News   May 03, 2024
 967     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 595     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 286     0 

Halfway through the decade in Toronto. What's our status?

It also has comparable urban sprawl to Toronto and has also retained its streetcar system.

I always thought that Melbourne is the most similar city to Toronto on the globe. We can do things that Melbourne has done over here in Toronto, such as utilizing our downtown lane ways.

Economically I think Sydney might be a closer analogue, and Oz sprawls tends to be a lot worse than Canada. But yeah otherwise Melbourne is a good parallel in many ways.

AoD

I think live and let live, conflict avoidance is more apt.

AoD

I think that apathy and what you describe above are two sides of the same coin, one is the more positive manifestation and one the more negative. Sometimes the coin toss lands on the right side (vis a vis intolerance for example) but often it doesn't (vis a vis corruption for example). This may very well be the true essence of Toronto.

Economically I think Sydney might be a closer analogue, and Oz sprawls tends to be a lot worse than Canada. But yeah otherwise Melbourne is a good parallel in many ways.

AoD

It does beg the question though... why should we be emulating those cities? Do they emulate us? Are they doing something we're not, and vice versa?

It does beg the question though... why should we be emulating those cities? Do they emulate us? Are they doing something we're not, and vice versa?

I don't think we can truly emulate another city in the sense that the context is different - we can learn from the successes and failures and see if it can inform our overall urban direction though.

AoD

Back