News   Jul 11, 2024
 204     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 554     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2.1K     2 

Greater Toronto's Sprawl

Only 13% growth for Burlington? Milton's projected growth is crazy, both in absolute terms and relative terms.

Reined-in by the escarpment and the 407, I think Burlington is approaching build-out, no?

It would explain the increase in condos/multi-unit res in Burlington over the last ten years.

These boomtowns should also create their own CBDs and entertainment sections so they would less likely to have to commute to Toronto.

These boomtowns should also create their own CBDs and entertainment sections so they would less likely to have to commute to Toronto.

That's a worthy thought as far as it goes. So long as downtown Toronto is the growing attractor it is, especially from the entertainment side, the pressure will be to commute. It's how the region's left to commute that's the real trick.

That's a worthy thought as far as it goes. So long as downtown Toronto is the growing attractor it is, especially from the entertainment side, the pressure will be to commute. It's how the region's left to commute that's the real trick.

I agree. It looks like places like VMC and Markham Centre will have a lot of nice entertainment options but you're not going to replace the lakeshore or opera house or TSO or anything else along those lines. Downtown will always be downtown.

If Markham had a truly urban vision, it would call itself a city, not a town. After all, typical suburban development is an attempt to imitate small town, rural lifestyle. The fact that Markham still wants to be "town" still shows suburban/rural mentality. Small-town mentality is also expressed in its opposition to social housing, while every other 905 municipality is clamouring for more social housing. Markham is only curbing sprawl to inflate housing prices and exclude the poor. That's the opposite of thinking big, it's thinking small, like small town. Cities are urban. Small towns are not.

So explain to me the City of Waterloo. By no means is it a 'city' or 'urban' as you have explained it and the place is notoriously known for "small town" mentality.

Waterloo has also benefited from Kitchener commitment to social services given that the majority of services are in Kitchener.

Last edited:
The projections are pretty far of from reality.

Toronto projected population end of 2011, 2.764,680

Employment in the city of Toronto projected for end of 2011, 1,615,617 (actual in currently under 1.3 million in the city of Toronto).

http://www.toronto.ca/torontoplan/pdf/flash_sec3.pdf : population

http://www.toronto.ca/torontoplan/pdf/flash_sec6.pdf : employment in the city *

* refers to jobs located in the city, not employment rate.

Yea I was going to point this out - the Toronto numbers are so far from reality I have no idea how this report was even conceived - was it written 10+ years ago?
Employment seems extremely off and even the population!

What about suburban numbers ? i.e. for Markham / Vaughan and the like - are these closer to reality at all ?

Mississauga will only take 15%!?!? I don't believe that. More like 50% for me.

I can't believe how this article gets all over bashing Mississauga for not taking enough people. They criticize Mississauga for having purely condos in the city centre, and yet at the same time they don't take enough people? They don't realize that the developers are expected to appeal the height restrictions in the Hurontario Corridor Master Plan just to build 60-70 story hotels/condos instead of the max of 25 storeys imposed outside the City Centre area, right?

<ex. Pinnacle's 50-storey at Hurontario/Eglinton, which is zoned for 25 storeys only; and Cooksville's 42-storey Mariott hotel, which is zoned for 25 storeys>

Or maybe because Peel doesn't want Mississauga to grow that much so that the power/authority will be shifted to favour Brampton?

On a side note, Brampton and Vaughan creep me out. But I understand why Oakville needs to develop their northern part: due to the planned BRT along Dundas. Milton also has Trafalgar BRT planned, so they will "attach" to Mississauga.

Last edited:
Here's a link to an interesting article on what the next generation is looking for in new homes:

No McMansions for Millennials

Here's what Generation Y doesn't want: formal living rooms, soaker bathtubs, dependence on a car.

In other words, they don't want their parents' homes.

Much of this week's National Association of Home Builders conference has dwelled on the housing needs of an aging baby boomer population. But their children actually represent an even larger demographic. An estimated 80 million people comprise the category known as "Gen Y," youth born roughly between 1980 and the early 2000s. The boomers, meanwhile, boast 76 million.

Gen Y housing preferences are the subject of at least two panels at this week's convention. A key finding: They want to walk everywhere. Surveys show that 13% carpool to work, while 7% walk, said Melina Duggal, a principal with Orlando-based real estate adviser RCLCO. A whopping 88% want to be in an urban setting, but since cities themselves can be so expensive, places with shopping, dining and transit such as Bethesda and Arlington in the Washington suburbs will do just fine.

"One-third are willing to pay for the ability to walk," Ms. Duggal said. "They don't want to be in a cookie-cutter type of development. ...The suburbs will need to evolve to be attractive to Gen Y."

Outdoor space is important-but please, just a place to put the grill and have some friends over. Lawn-mowing not desired. Amenities such as fitness centers, game rooms and party rooms are important ("Is the room big enough to host a baby shower?" a millennial might think). "Outdoor fire pits," suggested Tony Weremeichik of Canin Associates, an architecture firm in Orlando. "Consider designing outdoor spaces as if they were living rooms."

Smaller rooms and fewer cavernous hallways to get everywhere, a bigger shower stall and skip the tub, he said. Oh, but don't forget space in front of the television for the Wii, and space to eat meals while glued to the tube, because dinner parties and families gathered around the table are so last-Gen. And maybe a little nook in the laundry room for Rover's bed?

In his presentation, KTGY Group residential designer David Senden showed slide after slide of dwellings that looked like a cross between a hotel lobby and the set of "Melrose Place."

He christened the subset of the generation delaying marriage and family as "dawdlers."

"A house in the suburbs is not for them," Mr. Senden said. "At least not yet."

Places to congregate are more important than a big apartment, he cautioned. He showed one layout of a studio apartment-350 square feet, as big as Mom and Dad's Great Room. Common space has migrated to "club rooms," he said, where Gen-Y residents can host meals and hang out before heading to a common movie-screening room or rooftop swimming pool that they share with the building's other tenants.

The Great Recession and its effects on young people's wages will affect how much home they can buy or rent for years to come.

"Not too many college grads can afford a lot of space in the city," he said. "Think lots of amenities with little tiny units-and a lot of them to keep (fees) down. ...The things these places are doing is constantly coordinating activities. The residents get to know each other and it makes for a much livelier and friendlier environment."

just a quick question;
how likely do you guys think that toronto, york + peel + durham regions will be amalgamated into one mega-mega city?
I doubt it would happen until at least the 22nd century. First I think we'd see communities within York and Durham amalgamating. Not sure that will happen in Peel.

Mississauga will only take 15%!?!? I don't believe that. More like 50% for me.

50% for you? Would that be half your body or do you live with an even number of people currently. I'm sure that with most of the land in Mississauga relatively new (post 1980) single detached developments, not much land vacant, and the area being less walkable than older neighbourhoods there is some serious obstacles to Mississauga taking 50% of the GTA's growth.

What about suburban numbers ? i.e. for Markham / Vaughan and the like - are these closer to reality at all ?

I don't know across the board but I do know Markham is already ahead of its pace.
Places to Grow had them at 273K in 2006 and about 338K in 2016. They're definitely past 300K already; probably around 305K.

According to the city's site, Vaughan is now over 292K. That's up from 249K in 2006, on the way to 329K in 2016.

I'm still waiting for Doaddy to retun and back up the riddiculous assertion that Markham is opposed to social housing funding...

Back