News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 733     0 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

I'd go even further. I'd have Metrolinx assume responsibility for all transit agencies in the GTHA, and then run them with 7 different divisions: Metrolinx RT (responsible for all rapid transit), Metrolinx Toronto, Metrolinx Durham, Metrolinx York, Metrolinx Peel, Metrolinx Halton, Metrolinx Hamilton. The latter 6 would deal purely with local transit in those areas, but would be managed by Metrolinx. They would in essence become semi-separate entities under the Metrolinx umbrella. I think that's the right balance between local responsiveness and regional cohesiveness.

What exactly would be Metrolinx's responsibility under this arrangement?

I really don't like the idea of Metrolinx being responsible for the TTC. 80% of Metrolinx's usage would be within the city of Toronto, but, as an agency of the Province of Ontario, they'd be accountable to the 5 million people in the GTA who don't live in Toronto. Those 5 million people would naturally be more concerned about their own transit, than the 80% of GTA transit users who use Toronto transit. The province already short changes Toronto in many ways and this organization would only exacerbate this problem. Torontonians would never get a fair deal under this organization.

I really don't like the idea of Metrolinx being responsible for the TTC. 80% of Metrolinx's usage would be within the city of Toronto, but, as an agency of the Province of Ontario, they'd be accountable to the 5 million people in the GTA who don't live in Toronto. Those 5 million people would naturally be more concerned about their own transit, than the 80% of GTA transit users who use Toronto transit. The province already short changes Toronto in many ways and this organization would only exacerbate this problem. Torontonians would never get a fair deal under this organization.

How do you feel about the province paying for 100% of new infrastructure inside Toronto? I've always said that, we Torontonians, should support higher property taxes to pay for transit. If we aren't willing to do that, and the province pays, expect them to dictate how transit is managed too.

Toronto should contribute.

Even if it's only 10% it makes the city appreciate that Queen's Park cannot be expected to pay for everything, Toronto won't make completely irresponsible and outrageous requests for money, and Torontonians will be effected due to cost over-runs or delays and be able to make their city council accountable as opposed to just blaming all on Queen's Park.

You care a lot more about money and how it's spent when you r own money is at risk.

I think the TTC should be split up into 6 different transit agencies, one for each of the 6 former boroughs. That way, Torontoians, REAL Torontonians, would always get a fair deal and not get short changed all the time. But the Province as you mentioned, is the real problem. Not only should the old city of Toronto be separate from the rest of the GTA, it should also be separate from the rest of Ontario. It is time make Old Toronto its own province, maybe even it's own country, so people downtown don't have fund transit in Scarborough or Mississauga anymore.

I think the TTC should be split up into 6 different transit agencies, one for each of the 6 former boroughs. That way, Torontoians, REAL Torontonians, would always get a fair deal and not get short changed all the time. But the Province as you mentioned, is the real problem. Not only should the old city of Toronto be separate from the rest of the GTA, it should also be separate from the rest of Ontario. It is time make Old Toronto its own province, maybe even it's own country, so people downtown don't have fund transit in Scarborough or Mississauga anymore.

Damn. That's the best idea I've heard all decade. YOU deserve a Nobel prize. Very smart. Wow.

Damn. That's the best idea I've heard all decade. YOU deserve a Nobel prize. Very smart. Wow.

Sarcasm Maybe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is time make Old Toronto its own province, maybe even it's own country, so people downtown don't have fund transit in Scarborough or Mississauga anymore.

I don't know why you seem to think there's something wrong with funding transit in Mississauga. The complaint is that Ontario has been underfunding transit subsidies compared to other GTA municipalities. IIRC, Toronto gets a fraction of the funding per rider that other municipalities do, after the cutbacks in the 90s. It's largely the reason why transit quality in Toronto went downhill then.

Last edited:
Toronto shouldn't have more agencies but rather fewer.

This is what York Region did well. Due to being a blob of many different cities they knew them all having their own transit agencies would be a nightmare and now they have a coordinated and easy to understand system.

The GTAH should have just 6 systems............Ham/Hal/Peel/Tor/YR/Dur. All travel within those areas are the same fare and agency. All fares should be the same whether it be GO/LRT/bus/streetcar/GO Bus/Subway etc.............if you travel in your zone there should be standard fare and let the riders figure out which method and route serves them best.

Once you cross a zone {or regional municipality} you pay an additional fare but a discounted one. It's simple, easy, user friendly, gets rid of a lot of smaller systems, and lets users decide what is best for them and it makes better use of operational funds and infrastructure.

Back