News   Mar 28, 2024
 368     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 365     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 713     0 

Harper Eliminates Funding for Big Science

... and a kinesiologist, but hey, what do they know?

So you're prepared to ignore the fact that he doesn’t accept evolution or the scientific method (by being a chiropractor) because he studied kinesiology?

Come clean and admit that you're only going to bat for him because you know him.

So you're prepared to ignore the fact that he doesn’t accept evolution or the scientific method (by being a chiropractor) because he studied kinesiology

From Hansard, March 23, 2009
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublica...Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=40&Ses=2&DocId=3761424

The Hon. Gary Goodyear (Minister of State (Science and Technology), CPC):
Mr. Speaker, I accept the opportunity to clarify, because I know the member has difficulty reading.

I do in fact believe in evolution, full stop, but what is important is what this government is doing for our science and tech community. We just surpassed the $10 billion per year mark for our scientists.

This year alone, we put $5.1 billion into our science and tech community, and that member and his party voted against every bit of it.

Come clean and admit that you're only going to bat for him because you know him.

It's not like we play squash together. I'm a government relations consultant, the nature of my job requires me to interface with parliamentarians on all sides of the House and the Senate as well as with senior mandarins. So your point is because I've met with the S&T Minister on client business, and spoken with him at social functions on the Hill means that my ability to objectively gauge a person's intelligence is somehow biased? Don't answer, I'm sure I can telegraph your response.

From Hansard, March 23, 2009
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublica...Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=40&Ses=2&DocId=3761424

The Hon. Gary Goodyear (Minister of State (Science and Technology), CPC):
Mr. Speaker, I accept the opportunity to clarify, because I know the member has difficulty reading.

I do in fact believe in evolution, full stop, but what is important is what this government is doing for our science and tech community. We just surpassed the $10 billion per year mark for our scientists.

ya, and i believe in god.

goodyear:

“We are evolving every year, every decade,†Mr. Goodyear said on the television program. “That's a fact, whether it is to the intensity of the sun, whether it is to, as a chiropractor, walking on cement versus anything else, whether it is running shoes or high heels – of course we are evolving to our environment.â€

Would you mind telling us more about the non-capital aspects of the government's R&D spending program, and furthermore, how competitive is our program in this regard in comparison to other nations and their R&D focus?

That would be quite a term paper. But, why would you separate capital asset funding from the equation, that is just as important as funding for direct costs of research. Another category of R&D that the Federal government funds are the indirect costs research, these are activities associated with research, such as administration; money is funneled to offset indirect costs of research through a program run by SSHRC on behalf of all Tri-Council organizations and of course funded by the federal government.

Aside from direct funding through the tri-councils, CFI, NRC and other programs, and offsetting indirect costs, the federal government also provides tax incentives for private research through the SR&ED tax credit. The program could be modified to ensure full refundability for companies that are investing in R&D at levels that exceed their general revenues. Nevertheless the nominal tax rate for the SR&ED credit to incent private sector R&D (which is by far the largest sectoral investor in Canada) is among the most lucrative in the world.

Looking at the R&D matrix in Canada thoroughly also means considering investment committed by the provinces and private enterprise. It's all part of the mix.

I do in fact believe in evolution, full stop,

He prefaced an explanation of "lifestyle adaptation" by stating that he did, in fact, believe in evolution. Why would he do that? Why did he avoid the question the first time?

I don't believe for a second that he doesn't know what evolution is, so he must be obfuscating.

So your point is because I've met with the S&T Minister on client business, and spoken with him at social functions on the Hill means that my ability to objectively gauge a person's intelligence is somehow biased? Don't answer, I'm sure I can telegraph your response.

I never mentionned intelligence. I'm challenging your assertion that Goodyear is a science guy, a trait which you claimed to have guaged through your professional and social contact with him. What the heck did he say to you that is making you overlook his denials of fundamental scientific theory and method?

Furthermore, I'll question his competence, because his handling of this whole affair has been embarassing. Would you agree?

Last edited:
ungodlycrosscheck:

Of course it is - but what I am really curious about is whether beyond the major capital asset funding whether the human resources side is being covered. Renewing buildings may be all well and good - and universities would welcome it because of the noted repair backlog - but it doesn't equate to operational funding or stablity in funding for existing programs. To lump it all together to make the claim of it being a sound science/research policy is a bit simplisitic. The devil, as they say, are always in the details.

AoD

Is the federal government funding the elevators? No.
Is the money coming from the school's own operations and maintenance budget? You tell me.

I'd have to talk to him again, but he was implying that it was federal money that could technically be called "reseach spending" because of how it was allocated.

AoD, the short answer is that funding for research has in fact been enriched. As I've written the $145 million in savings from the Tri-Council budgets have been directed for other research, some of it for deferred maintenance some direct research pertaining to the Arctic--a key area of interest for the Prime Minister and Cabinet.

Anyway you asked about the Human Resources side, and I don't want to dismiss it. Aside from the Tri-Councils the federal goverment also funds Canada Research Chairs. The CRC invests $300 million a year to attract and retain faculty including some of the world's most accomplished and promising minds--I believe it was funding through CRC that attracted Stephen Hawking to the Perimeter Institute... I could be corrected on this.

Also on the HR side, there is the Networks Centre for Excellence (NCE) who's mandate is to mobilize research and commercialization to build a healthier, more competitive and more prosperous Canada. (From hereon I'm cutting and pasting inelegantly from a client note, I've stripped the passage of client specific information but hopefully still retained the meaty bits)

To manage this goal, the NCE Secretariat runs four national models:
1. Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE)
There are currently 18 NCE’s in Canada focusing on four priority areas: advanced technology, engineering and manufacturing; health, human development and biotechnology; and environment and natural resources.

In 2009 a competition, with a closing date of March 2 and with a target budget of $75M over five years, called for submissions to support three to four new networks. These networks will be eligible to receive funding for up to two five-year terms for a total of 10 years. Networks funded for the full 10 years, could be eligible for a third (and final) term.

2. Centres of Commercialization and Research (CECRs)
Budget 2007 set aside $195 million over the next two years to create world-class centres to advance research and facilitate commercialization of technologies, products and services in the priority areas of: health; information and communications technology, and environment, energy and natural resources.

3. Business-Led Networks of Centres of Excellence (BL-NCEs)
Led and managed by not-for-profit consortia representing the private sector, the new BL-NCEs will enhance private sector innovation, deliver benefits to Canadians and encourage an Entrepreneurial Advantage in five priority areas:
• Environmental science and technologies
• Natural resources and energy
• Health and related life sciences and technologies
• Information and communications technologies
• Management, business or finance
The first (letters of intent) phase of the competition has been completed, with an expected five winning projects to be announced in 2009. In total $46M is available for the 2009 Competition ($11M in 2008-2009) with funding spread over four years.

4. Industrial Research and Development Internship Program (IRDI)
Announced in Budget 2007, IRDI introduces graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to practical business problems and provides them with the opportunity to apply their expertise to address the needs of participating businesses. Businesses are required businesses to provide matching funds.

I'd have to talk to him again, but he was implying that it was federal money that could technically be called "reseach spending" because of how it was allocated.

As I wrote, it isn't federal dollars. The deferred maintenance program has not received applications for funding because the program parameters have not yet been published and won't be until April 1 at the earliest. The federal government does not have currently have a deferred maintenance program under the umbrella of R&D spending.

Evolution classes optional under proposed Alberta law

A controversial Alberta bill will enshrine into law the rights of parents to pull their children out of classes discussing the topics of evolution and homosexuality.

The new rules, which would require schools to notify parents in advance of "subject-matter that deals explicitly with religion, sexuality or sexual orientation," is buried in a bill that extends human rights to homosexuals. Parents can ask for their child to be excluded from the discussion.

"This government supports a very, very fundamental right and that is parental rights with respect to education," said Premier Ed Stelmach.

Although Stelmach has confirmed the bill will give parents the authority to exclude their kids from classes if the topic of evolution comes up, Education Minister Dave Hancock said it won't change anything.

"With respect to values, religion and sex education have always been areas of concern for parents, and they've always been areas parents have had the right to be notified about and to exempt their students from," Hancock said.
Debate over Alberta's international image

Frank Bruseker, the head of the Alberta Teachers' Association, is meeting with Hancock on Monday to raise his concerns.

"If parents don't want that kind of education for their children they have a couple of options," Bruseker said. "One would be home schooling or private school. So for a public school to start excluding based on religious preference, I think is a mistake."

'All they've done is make Alberta look like Northumberland and sound like Arkansas.'— Brian Mason, Alberta NDP leader

Bruseker said it would be difficult for teachers to avoid the topic of evolution in science or geography classes.

The proposed legislation has touched off a debate about just what kind of image Alberta's government is trying to create around the world.

NDP Leader Brian Mason likened the bill to Alberta recently using a photo of a British beach in an ad to promote the province.

"This government just spent $25 million of taxpayers money to give Alberta a new image. All they've done is make Alberta look like Northumberland and sound like Arkansas," Mason said.

The new legislation could be passed within a few weeks.

Here's strike two, though it's at a provincial level this time. Honestly, provincial stereotypes aside, I never expected us to have our own Kansas (or Texas).

"This government supports a very, very fundamental right and that is parental rights with respect to education," said Premier Ed Stelmach.

double speak?

p.s, the devil chose to bury all those dinosaur bones in the tar sands because he anticipated he'd might have to put up a fight in that province. ;)

Evolution classes optional under proposed Alberta law

Here's strike two, though it's at a provincial level this time. Honestly, provincial stereotypes aside, I never expected us to have our own Kansas (or Texas).

Although discomfiting, I don't know how big a deal it is to allow parents to pull their kids out of science class. Half of the type of kids who would get these exemptions are probably home schooled and the other half probably have to do projects at home trying to disprove what they learned in school.

This is no where on the same level as what's going on in the US bible belt where evolution and the big bang are being written out of text books entirely.

While I am not proud of these kinds of rules, we have to put it in context. The vast majority of Albertan kids will still have the same science lesson as kids outside the province. That small minority that believes in theology as a substitute for science are well within their rights to place their kids at the bottom of the economic food chain. I have no problem with it if you want your kids to be dumber.

Back