News   Apr 24, 2024
 956     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

No one in their right mind is going to use Eglinton as a crosstown route. It's too slow, an unreliable.

In the southern part of the city people {assuming FULL fare integration} will use lakeshore RER and hopefully, at some point, the Midtown line.
This is why calling Eglinton "Crosstown" is a crock of BS.

This is why calling Eglinton "Crosstown" is a crock of BS.

You wouldn't have many people riding it either way - just like there are relatively few riders riding the entire length of BD even if it is completely grade separated. It is simply the wrong mode for the distance travelled. You will need mid-town GO to deal with that.

AoD

You wouldn't have many people riding it either way - just like there are relatively few riders riding the entire length of BD even if it is completely grade separated. It is simply the wrong mode for the distance travelled. You will need mid-town GO to deal with that.

AoD
Are you sure about that? Maybe relative to the total usage of the line yes, but the option for rapid crosstown lines especially when they connect to a ton of nodes of interest (like Eglinton West) is extremely important. Plus even if people aren't travelling end to end, having a section that isn't grade separated and can get stuck behind red lights negatively impacts the rest of the line. We see this with Line 1 where a delay at York University can cause problems for someone riding between Lawrence and Wellesley, only here your source of disruptions are so much bigger and so much impactful.

Are you sure about that? Maybe relative to the total usage of the line yes, but the option for rapid crosstown lines especially when they connect to a ton of nodes of interest (like Eglinton West) is extremely important. Plus even if people aren't travelling end to end, having a section that isn't grade separated and can get stuck behind red lights negatively impacts the rest of the line. We see this with Line 1 where a delay at York University can cause problems for someone riding between Lawrence and Wellesley, only here your source of disruptions are so much bigger and so much impactful.

You try riding BD from Kipling to Kennedy - you can tell me how many people are left from your original ride past Yonge - much less stay on board say over 3/4 of the trip? The few minutes extra - if that - on the at grade portion of the ride on EC is going to be fairly immaterial to overall trip time for a full ride on the length of EC.

At a fundamental level, you will not see strong truly crosstown ridership unless there is a destination at the termini with a very strong draw, given it is not particularly fast ride - and if it does, a slight amount of extra travel time will not affect ridership (over other factors, such as convenience). You can see that effect on Yonge line - where frequent delays (I am sure everyone is familiar with delays at Davisville) will not reduce the draw.

AoD

Last edited:
You try riding BD from Kipling to Kennedy - you can tell me how many people are left from your original ride past Yonge - much less stay on board say over 3/4 of the trip?
I have done that quite a few times but didn't mind it because I had a seat the entire duration. I didn't notice how many people travelled till the end.

I have done that quite a few times but didn't mind it because I had a seat the entire duration. I didn't notice how many people travelled till the end.

I have done it more than a few times for awhile - and I started from Kipling (during rush). By casual observation, I'd say you'd lose like 80% of the original riders when you hit St. George/Bay/Yonge, and another 10% from there to before Kennedy. You would be lucky to get even 5% by the time you get there. It is slow.

AoD

Last edited:
From the Miway thread. Miway and the TTC plans on integrating service and fares in Etobicoke. As a result, Miway will finally be allowed to pick up and drop up passengers within Toronto boundaries. More in doc: https://pub-mississauga.escribemeet...DwxcmxIFD0xKruKBpSDGrOuQXq5ItSUeetPuJ2V2z4cyI

1622753737332.png

Phase 1 corridors.

1622753817596.png

Burnhamthrope Rd will be the first as a pilot project starting in Fall 2021.

1622754060841.png

This good news as at least it shows how the transit agencies see fare integration as an issue that must be overcome. Of course, the REAL issue is why ML has already done something, anything in terms of fare integration. They haven't even updated their website about integration since 2018. The whole point of ML was to coordinate the transit systems in the GTAH to function as a seamless transit network but alas, they are MIA.

Also from the same report:

View attachment 325705

* also of note; the province is not spending one dime of their money on this so far.

As per:

View attachment 325706
That bathurst route confuses me, what exactly are they planning to do?

Right now the current 88 Bathurst travels along bathrust from Seneca King to Steeles, turns east onto Steeles, before terminating at Finch Station. Like many YRT routes, its primary purpose is to funnel people into the TTC Subway, which is where a good chunk of its ridership uses it for. What would this TTC Route 160 plan do?

Right now the current 88 Bathurst travels along bathrust from Seneca King to Steeles, turns east onto Steeles, before terminating at Finch Station. Like many YRT routes, its primary purpose is to funnel people into the TTC Subway, which is where a good chunk of its ridership uses it for.

*nods*

What would this TTC Route 160 plan do?

Not sure. Its not in the report.

But route 160 currently runs Promenade Mall, south to Wilson Stn.

I assume that would continue; but the TTC would be allowed to pick up/drop off passengers both in Toronto and in York Region, similar to what's proposed on other routes and no double-fare at Steeles.

But, I don't know that for sure, since it isn't spelled out.

This good news as at least it shows how the transit agencies see fare integration as an issue that must be overcome. Of course, the REAL issue is why ML has already done something, anything in terms of fare integration. They haven't even updated their website about integration since 2018. The whole point of ML was to coordinate the transit systems in the GTAH to function as a seamless transit network but alas, they are MIA.
Honestly, as long as we have a Regional fare structure by the time GO RER is complete, I'm happy. I do like the little measures coming out of that new Fare Integration and Service Group.

1623011443249.png

Last edited:

Back