staying at the Quality Inn and Suites under a temporary arrangement.

The redevelopment of the Hotel Niagara has proved to be a difficult task as it has changed hands several times over the last 5 years. Maybe the wait is finally over?

His style for the Adam's Mark doesn't match the building whatsoever. It reminds me of what has been done to Toronto's Sheraton Centre, but being Stinson, this will probably be worse. He here is on Buffalo's WIVB-TV...

Buffalo Grand Hotel owner shifts plans as Wright chapel gains approval

Harry Stinson has lowered his sights on his Buffalo Grand Hotel, though he's still keen on the project.

The Canadian developer – who bought the former Adam's Mark Hotel a year ago – still wants his $30 million transformation to raise the bar on the quality and service of the city's largest hotel.

But after spending the past year getting to know both the hotel and the Buffalo marketplace, he now admits that he may have been aiming a little too high.

"I think I had a different impression upfront," he said. "I was thinking more in terms of a four-star, like we'll make this into the Plaza Hotel of Buffalo. In hindsight, I think that was probably a misplaced destination."

Now, he said, he sees it as what it's been – a large, midrange hospitality facility, in a city with an abundance of small hotels, where rates are typically $100 to $200 per night.

Still, that plays right into his latest investment. On Monday, Stinson received approval from the Buffalo Planning Board to construct a wedding chapel addition to the Buffalo Grand, based on a 1957 design by Frank Lloyd Wright for a hotel in California.

That follows receipt of variances from the Zoning Board of Appeals.

The Wright design – which was never built for the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley – features an elevated, round, glass-enclosed wedding chapel of about 30 feet in diameter, perched on stilts one story above a ground-level garden.

The freestanding addition would be constructed as an extension that juts out from a balcony on the brick portion of the Buffalo Grand, along the wing that extends toward the Skyway from the main concrete building.

Meanwhile, the developer is continuing his renovation of the 39-year-old hotel, which opened in 1980 as a Hilton. His plan is to restore the hotel – with 486 rooms, 72,000-square-feet of meeting space, a 600-seat restaurant and more than 500 parking spaces – with a significant focus on conventions, events and hospitality.

He's bringing a 300-seat comedy club to the hotel, to be operated by Toronto-based Yuk Yuk's International Stand Up Comedy Clubs Inc., with three nights of comedy on the weekends and a mixture of music, movie nights or other events on other days. That's slated to open in September.

That... thing... needs a giant sapphire coloured ball on top of it, IMO

Buffalo Grand Hotel owner shifts plans as Wright chapel gains approval

But after spending the past year getting to know both the hotel and the Buffalo marketplace, he now admits that he may have been aiming a little too high.

"I think I had a different impression upfront," he said. "I was thinking more in terms of a four-star, like we'll make this into the Plaza Hotel of Buffalo. In hindsight, I think that was probably a misplaced destination."

Well duh... it's Buffalo Harry, :rolleyes: It's like he's living in 1980, where people stay in these large scale luxury hotels. Those days are long gone, High-end hotels are smaller and built in mixed-use developments, like the Buffalo Marriott and Westin.

Stinson’s Wonder Bread Vision

Canadian developer Harry Stinson, is looking to get a second major development project off the ground in Buffalo. After taking a swing at the Central Terminal, and rebounding to tackle the former Adam’s Mark (now Buffalo Grand Hotel), Stinson has now set his eyes upon the Wonder Bread factory building.

Wonder-Bread-Buffalo-NY-8.jpg

Stinson plans to turn Wonder Bread factory into apartments

By Jonathan D. Epstein
Published November 15, 2019

If he wasn't busy enough with rehabbing downtown's Buffalo Grand Hotel, now Canadian developer Harry Stinson wants to spend his dough redeveloping the old Wonder Bread Factory on the city's East Side.

Stinson, the Hamilton-based developer who owns the former Adam's Mark Hotel, is buying the vacant Fougeron Street factory that once produced the legendary bread with the idea to turn it into 500 apartments, stores and commercial space.

That's a major gamble on a neighborhood that hasn't seen much risk-taking in years. But he's planning to bring it back to life in a big way, with a host of apartments occupying the upper floors, as well as ground-floor retail space and underground parking. And he intends to construct a second matching building on the rest of the site, giving it the scale he says it needs.

Back