Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Because of the surge of interest in the MSF -- now that the land is purchased and the facility will be built quickly (e.g. 2-3 years earlier) prior to the completion of the Hamilton LRT mainline. So a significant MSF build during Fred Eisenberger's term is a barometer of successful uncancellable completion of the Hamilton LRT.

It's a great time to reposting my 2017 post, for a more detailed imagery of what the MSF will look like.

Here you go. from LRT Presentation of Open House second series.

And zoomed version of the tracks:

upload_2017-4-28_13-3-37-png.107104

Here's what satellite view looks like today:

So the MSF is being built in old industry brownfields.

The Eglinton MSF was industry brownfields too despite being partially occupied by Kodak, hard to explain how they went out of business. Nah we know how.

I wonder if there's an opportunity to make direct deliveries via CP, much like how Hillcrest Shops is receiving TTC streetcars?
Yes. This is exactly how the Hamilton LRVs will be delivered.

This is why the MSF is located adjacent to the CP line (appears approximately 10 meter separation) with closely parallel tracks, with flexibility for crane-lift (from flatbed) or switch (via rolloff method), for transfer of delivery.

I suspect cranelift, as that is simpler for CP -- no decoupling needed -- just pause a scheduled long freight train for a bit and let the MSF cranelift the LRV over with special jigs for safely lifting LRVs. Many LRV manufacturers (not selected yet) provide the needed cranelift jig specs. Vehicle transfer method is likely contingent on LRV selection.

Regardless, delivery is definitelty via mainline. That is the detail I already know.

Not sure if cranelift or rolloff for the transfer between tracks but it very clearly appears both options are preserved thanks to parallel tracks inside common crane rotation radii, and widely spaced enough to park suitable large crane in between, or temporary rolloff infrastructure.

Last edited:
Yes. This is exactly how the Hamilton LRVs will be delivered.

This is why the MSF is located adjacent to the CP line (appears approximately 10 meter separation) with closely parallel tracks, with flexibility for crane-lift (from flatbed) or switch (via rolloff method), for transfer of delivery.

I suspect cranelift, as that is simpler for CP -- no decoupling needed -- just pause a scheduled long freight train for a bit and let the MSF cranelift the LRV over with special jigs for safely lifting LRVs. Many LRV manufacturers (not selected yet) provide the needed cranelift jig specs. Vehicle transfer method is likely contingent on LRV selection.

Regardless, delivery is definitelty via mainline. That is the detail I already know.

Not sure if cranelift or rolloff for the transfer between tracks but it very clearly appears both options are preserved thanks to parallel tracks inside common crane rotation radii, and widely spaced enough to park suitable large crane in between, or temporary rolloff infrastructure.

View attachment 180015

Lifting a car off by crane is NOT going to happen. Nevermind the expense, there is a very serious time factor involved as well that the freight railways simply won't tolerate. It can take hours for the crew to rig for a big lift like that, and then hours after the fact as well. You really think that CP will want to delay their train for hours and hours while this happens?

If cars are to be delivered to CP, they will be done so either by a permanent or temporary ramp.

Dan

Lifting a car off by crane is NOT going to happen. Nevermind the expense, there is a very serious time factor involved as well that the freight railways simply won't tolerate. It can take hours for the crew to rig for a big lift like that, and then hours after the fact as well. You really think that CP will want to delay their train for hours and hours while this happens?

If cars are to be delivered to CP, they will be done so either by a permanent or temporary ramp.
I'd agree being CP and the way the deliveries are done (ION LRT, Ottawa, new streetcars, etc), the process will certainly be ramp based. Thanks for your chime in.

That's a concern -- the original modification of reassigning A-Line "stub" to the Eastgate extension -- created a budget overrun risk.

But that's a "known known", that remains known today. Personally, I'd be fine as a municipal taxpayer to pay a shortfall, but the rest of the city may not -- so there's an obvious solution: The federal government, who hasn't yet done any LRT-project pitch-in to Hamilton yet. So there's an opportunity there, especially at Fed election time.

If a federal pitch-in ends up becoming required, maybe this is an opportunity to combine the top-off with the resurrection of the A-Line LRT as a Waterfront through Mohawk College/StJoe Hospital/Limeridge Mall. A-Line repackaged to the inclusion of mountain residents. A fantastic lemons-to-lemonade opportunity!

Last edited:
I guess the only major hurdle now is when the bids inevitably come in over 1.0 billion
Ford's already said that any cost overruns will be paid by municipalities. I cant find the direct link to his quote, but the province wont be covering overruns.

Ford's already said that any cost overruns will be paid by municipalities. I cant find the direct link to his quote, but the province wont be covering overruns.
To clarify, the major hurdle will be whether or not Hamilton City Council will accept that. (Unless of course there's a contribution from the feds)

I'm stunned the Hamilton LRT is still moving, and I thank God every day. Ford hates LRT and his only MPP in the area is Donna Skelly, a well-known LRT opponent.

To clarify, the major hurdle will be whether or not Hamilton City Council will accept that. (Unless of course there's a contribution from the feds)
I'm sure there would be another mind-numingly long city council debate if there were to be cost overuns, but depending on how much the overuns would be i'm sure there would asinine suggestions to cut some portions or cheapen some design work.

It does not rule out out partial federal-funding option for future LRT extension like a Stage 2 for Hamilton. My view is federal will eventually be involved in future Hamilton LRT extensions.

I'm stunned the Hamilton LRT is still moving, and I thank God every day. Ford hates LRT and his only MPP in the area is Donna Skelly, a well-known LRT opponent.
Reading the current Donna Skelley twitter feeds, you couldn't tell anymore.
You'd think she's almost boasting the LRT.

Some say: "ITS A TRAP", and multiple continue rightful side-eye, for whisper delay tactics. Like platitudes ongoing, while crossing fingers behind back for the gamble of a cost overrun causing the city to go cold-feet. And Hans Solo shot first.

But then again, she might, genuinely have conceded into a grudging tolerance of LRT as a matter of policy and respecting the Fred vote. The city did vote in another term of a pro-LRT mayor.

No tricks. We see them.

Last edited:

Back