News   Jul 04, 2024
 736     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 618     1 

GTA handed Conservatives their majority

archanfel

Member Bio
Reaction score
Isn't that nice? Conservatives got 19 more seats in the GTA. We pretty much handed them the majority.

It's sad really. At one point, the Liberal party actually was the socially liberal and fiscally responsible voice of Canada. I don't think Canadians abandoned the Liberals despite what some claims as the polarization of Canadian politics. Instead, the Liberals abandoned the Canadian people. Instead of attracting the progressive members of the PC party, the Liberals abandoned centrists to the Conservatives.

I am very happy tonight. 4 years of stable government and Toronto has finally voted in some MPs on the right side of the house!!!!

Pretty dramatic change over 2008: http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/05/federal_election_2011_results/?refresh

Makes me want to drive around the suburbs and shout angrily at the electorate.

It's interesting to see a good chunk of Ford's territory on this map shifting further to the left, though. These tend to be the most disadvantaged and vulnerable members of society, who in the past have voted, in spite of themselves, for a right-wing party that would obviously reduce services that they so urgently need. Somebody is getting the point...

Last edited:
Pretty dramatic change over 2008: http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/05/federal_election_2011_results/?refresh

It's interesting to see a good chunk of Ford's territory on this map shifting further to the left, though. These tend to be the most disadvantaged and vulnerable members of society, who in the past have voted, in spite of themselves, for a right-wing party that would obviously reduce services that they so urgently need. Somebody is getting the point...

How can you shout at people for having a differing opinion than yours? Don't you believe in democracy or only when your party is the beneficiary?

I don't think they are the most disadvantaged and vulnerable members, they are simply the most depending members. You can't argue that somebody living in a comfortable social housing apartment is more vulnerable than somebody living in a basement room without a window. However, the former depends on the services that they take for granted (while refusing to give up for the more vulnerable members), whereas the later got nothing to lose voting for the Conservatives.

Absolutely tragic. I can't get over the feeling that I'm gonna puke.

ditto....

The bright side, if there is one, is that the progressive majority in this country has four years regroup and figure out how to do it right next time. Let go of political dead weight and refresh the progressive centre- left, start a progressive grass roots movement across the country.

With their hands untied, the Conservatives are likely to make some big mistakes and provide plenty of fodder for the next election.

I only hope they don't try to unite the left. I'd rather see some proportional representation with a plurality of political parties.

Ah, it won't be so bad. The Lib's will rebuild and win the 2015 election thanks to Ontario and Toronto. The block will retake Quebec and relegate the NDP back to the sideshow party they always are Federally, and the Conservatives will revert to a western based party with blocks of Ontario and the Maritimes. Balance shall return to the force, as they say.

I'm glad to see McTeauge gone. John Cannis (my riding), too.

Hats off to the NDP slapping the separatists silly. I'm no NDP'er, and I don't like Layton, but it was a really wonderful turn of events - they obliterated them.

I disagree. Barring a major resurgence of separatist support in Quebec the bloc will never recover. I half expect to see them disband and either sit as independents or join up with either the NDP or the Greens.

The last thing I want to see is a return to the way things were before. We need some democratic reform in this country.

I think it could break both ways and it is the economy that matters. Despite all the partisan talk and small issues the conservative government will either solidify it's national strength or get it's hat handed to it in the next election based on economic conditions. It won't be easy because now Harper will be in the spotlight even for factors like oil prices, inflation, housing markets etc. that he has no control over.

I think it could break both ways and it is the economy that matters. Despite all the partisan talk and small issues the conservative government will either solidify it's national strength or get it's hat handed to it in the next election based on economic conditions. It won't be easy because now Harper will be in the spotlight even for factors like oil prices, inflation, housing markets etc. that he has no control over.

It depends on whether the Liberals can reposition themselves. Harper had it easy after inheriting a strong fiscal position from the Liberals, but he blew it. Yet nobody called him out for it. When was the last time the federal Conservatives balanced the budget? Somehow they became the fiscally responsible ones. If the Liberals insist to be the progressive party (a.k.a. NDP wannabes) rather than the socially liberal and fiscally responsible party, I doubt they would do any better next time.

Did you even look at the maps in your links? Toronto proper, including its edges, was unanimously Liberal up until last night. Unless you are hinting that the Liberals are a right of centre party, in which case we will simply agree to disagree...

I think we should consider banning those in Scarborough and Etobicoke from voting, at least until they pass a civics class. These are the areas where Ford won by a landslide, yet they are almost entirely now Liberal and NDP! Seriously, do these people not understand how political positions work, or are they simply just stupid? I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume their reasonings come from anger of their Transit City lines being cut, rather than utter ignorance of political policies.

TrickyRicky - With respect, it wasn't hard for the Liberals to balance the budget under Chretien. They were in power during the largest economic expansion in history and had absolute dictatorial power thanks to their solid majority. Didn't hurt that they were virtually unopposed at every election, either. There was no pressure to compromise with other parties and they could do as they wished; a power that Paul Martin used wisely for the overall benefit of the nation. Harper was in a minority position and had to concede to the will of the opposition, which was to spend stimulus money. Hard to deny that both the Liberals and NDP pushing hard for the stimulus.

I find it difficult to believe that Harper is a spendthrift at heart, but rather he did what he did to retain power - not a laudable move, IMO. With a majority, we will see if the spending spree continues...

It depends on whether the Liberals can reposition themselves. Harper had it easy after inheriting a strong fiscal position from the Liberals, but he blew it. Yet nobody called him out for it. When was the last time the federal Conservatives balanced the budget? Somehow they became the fiscally responsible ones. If the Liberals insist to be the progressive party (a.k.a. NDP wannabes) rather than the socially liberal and fiscally responsible party, I doubt they would do any better next time.

The Liberals have a rocky road ahead of them, but I predict that they position themselves as the 'voice of reason' in the House. There will be times where they side with the NDP, and times they side with the Conservatives.

Back