News   Jun 26, 2024
 174     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Hamilton - Tim Horton's Field

Bob Young is willing to move the team in Ottawa. Hamilton is playing to fire if they decide to go to West Harbour. Bob Young will move the team.

Bob Young is willing to move the team in Ottawa. Hamilton is playing to fire if they decide to go to West Harbour. Bob Young will move the team.

No offense, but saying "I'll move the team to X if you don't build me Y" is the oldest trick in the book. For every team that moves after making such a threat there are probably a dozen or more who don't. So settle down a bit.

The flaw there is that the CFL has already awarded a franchise to Ottawa conditional upon them getting their own stadium situtation sorted out. So, if they get Lansdowne done, there is already a team in Ottawa....if they don't there is no viable stadium in Ottawa for Young to move his team to.

One argument that seems completely illogical to me is the idea that if the city doesn't find a major tenant for the stadium they will build it somewhere else. That isn't going to happen. It the city decides the West Harbour site is the best location and doesn't have a tenant are you telling me the province will build it in Brampton? Burlington? Why? Are the Ti-cats going to become the Burlington Ti-Cats? I doubt it. The province would seriously harm its relation with the city if it decided not to listen to the elected city council and instead pandered to the Ti-Cats. Hamilton City Council should call the Ti-Cats bluff and go with West Harbour.

I think there are two possible "plan B's" with different levels of viability.

#1 Find a different location and a different CFL team to partner with. Most often talked about is the possiblity of the Argos getting to fix the mistake they made by backing out of the deal at York U.......the "plan" would either be building a stadium at York U which would then be expanded to become a CFL home to the argos and shared with the York football team (this makes a bit of sense for the Pan Ams as the subway will be there by then and the existing track centre at York provides good training facilities) OR Missisauga gets mentioned as a possible home for the stadium with the Argos becoming a suburban team.

#2 Not building a new track stadium at all. Adding temporary seating during the games to the already very good track and field stadium which is Varsity. The other Pan Am sports to be accomodated at the stadium (soccer primarily) can be accomodated at BMO and with less expensive upgrades to places like Centenial and Birchmount and with a smaller secondary venue built elsewhere.

Politically, I believe the province wants Hamilton.....it really cements the "Golden Horseshoe" aspect of the games.....but they have other options and, I believe, the call really resides with the organizing committee now, not the province.

No offense, but saying "I'll move the team to X if you don't build me Y" is the oldest trick in the book. For every team that moves after making such a threat there are probably a dozen or more who don't. So settle down a bit.

If anyone should know that, it is the people of Hamilton. How many times has Copps been used as leverage by NHL owners (please include the current sudden interest Mr. Katz has in Hamilton....conveniently when he is trying to get the City of Edmonton to approve and contribute to his new downtown arena)

City staff will produce a full report regarding the East Mountain cost. There's rumour it'll cost at least $30 to 50 million more for the City than to build at West Harbour.

East Mountain will need new highway ramps, widen local roads, relocation of the hydro corridor, deal with the additional storm water runoff (Red Hill has been closed three times already because of floods), assesment of the Environmental imact on the Eramosa Karst.

Ha ha, so Bob will move his team to Ottawa, and go bankrupt. Meanwhile, a smart entrepreneur will open a new CFL team in Hamilton. What's the down side?

PV+Imaging+Pan+Am+Stadium+view+from+endzone+patio+%5B1%5D.jpg

Group offers to build west harbour stadium

July 28, 2010
By Danielle Wong
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/815920

The White Star Group has sent a letter to city council announcing it is prepared to enter into an agreement with the city, province, Katz and AEG Management Group and the Tiger Cats to build a new west harbour Pan Am stadium.

The e-mail, which was sent to councillors and Mayor Fred Eisenberger late Tuesday, says the White Star Group is willing to build a retractable roof stadium at the west harbour site and provide funds over and above the $110 million slated by municipal, provincial and federal governments.

The group is proposing to build and own the stadium and give the city a leaseback with the option to buy, “with the understanding that Katz, AEG, would manage the facility and the Tiger Cats organization would work out with the management the preferred 10 Games committee requirements.”

Tourism executive director David Adames said tonight it’s too early to tell how much a game changer the letter is.

The letter will be discussed at the mayor’s Pan Am advisory board’s next meeting Tuesday.

Adames said he will be calling White Star property owner Marino Rakovac Thursday to learn more about the proposal.

Ticats to make stadium announcement at 2:15pm
July 29, 2010
The Hamilton Spectator

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are holding a news conference at 2:15 p.m. to make a "major announcement regarding the West Harbour site."

The announcement comes a day after team president Scott Mitchell told the Spectator the team â€will never play at the west harbour.â€

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/Football/article/816433

This is gonna get real interesting now........with no track and field...does Hamilton get any provincial money towards a stadium (regardless of location)....with no track and field and an owner still holding firm....does Hamilton go ahead with the Harbour site? If they do, does Young have a plan B (either within or outside of Hamilton?)....can David Braley own 3 teams in the CFL?

Has anyone notified Jeff Hunt? His group has already been awarded the rights to a CFL team in Ottawa. As far as bluffs go, this is a pretty pathetic one.

Back