News   Apr 25, 2024
 609     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 508     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 756     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

The whole Alsop stilts thing seems fun when it's novel and rare. If we start doing it all over the place, I think the style might start to look increasingly awkward.

Anyway, seems like a big improvement over what we have now (which is almost as bad as one can imagine, really), but the renders don't really inspire a Wow.

A bit boring but something i noticed in that article is the quote "he proposed atrium, “a floating glass box” supported by pillars, is remiscent of Will Alsop’s OCAD tabletop design"

Why do a crappy ripoff when they could have just asked Alsop to do it himself.

Again showing the typical canadian mindset.

Best of both worlds

This seems to me a very sensible proposal. We keep part of what is, while improving the train shed overall. I like the renders. Not every project is going to be absolutely stunning, though there are some delicious train sheds out there that I'd love to see emulated.

Re: Things on poles resembling pixie sticks. I agree that this has been done, but I look at it the same way as I might swoopy elements in 1960's buildings. Just because there are some similarities in say, port cocheres between buildings of the same era, doesn't make me dislike swoopy port-cocheres with holes drilled into them. I simply say "Isn't that 60's?". We have OCAD, this proposal and the Clear Spirit that seem to use this approach, three in the city doesn't seem too much to me.

And besides OCAD, there's a touch of Ottawa Station to it, too
Photo-7568.jpg

As for the render, where are the stairwells?

All the stairwells are switching from the current walled sight-line obstacles to railings with glass walls below. You can see some of them in the rendering... they just look like handrails on mid-platform stairwells and like glass boxes on end-of-platform stairwells.

access.jpg

014.jpg

I think the new glass roof section will be absolutely stunning, to say the least. Shame it wasn't built ten or even twenty years ago... and still more of a shame that we will have to wait another half-decade before it is completed. I am so happy to hear that they will also convert the old sections of the remaining shed into green roofs.

that whole section down to the Gardiner is like one big construction zone now with Pinnacle, MLS and Telus and more.

It does make sense, if you put your mind to it. And, once again, imagine it reinstalled elsewhere as some kind of arts/cultural/thrashabout space, and it might actually seem rather attractive.

Don't be so hasty about waxing this Bush.

If there is one thing that makes Toronto look dumpy from CN Tower photos its the shed. Oh just imagine the possibilities if it wasn't historic!

Ah, but what kinds of people are prone to judging Toronto by what you see from the CN Tower?

I completely agree with the idea of dismantling it and moving it elsewhere. It'd be a great super-sized Wychwood Barns. I just don't think it serves very well as a train shed, particularly since its preservation will forever preclude any electrification.

Back