News   Jul 12, 2024
 982     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 855     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 347     0 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

GO has a longer fare window: I think it’s 4 hours – plenty of reasonable trips can take that long, especially if there are delays.

Right, @nfitz said 3 hours; but if there is no co-pay, then a combined trip still uses the TTC window for that portion of the trip.

I'm fine with the GO fares remaining a few cents more expensive.

I simply want free (or a lot cheaper) transfers to/from TTC.

Also, for some trips now GO is cheaper. I often take (say) a 6:55 train from Danforth to Exhibition to watch a game, for $3.70. The game ends at 9:30, and if I tap in at 9:45 pm at Exhibition, I get a free trip back to Danforth (3-hour transfer). Total price is $3.70 compared to $6.60 on the slower TTC. Though a combined TTC/GO trip is $7.00.

i respectively disagree. i think the base fare has to be the same as the TTC fare and the transfer has to be 100% free.

interesting anecdote nonetheless. thanks for sharing.

GO has a longer fare window: I think it’s 4 hours – plenty of reasonable trips can take that long, especially if there are delays.
Three hours for transfers ... or at least for doubling-back. I have examples on my Presto where the free return worked for 2:55 and didn't for 3:02.

Also I've tapped on, forgotten to tap off, but not worried about it because I know I'm travelling again within 3 hours - but then instead of tapping me off ... it does the penalty fare. Oh well, when I phoned in, they fixed the charge with no complaints - even giving me back the free return!

i respectively disagree. i think the base fare has to be the same as the TTC fare and the transfer has to be 100% free.
Ideally that would be great. I'd be thrilled though if I only had to pay an extra 40¢ to transfer from TTC to GO.

interesting anecdote nonetheless. thanks for sharing.
It might be that, in time, fare integration may introduce some zone fares so the cross-town trips in Toronto cost more than 3-4km local trips. Who knows. I don't think you would turn down fare integration where a trip that includes GO cost 40 cents more.

It might be that, in time, fare integration may introduce some zone fares so the cross-town trips in Toronto cost more than 3-4km local trips. Who knows. I don't think you would turn down fare integration where a trip that includes GO cost 40 cents more.
With those who have the longest TTC commutes, also being the poorest, and in priority neighbourhoods, TTC fare zones are a non-starter.

With those who have the longest TTC commutes, also being the poorest, and in priority neighbourhoods, TTC fare zones are a non-starter.
It might be more a matter of making local trips cheaper.

GO shouldn't be any more than the TTC. Technology has absolutely nothing to do with your trip. You are going from A to B so who cares how you get there? You don't pay more for the subway than you do for the bus even though the subway is faster and more comfortable so why should it be any different for taking a GO train? As for the extra 40 cents mentioned, that may not be much to you but maybe a great deal to someone else. This is why transit agencies are hesitant about raising fares even just to keep up with inflation.............even a small increase can result in lower ridership.

Having a different fare also is a poor usage of transit infrastructure. Someone leaving from Rouge Hill taking the bus all the way to Kennedy or someone taking the streetcar from Long Branch to Union have the options of GO but don't take it because it's too expensive. Having GO at a standard TTC price means those riders will take GO so instead of needing much longer bus/streetcar routes to serve them and hence the TTC can have much more frequent shorter trips to their local GO station just like with the subways.

proposed-fare-integration.png

A + B = TTC fare.

within Toronto (or any 2 combined zones) the fare by distance should be irrelevant.
GO shouldn't be any more than the TTC. Technology has absolutely nothing to do with your trip. You are going from A to B so who cares how you get there? You don't pay more for the subway than you do for the bus even though the subway is faster and more comfortable so why should it be any different for taking a GO train? As for the extra 40 cents mentioned, that may not be much to you but maybe a great deal to someone else. This is why transit agencies are hesitant about raising fares even just to keep up with inflation.............even a small increase can result in lower ridership.

Having a different fare also is a poor usage of transit infrastructure. Someone leaving from Rouge Hill taking the bus all the way to Kennedy or someone taking the streetcar from Long Branch to Union have the options of GO but don't take it because it's too expensive. Having GO at a standard TTC price means those riders will take GO so instead of needing much longer bus/streetcar routes to serve them and hence the TTC can have much more frequent shorter trips to their local GO station just like with the subways.

yes exactly. one flat fare for any two zones regardless of mode or agency. completely integrated and interchangeable. just how it should be.

I don't disagree, necessarily. I'm just willing to accept progress rather than spurning anything less than perfect. People should be willing to put some water in their wine or they will be perpetually disappointed.

View attachment 486882

A + B = TTC fare.

within Toronto (or any 2 combined zones) the fare by distance should be irrelevant.

yes exactly. one flat fare for any two zones regardless of mode or agency. completely integrated and interchangeable. just how it should be.
yes, but it does have some implications - should a bus ride from Hamilton to Waterloo Region really be $3.20?

riders will take GO so instead of needing much longer bus/streetcar routes to serve them
or instead of much longer subway rides! (already plenty of people take UP express from Bloor(Dundas West) to Union instead of taking the subway, and the time save would be greater for longer distances (e.g take Barrie GO from Caledonia to Union instead of line 5 to line 1)

yes, but it does have some implications - should a bus ride from Hamilton to Waterloo Region really be $3.20?

that's a valid point, but again I don't really care about anything outside of Toronto. the website is called UrbanToronto, not SuburbanGTHA. the Province can figure out what makes sense for them.

should it? sure.
will it? probably not.

should Oakville and Burlington be one zone? should a trip from Durham to Toronto cost as much as a trip from Mississauga to Toronto? things like this can be debated endlessly. i'm only interested in how Toronto is affected.

that's a valid point, but again I don't really care about anything outside of Toronto. the website is called UrbanToronto, not SuburbanGTHA. the Province can figure out what makes sense for them.

should it? sure.
will it? probably not.

should Oakville and Burlington be one zone? should a trip from Durham to Toronto cost as much as a trip from Mississauga to Toronto? things like this can be debated endlessly. i'm only interested in how Toronto is affected.
The ARTM does this excellently in Montreal with their fare zone system for the entire region. Integrating all transit modes onto one fare payment method is incredibly accessible and efficient. Makes being a tourist/visitor much more convenient and simple.

Back