News   Apr 26, 2024
 46     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 132     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 561     0 

Hamilton Anti-Gentrification Riot

Put aside any philosophical questions about 'gentrification' for one moment.

Will this be effective in accomplishing much of anything, except perhaps a sustained increase in police/security in the area?

Surely not.

Making it, more than merely offensive on its face, but offensive for its waste of energy.

Let me add, that I do not condone violence, vandalism etc. in any way shape or form.

With the above said, as an intellectual exercise I will never understand the mentality of someone or some people in difficulty thinking burning down or destroying their
own neighbourhood somehow makes sense. (it doesn't)

Surely, if your issue were with the rich, you should go march in their neighbourhood and cause trouble there. (again, I'm not advocating this, but it surely makes more sense than damaging your own living conditions)

Finally, 'gentrification' is not, and never has been 'the issue'; the problem is not that nice things exist, its that some folks can't afford them.

The issue is jobs and income and a fair distribution thereof.

No one's poverty is resolved by a storefront remaining vacant or being used by a pay-day lender.

Its resolved by a job w/fair wages, and/or a good pension etc.

I just assume it's a marketing ploy by the city to make people think it's getting nicer there.

Nothing says a strong commitment to a cause like wearing a disguise. No doubt if any of them get arrested, they will demand the full protection of their Charter rights, in fine anarchist style.

Nothing says a strong commitment to a cause like wearing a disguise. No doubt if any of them get arrested, they will demand the full protection of their Charter rights, in fine anarchist style.

Nevermind that - nothing speaks of anarchism more than wanting to use state power to stop gentrification.

AoD

I have known many an anarchist in my time (none of these Hamilton folks, at least I don't think so) and I can confidently state that they wouldn't necessarily be happy with a more fair income distribution in the country. They would be happy if everyone was poor and everything was shite.
They don't want 1-bedroom condos for everyone. They're more about 1-bedroom condos for no one.
They tend to disguise their lack of ambition and self-respect with some sort of social justice charade and I can almost guarantee that the majority are from well enough-off families.
They were probably just drunk on shitty port and 40s and reckoned they needed to act up to give themselves a sense of purpose and accomplishment.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure most of them are actually nice people; just misguided and intemperate.

I just assume it's a marketing ploy by the city to make people think it's getting nicer there.
Ha, you sound like a lot of my friends.
Hamilton is beautiful!....and just getting better every month and I don't mean because of the gentrification necessarily.

Agree. I visited downtown Hamilton for the first time last fall and I was really impressed. It’s a shame these self-styled anarchist shits are trying to wreck their city, and are apparently getting away with it.

Agree. I visited downtown Hamilton for the first time last fall and I was really impressed. It’s a shame these self-styled anarchist shits are trying to wreck their city, and are apparently getting away with it.

Are they? Their lair (or rather the publicly known one) just got trashed last night.

I have known many an anarchist in my time (none of these Hamilton folks, at least I don't think so) and I can confidently state that they wouldn't necessarily be happy with a more fair income distribution in the country. They would be happy if everyone was poor and everything was shite.
They don't want 1-bedroom condos for everyone. They're more about 1-bedroom condos for no one.
They tend to disguise their lack of ambition and self-respect with some sort of social justice charade and I can almost guarantee that the majority are from well enough-off families.
They were probably just drunk on shitty port and 40s and reckoned they needed to act up to give themselves a sense of purpose and accomplishment.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure most of them are actually nice people; just misguided and intemperate.

The common black clothing, disguises and banner sign would tend to dispel that, unless those are standard stepping-out kit for anarchists.

We need to admit that there is something wrong with the Left Wing. They tend to view violence and vandalism as "peaceful" protest. Even attacking others with dissenting viewpoints is viewed as non-violent to them.

We need to admit that there is something wrong with the Left Wing. They tend to view violence and vandalism as "peaceful" protest. Even attacking others with dissenting viewpoints is viewed as non-violent to them.
What? Come on.....first of all, the "left-right" monochromatic dichotomy is not a real reflection of the world. One of the first things I learnt at Carleton whilst there for poli sci was how rubbish this is. Still sticks with me. It's a stupid generalisation of complex viewpoints.

Second of all, there are fool extremists of all persuasions. They're all equally degenerate.

Last edited:

Back