News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 671     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 307     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

IIRC only the first two tracks closest to Union will be restored with wood as the original shed was; and the remainder will be metal with the green roof on top.
Hopefully someone can confirm.

Actually a project I am working on - and you are correct that the roof of these 2 tracks (track 1 and track 2) are being rebuilt to match the original (heritage requirement/compromise) - this work also included restoring the "smoke vent panels" - those large concrete sections above the tracks

There will be a strip of light above each track, where it's showing darkly between the lighten bands in the image above.

The crane is down and is being loaded onto flat bed trucks, I can't take pictures cause the MLSE building blocks my view of this part of the train shed

The crane coming down. From Saturday.

IMG_0638.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 1,280
It looks so odd not seeing that crane there, but nice also.

Looking at the hole today in the roof, they should have the steel in place this week to support the glazing and the glazing up in the next 2 or 3 weeks. No snow on riders standing under the new roof this winter.

And the Metrolinx Flickr site got the photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolinx

AoD

Oct 2014 - Union Station Revitalization Train Shed by Metrolinx, on Flickr

Looks so odd without the crane there, but it's good to see another box soon to be checked off the list. On another note, are there any plans to make the lighting of the atrium more prominent? I think it would look a lot better with some more illumination in the roof.

EDIT:

Oct 2014 - Union Station Revitalization Train Shed by Metrolinx, on Flickr

I have to say that it also looks a bit drab in the day too; was hoping for a more whitish colour of glass rather than a dull grey.

Last edited:
I have to say that it also looks a bit drab in the day too; was hoping for a more whitish colour of glass rather than a dull grey.

Agreed. I also hoped it went the full length of the platform but I guess that was too much money

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. I also hoped it went the full length of the platform but I guess that was too much money

I was under the impression it was because they had to preserve a portion of the historic shed. Because keeping some pieces of iron is important for whatever reason, even though Union has been torn down and rebuilt 3 times by now.

P23:

That's what been put forward as an argument, and I don't doubt that it is from a bureaucratic perspective. That said, I am really curious as to the rationale behind the designation as a National Historic Site back in 1975 really includes the shed as a matter of principal, or whether it is in responsible to development pressures at the time.

And to further that, I don't see the shed at Montreal's Windsor station being preserved even though it also has NHS designation.

AoD

Last edited:
Looks so odd without the crane there, but it's good to see another box soon to be checked off the list. On another note, are there any plans to make the lighting of the atrium more prominent? I think it would look a lot better with some more illumination in the roof.

EDIT:

Does anyone know how they are going to keep this structure clean? The glass on the bottom side is filthy as are the glass panels on the sides below the box. Is there some washing system built into the framing or are we going to see this only cleaned once every five years or something? If they ever do uplighting on the box it will have to be cleaned.

Does anyone know how they are going to keep this structure clean? The glass on the bottom side is filthy as are the glass panels on the sides below the box. Is there some washing system built into the framing or are we going to see this only cleaned once every five years or something? If they ever do uplighting on the box it will have to be cleaned.

The track around the edge of the roof is for the cleaning rig. I don't know about the inside, probably a scissor lift or something.

Back