Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

LRT related event tonight.

Coming up this Wednesday! Join us and @AcornHamilton to talk about the LRT and the future of the HSR with Eric Tuck!

Today's MOU staff presentation, report, and recommendations.

Livestream in case you want to watch:

Council, in the form of the General Issues committee has voted 11-3 in favour of signing the MOU with the province.

Story from CBC here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/lrt-1.6167672

From the above story:

1631126075758.png

1631126102160.png

1631126136024.png

The LRT has been delayed so long, there's some minor tweaks that could be done to the resurrected LRT:

Just like technology changed so quickly, that Eglinton Crosstown LRT recently cancelled a peaker gas plant to build the Metrolinx battery farm (article) like a UPS for the Crosstown LRT. A Metrolinx mid-construction plan change! And we're a bit earlier (pre-bid).

In our case, Alstom just added a battery option to Flexity LRV vehicles.

There are some massive trees along International Village that are going to be cut down, for a very sun-scorched brick expanse. At summer it's going to be nasty with the lack of shade in International Village with all those trees cut down because of the Hamilton LRT catenary. Even worse with global warming effects. Now, the battery permits elimination of catenary would save the Hamilton downtown trees.

And the cost savings of lack of downtown catenary might be almost enough to add onboard batteries to all Hamilton LRVs. So a budget-wash.

The battery would recharge outside downtown (catenary), to allow the downtown core to be catenary-free and save the nice shade in International Village, to avoid ruining summertime comfort -- you know how hot unshaded downtown streets can become. The current Metrolinx plan to cut down all those massive majestic sumach trees and others that are providing excellent shade/vibe to Hamilton's International Village. Even though they'll plant 3 new trees for every 1 cut down.

Possible win-win-win thanks to real-time technology changes (like the Eglinton Crosstown battery farm surprise)?

I mean. This IS one of my least favourite part of the LRT. The chop down!
Making good shade disappear to a summer scorched paved plaza!

That’s why I suggest the small battery option for 2km of catenaryless ops. It can recharge on the catenary while on the gp outside downtown. No time lost.

I think that could be an excellent solution to avoid cutting down all those trees. I Believe the CityLynx Gold Line in Charlotte North Carolina uses the same technology/idea having no catenaries through uptown charlotte, though the segment without catenaries there is far shorter than 2km

Seems odd that they are using King rather than Main considering. Did this not come up during the public consultation / EA review sessions? Seems like those trees would have been a rallying cry for both LRT supporters and dissenters alike.

Yes, batteries are easier and cheaper than the previous catenary free technology (APS ground level power, and that probably wouldn't be viable in Canada), but still more expensive than standard catenary. Someone would have to pony up the cost - I suspect Metrolinx would say "sure.... but Hamilton you can pay for it as an extra if you want it"

Back