News   Jul 17, 2024
 262     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 478     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

GTTA: Merging Bus Routes

Even where they don't have overlapping service, more TTC routes should be combined with 905 routes along obviously continuous corridors (like Kennedy, Brimley, etc.). I guess one problem would be the creation of extremely long routes that are next to impossible to maintain consistent headways upon.

Perhaps the question should be is whether Steeles is the logical terminal point for the TTC 43 and the YRT 8. Would it be better to have it at Unionville GO/Markham Downtown/Highway 7?

Doady, I would think one shouldn't worry about the loss of the 49 and 50 to MT. The TTC operates a lot of routes into York Region already. Unionized, public-employed BT drivers share a route with contracted Can-Ar drivers for YRT. Especially as MT and TTC are under the same union - ATU.

That said, ATU 113 is one of the most militant public unions in Ontario, and would strike, legally or not, for any little matter by blowing up something else out of proportion.

Perhaps the question should be is whether Steeles is the logical terminal point for the TTC 43 and the YRT 8. Would it be better to have it at Unionville GO/Markham Downtown/Highway 7?

Unionville GO/Downtown Markham will be a good transfer point between Kennedys once the area's built up.

Steeles isn't a logical terminal point for any route unless the road ends at Steeles...even with the double fare still in play, buses should continue along corridors until it makes no sense to keep serving the corridor. These combined/extended (by contract for now, I guess) routes would make, for example, the plethora of N/S Scarborough routes more viable - instead of a 3,000 rider route picking up where a 7,000 rider route left off, there'd be one longer route of more like 10,000 riders, theoretically reducing transfers and improving frequency (note: invented numbers; and I don't think those 3000 are included in that 7000 as I don't think very many people connect from one Kennedy bus to the other right now). Connect the routes first, take care of the fare issues later.

The most logical terminal for the 43 is the front door of Pacific Mall.

If the Sheppard subway is ever completed then it might have been a good place to split the north-south routes. If you combine Markham and Scarborough, Sheppard is near the middle so the routes to the south and north would be around the same length and they would not be too long. But alas...

Back