News   Jul 15, 2024
 441     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 546     0 

Hamilton Grand (Stinson, 15s)

The website is now open for the public.

The Hamilton Grand

HamiltonGrand.jpg

What is that?? I'm sorry I haven't gone to Hamilton in a while. Is that the original building or is something added. If he's only restoring it EXACTLY as it was before, IS is even worth it??

It's a replica of this building that stands at the same site

historical_photo_1862_large.jpg

Half the building got chopped up so Harry will restore the facade and replicate the rest.

You can read all about the building at the "History" section.

When Harry met Hamilton: the sequel

January 30, 2009
Andrew Dreschel
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/Opinions/article/504473

Harry Stinson's Hamilton Grand project has suddenly grown a heck of a lot grander.

The hotel/condo venture in the downtown core will be almost double the size and cost that Stinson originally unveiled last month.

Instead of a $10-million, six-storey, 80-suite boutique hotel on John Street, Stinson is now planning to build an 11-storey, 160-suite hotel worth about $20 million.

Stinson, once dubbed the "condo king" of Toronto, says he was encouraged to expand the project by Sunil Tulsiani, the founder of a Toronto-based private investment club, whom Stinson is now working with.

In an interview yesterday, Tulsiani said he may have influenced the ramp-up, but the idea was already in Stinson's head and heart.

"I kind of gave him the motivation."

Tulsiani, a former OPP officer and self-described self-made millionaire, has also given Stinson access to hundreds of potential investors through his club.

And Stinson is making the most of it.

On Wednesday, after a sales pitch to members of the club's Mississauga chapter, he pulled in purchasing commitments and deposits on 47 suites, which go for $199,999 apiece.

According to Tulsiani, under the non-profit club's rules, members have up to 15 days to review the deal with their lawyers and back off if they choose.

"I anticipate that maybe four or five will come back and say I don't want it," he said.

"But I anticipate that more than 40 will be firmed up and, by the end of February, I anticipate 100 units (being sold to members)."

Tulsiani says he and most of the leaders who head up the club's six chapters, five of which are based in the GTA, will also buy suites.

Meanwhile, this weekend Stinson is going to be busy pitching to the Kitchener-Waterloo and Burlington-Hamilton-Oakville chapters.

The two men seem a perfect fit: Stinson needs investors; Tulsiani needs investment opportunities to present to the 1,300 members in his club; and both men believe Hamilton's downtown is ripe for a money-making rejuvenation.

Stinson's scheme to turn the former Liaison College and Crazy Horse Saloon -- next to the Royal Connaught -- into a hotel is predicated on finding investors willing to buy a suite as a rental property and then participate in the costs and profits of running a full- service hotel.

Stinson is counting on pre- selling the suites to finance the construction.

Tulsiani, on the other hand, basically leads a private network of individual small entrepreneurs who buy real estate as an investment.

After conducting his own due diligence on projects, he presents select opportunities to members for consideration.

Tulsiani says he views every project he brings forward as both a test of his credibility and, since he invests in them personally, his money.

"If I have a gut feeling or suspicion that there is something wrong with the area, with the projections, with the people ... then I simply do not proceed."

Tulsiani sees Hamilton's downtown core as a market with "huge potential," given ongoing government investments in rail, road and properties.

Despite his legal wrangles with David Mirvish, Stinson clearly made a big splash when he moved to this community last year.

Offbeat and outspoken, he was seen by many as a breath of fresh air, an upstream swimmer in a downstream town.

The sheen faded somewhat after he failed to deliver on his plan to buy and restore the Connaught, but he remains a figure of some fascination.

His new hotel/condo plan won instant credibility through the participation of former mayor Larry Di Ianni and realtor Judy Marsales.

The question now is: Can Stinson land the Hamilton Grand or will he be written off as just another dream salesman?

hamiltongrandyo4.jpg

I dunno, I just felt like it needed a modern touch. Keep in mind this was created in Paint in a matter of minutes. But... I had to do something with his overbearing 10-floor project. It just looks wrong and has no bottom, middle and top like the 6-floor older version did. That's what a classical building needs.

Last edited:
There's two penthouse suites and with 6 storey you won't see anything since the view will be blocked from the Court House and Royal Connaught.

Here's a better rendering.....

2009_Feb9_Hamilton_Grand_ChamberOfCommerce_Invite_large.jpg

Interesting, all the larger residential buildings proposed, under construction or recently built (that I know of) in Hamilton are either 9 or 11 stories. That's a nice height in many ways, but they have no impact on the mass of 15-25 storey commie blocks built downtown in the 60s and 70s.

Stinson proposal gaining in magnitude
'Condo king' adds 12th floor, 20 units to John Street project

February 10, 2009
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/510514

Harry Stinson's Hamilton Grand project is getting grander.

The one-time Toronto "condo king" announced last night he is adding a 12th floor and 20 more units to the proposed John Street project.

Realtor Larry Bomford, who is selling units through Judy Marsales Real Estate Ltd., said there was a very simple reason why Stinson added another floor and more units to the development.

"He figures he can sell it," Bomford said last night at an open house at the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce Waterfront Centre.

The hotel/condo venture in the downtown core will be almost double the size and cost Stinson first unveiled at the end of last year. It was to be a $10-million, six-storey, 80-suite boutique hotel, but now is proposed to be a 12-storey, 180-suite building worth more than $20 million.

It is being eyed for the site of the former Crazy Horse Saloon and the former Liaison College, in between the Royal Connaught and the London Tap House.

As of last night, Stinson and his millionaire partner Sunil Tulsiani had sold 82 units. Forty have been sold since the end of January. Price is just under $200,000 and the units are to be 400 square feet.

Marsales, a former Liberal MPP, is excited by what the project could do for the downtown. Construction could begin in April. "It's nice to have someone who's creating something interesting in the downtown. We've got to try interesting things to create an interesting downtown."

I've been told from Bob Bratina, downtown councillor, that this project is in committee right now, 3 hotels and McMaster.

On April 11 at the Art Gallery of Hamilton, Stinson will make an announcement regarding the Hamilton Grand Hotel Condo, to be built on John Street between King and Main.

Rumour is Stinson will upgrade the proposal to a new tallest for Hamilton, so 40+ storey.

On April 11 at the Art Gallery of Hamilton, Stinson will make an announcement regarding the Hamilton Grand Hotel Condo, to be built on John Street between King and Main.

Rumour is Stinson will upgrade the proposal to a new tallest for Hamilton, so 40+ storey.

Harry is a disaster. He's treading a fine line right now. I'm surprised he sold what he did with the recent density increase to 10 stories. But an increase to 40 stories? I'm making the bet right now that this A) doesn't happen, or B) happens, and after more of his cheesy use car salesman antics, fails.

On top of that, he's selling this at $500/SF. Are Tulsani's investors that dense? 500/SF in Hamilton, or 400/SF for a lot of projects in Toronto.

Back